Used p228 vs New p229. Serious thought.....

This is a discussion on Used p228 vs New p229. Serious thought..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I copied and pasted this from another forum I'm a member of (sigtalk.com for all you sig fans) and just didn't feel like typing again..... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Used p228 vs New p229. Serious thought.....

Used p228 vs New p229. Serious thought.....

I copied and pasted this from another forum I'm a member of (sigtalk.com for all you sig fans) and just didn't feel like typing again..... The same application's apply, but I kind of want another view on this. Please bear with me..

Which would you choose? Which would you carry?

I like the p229. I like the way it shoots, I like how (in 9mm) the weight mitigates recoil and makes target reacquisition quicker. I have never shot it in any other caliber. New, they are like 1000$, which all of you should know. They are rather ubiquitous, so parts are easy to find. 9mm p229's are rare, in my area.

I have never held a p228, let alone shoot one. I want it in 9mm, which is this model's sole chambering. The ones I am looking at are swiss police trade-in, which means it's stamped. This, to me, is rather desirable. I feel like this gives the gun a story. They are german-made. They are NOT CPO, so they have no warranty (repairs are out of pocket). I don't know how easy parts are to find for it. They have holster wear, but it will be in a holster anyway, so that doesn't bother me. p228's are not common, but not rare, but are increasing in rarity. The p229 apparently replaced the p228, so I can only assume that they are approximately the same size, save for weight as the p229 is built on a .40 caliber chambering. Heavier slide and all that, something everyone on here probably already know.

Both will remain unmodified. No aftermarket trigger work, no lights (maybe night sights as it is going to be my carry), no lasers, no nothing.

In this respect, I have looked around and found they are rather similarly sized, as the p229 was the "replacement" for the p228. P228's are, as I have come to find, are classics. I choose 9mm because I find it more then adequate in defense (with the right ammo) and because they are more economic to shoot and practice with.

Just as a way of reference, I am 5'11", 155-ish pounds. I do not currently carry, my permit hasn't arrived. I can't carry a full size duty pistol, I carry my p250 full size (home-defender), by way of what I consider a full sized pistol. I cannot move adequately without having to readjust, especially when sitting. I do not want a "subcompact." My hands are smallish, but I have long fingers and big palms. Because of this, my pinky (and in some cases, ring ringer too) hang off the bottom. To me, a gun carries on the hip (or appendix, or shoulder, or whatever) is a COMFORTING experience, not a comfortable one.

I prefer hammer fired, and I prefer Sig. I like their fit and finish. I like their history. These are the guns I have kind of settled on, beating out numerous CZ, FNH, Glock (at one point), H&K, S&W, and others. No gripes about them, they just don't feel right to me. I have shot numerous of each in the recent days and spent much money on gun rental....

I know that I have started a lot of "this or that" threads lately, and I am sorry for this. This is the first one that I am trying to get some actual information from. I don't make a lot of money, so this is why I need some SERIOUS opinion. Money must be wisely spent, and I probably can't buy another gun for a LONG time, so I am trying to amass as much information as possible on a carry gun.

Thank you all for any, and all, information you can give me on this.

2. Remove Ads

I have a sig 229 in 9mm but I have a discontinued model the SCT (17 round mags and different sights) I love it. For me I would get a new one over the older used but that's me. A SAS 229 and a M11-A1 are going to be pretty much the same. What ever you choose will be fine it's just up to your personal preference.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    You don't say how much the used 228 is, but I'll assume it will go for around $5-600.
    I would opt for IT.
    And if its less, all the better.

It is a very accurate firearm, more so than probably the 229.

You say you will carry this weapon, but you "cannot carry a full size firearm".
    The 228 is close to a FS pistol. in dimensions.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Re: Used p228 vs New p229. Serious thought.....

In reference to my 250, which is 8 inches overall. Plus, the 250 is a bit blocky. The rail doesn't really help in that.....

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    I'd take the P228. There are no real, quantifiable advantages (save maybe a few ounces of weight savings), but the P228 simply fits and feels better in my hand. As oneshot says, however, it's a fairly large pistol for a "compact." Only you will be able to tell if it's suitable in that department, but it is otherwise a TERRIFIC pistol.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Sig comments...

I like Sigs and have 6 of them, so I approve of your brand choice. I have the P229 in .40, as well as a P226 in 9mm. The P226 is essentially the full size version of the P228, with longer barrel, slide and grip. I have handled a P228. I think in your situation I might go with the P228, as it is slightly thinner in the slide than the P229, and might carry better. The P229 is an excellent gun, but tends to be sort of wide for carry in my opinion.

The only Sig 9mm I have actually carried is the P239, which is a single stack gun having 8+1 capacity and a thinner slide and grip than the P228. I like the size of the P239, and 8+1 rounds seems adequate to me.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have both and prefer the 228 in 9mm. Its slightly thinner slide makes it easier to carry IWB for me.
    I also like that they're becoming a little rarer as time goes on.

They 228 is getting harder and harder to find, HOWEVER, I am finding a lot of these swiss police turn-in's. I guess no one wants the importer stamp or the PD branding... I think it adds character and gives the gun a story.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I have owned three P229's and a P239, my current Sig is a P229 SCT. If I were in your place I would choose the P228 on weight and probably price, (you didn't list the price of the P228, but the Swiss LEO guns have been going for ~ $500). Since you desire your Sig in 9mm the P228 is the king of the compact service 9's. Keep in mind one benefit to going with a P229 would be to exchange Bbls. from .40, .357 Sig, and 9mm.

Sig's are a thick gun and with your size a P239 may be a better choice for a CCW. Either way get a gun belt and quality holster.

155 lbs @ 5'11"? I agree with Matthew & Pogo. IMHO, you're a prime candidate for a 239 for EDC. One of my (185 @ 5'9") all-time favorites.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I am not a big guy. I guess I like having more than 10 rounds.

Your choice (ain't it GREAT?)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Your choice (ain't it GREAT?)
    Yes sir.

.380, to me, is a rather useless caliber..... Small, underpowered, too low of a payload. I can't shoot a .45 with ANY kind of accuracy, unless I take forever to aim. .40 and .357 are just too expensive. 9mm is what I shoot best, and can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by hwarang54 View Post
    .380, to me, is a rather useless caliber..... Small, underpowered, too low of a payload...
    I give up. Who mentioned a .380?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links