A lot of new Sigs in Tennessee

This is a discussion on A lot of new Sigs in Tennessee within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My local news station had a report last night that Knoxville Police Department was ditching the .40 Glock 22 in favor of .45 Sig Sauer. ...

Thread: A lot of new Sigs in Tennessee

My local news station had a report last night that Knoxville Police Department was ditching the .40 Glock 22 in favor of .45 Sig Sauer. The article was front page of our news paper today. Although it did not state what model of Sig they chose, it appeared to be a 220.

The police chief stated that the Glock has to be replaced every 4 years while the Sig is every 10 years. (Maybe some LEOs have an opinion on this- but it was news to me.) He said the officers who tested the Sig were more accurate when shooting the new guns and were in favor of the higher caliber. The article also states each officer would carry 5- 8 round magazines in place of 3- 15 round mags they now carry. So it looks like 225 new Sigs are on their way to Tennessee.

This is one video if anybody cares to watch.
    KPD officers to get new service weapons
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Fascinating. I did indeed like the 220. But it is a complex machine in the frame. Glocks that have thousands of rounds through them are just as good as any weapon

Perhaps it was just a caliber issue. The sig is he best for that

Well that'll put a lot of excellent used GLOCKs into circulation. Hope the Sigs work great for the LEO's.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Impressive. I wonder if any other police departments will ditch the Glock in favor of a Sig or another brand of gun?

Indeed. I will take a trade in any day. Glocks are the easiest fixer uppers.

VIP Member
    The .40 was always a punchy round - for me, anyway. A .40 is like a THWAP! in recoil and a .45 a gentler WHUMP!

And if it gets cops to shoot more accurately, then it's a win-win.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I'm curious as to how the dept will have them carry 5 magazines. I've seen the 3 mag pouches...maybe a bandolier? Ankle carry the spares?

I am a huge Sig fan (and the P220 specifically) but saying the Sig is more durable... really? The Glocks had to be replaced every 4 years and the Sigs will last for 10? That might be open to some debate.

Also, they are paying $600 for the Glocks? Because I would pay less than that at my LGS (you know... if they had any in stock) and I'm not buying in bulk...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I am a huge Sig fan (and the P220 specifically) but saying the Sig is more durable... really? The Glocks had to be replaced every 4 years and the Sigs will last for 10? That might be open to some debate.

Also, they are paying $600 for the Glocks? Because I would pay less than that at my LGS (you know... if they had any in stock) and I'm not buying in bulk...
    Normally the Govt cost included spare parts, Replacement, armour training ETC which your LGS doesn't normally supply.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Sponsored Links