.45 Super in M&P45?

This is a discussion on .45 Super in M&P45? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any of you have an M&P45 that they've put .45 Super though? If so, what brand/weight did you use and how'd it run? I have ...

Thread: .45 Super in M&P45?

.45 Super in M&P45?

Any of you have an M&P45 that they've put .45 Super though? If so, what brand/weight did you use and how'd it run? I have a G36 that I've put ~200 rnds of .45 Super through without a hitch and now want a larger .45 (G21 is TOO large for liking and for holster comparability) to carry for wilderness defense and the M&P45 has officially caught my fancy.

2. Remove Ads

HK45, HK USP & Springfield XD are all factory approved to run .45 Super in .45 acp-marked barrels because the case is fully supported. A change to heavier recoil springs is generally recommended. I have no such "official" information on the GLOCK 21 or the M&P. I very much like the .45 acp M&P but, IMHO, I'm not sure the +300 fps ballistic advantage in the Super is worth risking risking a catastrophic failure at an ~80% increase in cartridge pressure. You, of course, can chance it if you want. You might consider a full .460 Roland conversion for an XD. It'll run .45 Super...like popcorn.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Why change trigger and grip angles by changeing from your glock?? Buy a full sized glock and nothing new need to be learned.

.45 Super in M&P45?

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Why change trigger and grip angles by changeing from your glock?? Buy a full sized glock and nothing new need to be learned.
    I'm a new convert to the wonders of the M&P line. Believe it or not the conversion is my wife's fault. She got a 9mm a few months ago and as hard as I tried to get her to chose a G19 Gen4, the grip was just too blocky for her little hands so she chose the M&P9 as her first gun. I've whined about the crappy M&P trigger and the lack of a tactile loaded chamber indicator for years but after I put ~200 rnds through it I found that I shot it better than any of my GLOCKS. Last week I bought an M&P9c and absolutely love it. It has relegated both my G36 and G23 Gen4 to the gun safe and it rides in my waistband everywhere I go. All that to say, when this gun frenzy calms down I'll feel the need for a full size .45 and I wanna stick with the ergo's and controls of my new carry piece much to the same effect of your suggestion.

Links