M&P Compact vs. M&P Shield for concealed carry

This is a discussion on M&P Compact vs. M&P Shield for concealed carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have both the M&P9c and a remora holster. I love the gun but hate the holster. I also have a Walther PPS but carry ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: M&P Compact vs. M&P Shield for concealed carry

M&P Compact vs. M&P Shield for concealed carry

I have both the M&P9c and a remora holster. I love the gun but hate the holster. I also have a Walther PPS but carry the M&P9c everyday instead. The additional thickness of the M&P does little to increase printing (grip height is by far the most important dimension for concealment) so is strongly suggest going with the M&Pc due to near double the magazine capacity. As for the remora, I bought it at a gun show after a less than impressive demonstration in a pinch and tried to make it work but I was too darn thick. You can get a very thin, well made kydex holster for the same price and you will absolutely see a major difference in concealability and comfort. I went with an MKII from Double Tap holsters for $35.

2. Remove Ads

Went with the 9C. Considering the lack of available ammo locally or online, my plan is to throw the "high capacity" but empty magazines then use the 9C to beat any assailant until I can grab the trusty and loaded .357. When is the insanity with available basic ammo gonna end?
    RookWV and Archer like this.

i went with the compact for two reasons. No safety, and the 10+1 for 40c. If those two issues are not a problem, i see no reason going with the shield

Quote Originally Posted by Noobie View Post
    When is the insanity with available basic ammo gonna end?
    I fear not soon enough. I believe it so much so that I just dumped my G19 for a 23. Never have issues finding 40 for the time being anyways. Regardless, the 9c is an amazing and wonderfully accurate weapon. You will love it (assuming you get to shoot it).
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I carry an M&P Compact (.40) every day in an IWB holster (Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe). I am not a big guy - 5'10/130lbs - and I can conceal it well enough. I have to be careful with how I move and make sure that my shirts are tucked in right (not too night to limit printing, etc). I wear button-down shirts and polos tucked in with jeans, usually. Some shirts are more of an issue than others. It is something I had to get used to, but generally isn't an issue. I have also pocked carried the Compact - I did that for several weeks until my Crossbreed holster came in.

That having been said, the M&P guns are great guns. If you have the option I would look harder at the Shield, though. If you are looking at 9mm's the shield is a better option. In .40 even the M&P Compact is a "lot", the shield might be more so. They are all very comfortable to hold guns, though (for me, your grip and feel might be different to you).

The benefit to the Shield is that it is thinner = lower profile.

Don't rule out Glock - the 26/27 (9mm/.40 respectively) are about the same size as the M&P Compact's. I don't like the feel of them compared to my M&P's (my other is a full-size, don't carry it though). Your grip might feel better on a glock than a S&W though.

Another altogether different route is Kahr. Their K models are the most comfortable hand guns, bar none to date, that I have ever held. The big benefit to them, operationally, is they have a solid stainless steel frame = much more stable than any polymer frame gun (like the glocks, S&W's, and other model Kahrs). They are also thinner, yet, than the S&W Shield's. My next gun is going to be an MK9 - same solid stainless steel frame as the K, just a bit smaller. Then I'm going for a K40 also to replace my S&W as my primary carry gun, with the MK9 for backup/when I can't carry the bigger one.

Either can be carried easily. The Shield, more easily.

I've owned every size of M and P, except the shield (but I've fondled one in a gun shop). I too am new to carry, and ended up getting a 9c. Easy to carry. No complaints. Hard not to recommend it.

VIP Member
    Having handled both, but as I own a Shield. I don't think you can go wrong with either. At then end of the day, which feels better in the hand and which do you feel more comfortable carrying/firing? Both guns rock. I'm 6'4" 215lbs with hands that can palm a basketball and like the way the Shield fits in my hand and can conceal it really well with pretty much whatever I wear. Good luck!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

I have an M&P 40c that I carry comfortably in a Remora #6ART-SS with Remora-Hyde (leather liner) everyday. It is a great combination for EDC. The leather liner is great because it makes the holster thinner than the standard nylon liner. I love the Artemis cut (ART) as well it allows for a better grip upon drawing the firearm, and I recommend the sweat shield as well as it guards your skin from the rear sights and slide serrations on the M&P. This is the perfect holster for the M&P compact Remora #6ART with sweat shield and Remora-Hyde. I wear the Remora far more often than my CrossBreed SuperTuck which is also a great holster.

Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    I have both the M&P9c and a remora holster. I love the gun but hate the holster. I also have a Walther PPS but carry the M&P9c everyday instead. The additional thickness of the M&P does little to increase printing (grip height is by far the most important dimension for concealment) so is strongly suggest going with the M&Pc due to near double the magazine capacity. As for the remora, I bought it at a gun show after a less than impressive demonstration in a pinch and tried to make it work but I was too darn thick. You can get a very thin, well made kydex holster for the same price and you will absolutely see a major difference in concealability and comfort. I went with an MKII from Double Tap holsters for $35.
    The new Remora-Hyde leather liner is thinner I highly recommend it.

I bought a m&p9c because I couldnt find a shield and already own a full size m&p 9mm. I was going back and forth between the shield and the compact but I bought the compact because the shields are so hard to find right now and the price has almost doubled from what it was when they came out. I dont find the compact uncomfortable to carry, it maybe alittle thicker but that doesnt make it much harder to conceal. And Ill gladly take 12+1 over 7-8+1 anyday.

Re: M&P Compact vs. M&P Shield for concealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I bought a m&p9c because I couldnt find a shield and already own a full size m&p 9mm. I was going back and forth between the shield and the compact but I bought the compact because the shields are so hard to find right now and the price has almost doubled from what it was when they came out. I dont find the compact uncomfortable to carry, it maybe alittle thicker but that doesnt make it much harder to conceal. And Ill gladly take 12+1 over 7-8+1 anyday.
    +1 on this. My original carry pistol was a walther PPS with the 7 rd 9mm magazine. After taking a 2 day threat focused training course I decided I wanted more capacity. I bought an m&p9c in november and have only had my PPS out a few times since. I have found the 9c easier to carry since the grip is so short. The thickness has very little impact. Now instead of 7+1 and a spare 8, I have 12+1 and a spare 17. Almost twice as many rounds and the only negative impact is a bit more weight.

Sent from my Xoom via tapatalk

Finally found FMJ ammo and went to the range yesterday. Was very pleased with how well and naturally the M&P C shot. No issues at all... until I got home and realized that the front sight white dot had disappeared. I had read about issues w this in reviews so my new toy will be headed back for a visit to the factory. And of course I just found several boxes of ammo to play with and a new empty Remora holster to stare at. Makes me love my tank of a 686 even more....

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    To the OP. I'm 6'0 190 lbs and I carry the M&P 9c and do so very comfortably and with no printing (crossbreed supertuck holster). After carrying for a while now, I realize that I could easily carry the full size 9mm or even the .40. With your "petite" body size, you'd have absolutely no problem carrying one of the S&W M&P compacts or even a full sized pistol. I'd carefully look at capacity and recoil/muzzle lift issues given that you have the flexibility to carry a larger pistol than a Shield (which is a great gun).
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Re: M&P Compact vs. M&P Shield for concealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by Noobie View Post
    Finally found FMJ ammo and went to the range yesterday. Was very pleased with how well and naturally the M&P C shot. No issues at all... until I got home and realized that the front sight white dot had disappeared. I had read about issues w this in reviews so my new toy will be headed back for a visit to the factory. And of course I just found several boxes of ammo to play with and a new empty Remora holster to stare at. Makes me love my tank of a 686 even more....
    I agree a new gun shouldn't have to go back to the factory...but...you can fix it yourself for next to no cost and perhaps improve it to your preferences. I've painted all of my front sights florescent red/orange and blacked out the rear. I may add some color or tiny dots to the rear though to help line up the elevation at longer distances. The red/orange front and blacked out rear have given me a very quick sight picture and good down and dirty accuracy at self defense ranges. Or you can just go white and be back to your 3 dot factory setup which is good too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links