M&P Compact vs. M&P Shield for concealed carry

This is a discussion on M&P Compact vs. M&P Shield for concealed carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I am not at all new to firearms, I am very new to concealed carry. Strangely, I have had a CCW permit for years ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: M&P Compact vs. M&P Shield for concealed carry

While I am not at all new to firearms, I am very new to concealed carry. Strangely, I have had a CCW permit for years but never actually carried. The only handgun I own is a beloved S&W 686. However, because I am a petite 6'5" & 250lbs, that gun, even with a four inch barrel, is a bit tough to conceal. I have been looking at something a bit more manageable and decided on either a PPS or Shield. Because I hesitated, I can now find neither, but am seeing M&P Compacts. My plan had been to use a Remora holster, but I'm now wondering (1) how comfortable the Compact is in real life carry, & (2) how the Compact rides in a Remora.

Please be gentle....

Quote Originally Posted by Noobie View Post
    While I am not at all new to firearms, I am very new to concealed carry. Strangely, I have had a CCW permit for years but never actually carried. The only handgun I own is a beloved S&W 686. However, because I am a petite 6'5" & 250lbs, that gun, even with a four inch barrel, is a bit tough to conceal. I have been looking at something a bit more manageable and decided on either a PPS or Shield. Because I hesitated, I can now find neither, but am seeing M&P Compacts. My plan had been to use a Remora holster, but I'm now wondering (1) how comfortable the Compact is in real life carry, & (2) how the Compact rides in a Remora.

Please be gentle....
    I have owned a Shield 9mm and currently have a couple S&W M&P Compacts. I found the Shield to be a great gun. I added an Apex trigger upgrade but felt uncomfortable with the available round count. Both or my Compacts are in the 40 S&W, however I am not a fan at all of the 40 Short & Weak. I really like the versatility of the 40 S&W frame though. I have one set up with a Storm Lake 9mm barrel and the other is set up with an Storm Lake 357 Sig barrel.

The Compacts are thicker and heavier than the Shield but very comfortable and compact to carry. I like the Remora holsters and use one for EDC often, even with the larger frame guns like the Glock 30. I find he S&W Compacts to be between the Sub-compact and Compact size Glocks, easy to carry and conceal, but enough weight to handle the recoil.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

GH
    There isn't a whole lot of difference in size between the two. Of course the Shield is a little smaller but since I've carried a Sigma 40VE, the same size as a Glock 23 which I used to own, I've never had problems concealing it. You'd gain 2 rounds in the magazine with the 40C or 9C. I have a M&P40C on order all paid for & just waiting for delivery. I almost opted for the full size M&P 40. Between the M&P Compact & Shield you can't go wrong. I don't know what you can do with a Shield but with a 40C you can swap out barrels for 9MM & .357sig. A 9MM mag is required but with the .357sig barrel you can use the same .40 cal mags. You can have essentially 3 different calibers for a couple hundred buck additional. Maybe that can be done with Shields, too. I don't know. In a 9MM gun you wouldn't be able to go to .40 cal or .357sig as far as I know.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Whether it be a PPS, Shield, or M&Pc, you can't go wrong with either.

I carry a PPS now, and used to carry a Glock 27. The Glock 27 and M&P 40c are nearly identical, especially when it comes to width. As far as concealability goes, both my PPS and G27 conceal the same. When it comes to comfort, the PPS is much more comfortable due to it being slightly slimmer.

I prefer a high capacity weapon as my primary self defense pistol for a number of reasons. Currently I carry either a full size M&P 9mm or an XD9sc (sub-compact).

I have an M&P Shield in 9mm used primarily as my back-up gun. However, because it's a 9mm, it is capable of being used as a primary defense weapon and I have frequently carried it as my primary weapon. When I do carry the Shield as my primary gun, I also carry a .380 LCP as a back-up gun.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I currently carry a M&P 9c in a remora holster. It is larger than the shield, but I prefered having more rounds in the mag. The 9c also accepts standard 17 round mags so you have the option to make it a full size grip and hold even more rounds. The 9c rides well in the remora holster, but I am patiently waiting for my Theis IWB holster to come. Remora is great, but without having a clip the gun can move. Its a great option though and I would def. recomend one.

Re: M&P Compact vs. M&P Shield for concealed carry

In literally just bought my M&P9c today and was debating on the shield as well. The shield is taller but the 9c is wider and usually it's the height that's harder to conceal, from what i've read anyway. So I opted for the slightly thicker, higher capacity 9c over the thinner but taller Shield.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
    crue2009 likes this.

I have the Shield and it is so easy to conceal which is one of the reason's I purchased it. Loves to ride in the Remora, you hardly know it's there.

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll probably go with the Compact next week (funny how payday dictates so much of my fun) if they are still available. Plus, it will be my little salute to Mrs. Feinstein....
    Bark'n and indykid like this.

Distinguished Member
    I have the .40 compact and love it. But my favorite is still the .45 Full size. LOL
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I have the 9c and the 45c - never problem concealing either in a Sideguard IWB holster. I cannot comment on the Shield, but IMO you cannot go wrong with the 9c.
    The day the music died - Nov 6, 2012

I carry an M&P 9c in a Remora and it is very comfortable for me. Conceals well at 7-8 o'clock (lefty here) and is not uncomfortable even when sitting in a vehicle for hours at a time.

Ill chime in on this one. I have the m&p9c and I carry it in a galco king-tuk holster. Im 5'9" 198 lbs and it conceals well even under a t-shirt. I like the 9c for its size and capacity 12 rounds versus 7 or 8 in the shield. And size and weight there isnt much difference. And the 9c can accept 17 round full size mags.

I could love to carry a 9mm Shield, if I can find one. But I have been told that I might need to wait for the second coming before they are available.

I have and carry an M&P compact in my rotation. Here is a great video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hERsGIcxQMY
    Broadus likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links