Defensive Carry banner

New carry gun G32 vs Sig SAS P229

4K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Pinot 
#1 ·
Well I have been looking for a new carry gun. I am looking at Glock 32 or a Sig P229 SAS .357.

I know these guns are worlds apart. I am very familiar with Glocks, but keep thinking about a little variety.
I also keep thinking that for the price of the Sig I can almost buy 2 Glocks .

I know lots of people like to complain about the weight, but I am not worried about the weigh,t I used to carry a full size 1911 SA TRP Operator , it was 45oz empty, so the Sig will feel light.

So for any of you that has owned the P229 in .357 what are your thoughts?? So far the research turns up mostly positive stuff, but most of it was older.

Thanks.

#5 ·
What he said!

I have a 229 .357 Sig that lives in my safe. I never could get use to the DA/SA trigger system. I love the .357 Sig round but I find it more manageable in an M&P. I am a big Glock fan but do not like to shoot .357 Sig in the Glocks.

#3 ·
I think with your muscle memory tuned to the 1911 the Glock is going to come up with a strange draw for you. I was in the same boat and the grip angle of the Glocks was just not right for my bone structure and muscle memory. I opted to go from 1911 to XD Service to XDSC to Walther then to what I carry today, my new Sig P229. Sexy doesn't begin to describe this gun. bore axis and overall ergonomics are far superior to my likes, YMMV.

#4 ·
I'd go with Glock. Not that Sig doesn't make a good product but they're pricey. Get TWO Glocks & be a happy shooter.

#10 ·
Glock 32 is a better concealed carry weapon than a SIG 229....the SIG 229 is a duty weapon and was never designed to be carried IWB with shorts and a T-shirt.
IMO, the problem with carrying double stack Sigs isn't so much the weight (but they are heavy), it's the width. It's just a chunky gun with a chunky grip that sticks out when you bend over. I love my Sig, but I don't like to carry it.

#11 ·
Well I found a 229, after holding it not so sure I like it. It feels bulky . I thought it might be OK before I held it, cause my G21 is fine. But the 229 didn't fell right. I might go try it again to see if it is still the same the second time.

So now I will have to look other options. As far as the Glock I can't seem to find one right now anyways.

I was considering the Sig 1911 Nightmare Carry in .357, but not sure yet.

#12 ·
I own and carry both a G23 and P229 SCT in .40. Like has been said, the Sig is a thick gun to IWB. I still do it because it is a beautiful and functional weapon, but the G23 carries so much easier. I carry both AIWB. If you already own a GLOCK get the Sig, but look for the original P229 slide with 1/2 serrations and short extractor. I find them more appealing than the new design not just for appearance, but reliability.

#14 ·
My EDC is a 229. I own two of them and can't wait untill I find the SAS. When I do it will come home with me! Glocks have a strange angle in the grip that I can't get used to. Love my 229s and looking forward to finding a 224. I buy my grand kids a Sig then I get to play with it untill I'm gone then they will each have a Sig to remember me by.

#15 ·
The biggest reason I would favor the Glock over the Sig is the trigger. Sure, a Glock trigger is not in the same league as a fine, 1911 trigger, but it is closer to the 1911 trigger than a double action/single action Sig. I'm making the same adjustment now that you are considering. Used to be a BIG Sig fan.....not so much anymore. For me to really get used to shooting the da/sa Sig required me to pretty much stop shooting other pistols. There actions messed with my muscle memory with the Sig. Then one day I decided that trying to master the Sig trigger was not worth the effort. Now I pretty much spend my time shooting either 1911's or Glocks. I'm in the middle of selling my Sigs now....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.