Opinion of Taurus 617 .357 mag.

This is a discussion on Opinion of Taurus 617 .357 mag. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok folks I have a question of what you folks think of the Taurus 617. My wife picked it out a few years ago and ...

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar

Ok folks I have a question of what you folks think of the Taurus 617. My wife picked it out a few years ago and hs only shot it a few times. She is starting to take a intrest in shooting now. The 617 is a 7 shot 357. She normally shoots 38 in it as the recoil from the 617 is alot even for me and she is half my size. This is her "house gun" when I'm away. My concern is that I have herd very mixed reports on the taurus and hate the thought of it going down at the worse possible time. It is not the only gun in the house but the other 2 hand guns are a gp100 with 5 inch barrel which she feels is to large and a sp101 that usually travels with me in bag/luggage as cant cc here. I'm really considering getting her something else. Of course I realize she needs to pick it out, but I geuss I'm asking if it was you would you trust a Taurus. Please dont think that I'm trying to start a brand war. Just with as bad as things are getting this has been weighing on my mind the past few days.

I have had three Taurus wheelguns in the past. The model 66 ( i think) was a 4"357 that shot well, a model 94(22lr) that would bind up after 18 rounds or so, and a bodyguard style 357 that was good when i first got it, but the timing became worse and worse as time went on. I sold all three, turned to Smith and Wesson, and havent looked back.

This however doesnt mean i wouldnt get another one in the future if the price was right.

My suggestion to you is shoot the heck out of it, and with each successfull cylinder, you will feel more confident. Dont let me bad experiences sway you, as many people have had great success stories regarding Taurus. I never sent these guns back to the manufacturer, as i could not trust them in my mind, even if they were fixed correctly. Good luck. Every manufacturer has lemons and diamonds.

bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Maybe thats what I'll do. I'll take the gun out and shoot the heck out of it when I'm shooting. I've looked at some S&W but wsnt sure if I cared about the internal lock. Actually their model 36 has often appealed to me.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    The ONLY TAURUS I ever owned..

Was a PITA with HKS seven round speed loaders, but shot well.

Still, not a Ruger or Model 66 Snub, but close.

I've had a Taurus® Mdl 617SS2 since May 2003. It is my primary EDCG & on my hip as I am typing this post. I've put about 8,000 rounds through it with 90%+ being 357 Magnum ammunition. I own 10 Taurus® revolvers & the 617 is my absolute favorite. It has a marked preference for 158gr ammunition; and is so regulated. I practice with CCI® BLAZER 158gr JHPs 357 Magnum (#3542). It is a somewhat reduced load (1150fps) and very low recoil. My carry load is Fiocchi® 158gr JHP/XTP® 357 Magnum. I am a VERY SATISFIED 617 OWNER!
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

dawei, thanks for your response. This makes me feel somewhat better. I use to carry a Taurus 689 .357 when I lived in Ind. Thats been years ago. I bought it because I was young and it what I could afford. It was a good shooting gun but I sold it to a friend a couple of years ago. It never gave me a problem. I was just concerned about my wife's gun after reading some folks talking about quality.

I owned a Taurus 617 back in 2004. It was my first carry gun. I thought that a seven round cylinder would be a good thing but as time went on, I found out that it was cumbersome and accessories for that large of a cylinder were lacking. I ended up having a custom holster made for it, which was pretty expensive. My 617 was DAO and was difficult to shoot at the range. I sold it in favor of a Glock 27. A few days after I sold it to a friend, it broke and had to go back to the factory. I did not regret switching to the Glock.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Links