Hollow point ammo won't feed into gun - Page 2

Hollow point ammo won't feed into gun

This is a discussion on Hollow point ammo won't feed into gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; By answering Bark'n's query we would be able to give you proper advice, (good job on that Bark'n). Since the gun is brand new possibly ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Hollow point ammo won't feed into gun

By answering Bark'n's query we would be able to give you proper advice, (good job on that Bark'n).
    Since the gun is brand new possibly a break in is required? How many rounds, (FMJ's), have you run through the gun? It may just need to loosen up a bit by being fired. If it were mine I would rather run FMJ's in it anyway being it's a .380; I would prefer depth of penetration over expansion in that round.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    OP's first sentence: "Just bought a Sig Sauer P238..."

Short attention span, huh?
    Didn't say NEW did he?
    kmagnuss likes this.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/FNH FNS-40

I also bought a p238 and it will feed range ammo but hollow points get hung up. I haven't called Sig yet but any ideas regarding this before I call?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I always herd you had to break in a semi auto with 200 to 500 rounds(depending on the gun)of ball ammo before shooting hollow point. Then you have to try various brands of hollow point to see what feeds and hits point of aim. I may be wrong. I am just an old Revolver guy.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    OP's first sentence: "Just bought a Sig Sauer P238..."

Short attention span, huh?
    But we do not know whether the OP bought the P236 new in the box or used.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

I only have two 380s. A Colt government model and a LCP. I find a lot of ammo doesn't fit the mag very well. I can tell you what I do to correct the problem, but I highly recommend you not to do the same thing and am certain someone will chime in say I could be creating a high pressure situation. I will tend to agree with them. I just seat the bullet ever so slightly deeper in the case.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I only have two 380s. A Colt government model and a LCP. I find a lot of ammo doesn't fit the mag very well. I can tell you what I do to correct the problem, but I highly recommend you not to do the same thing and am certain someone will chime in say I could be creating a high pressure situation. I will tend to agree with them. I just seat the bullet ever so slightly deeper in the case.
    YIKES!
    Stevew likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy."

Joe Lewis

We have 2 P238's purchased in 2013 and 2015 respectively. We feed them mostly junk (range) ammo including a few thousand rounds of inexpensive range hollow points ( the $9.99 for 50 round stuff), have never had any feed, firing or ejection issues with either gun. Now it could be something with the newer production guns and if thats the case Sig will resolve it quickly if you need to return the gun for repair.

Document everything from the brand of ammo, which magazines you own that fail, which rounds fail, and who you spoke with on the phone. They do not seem to communicate well internally so you really need to give them the detail needed to reproduce the failure. Return the gun and magazines and include a note with the return authorization and the details.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

The problem usually shows up when you have a combination of a steep feed ramp on the gun, and wide head on the HP ammo .... Use a smaller grain bullet, or a smaller - more pointed HP headed ammo, or go to Critical defense / crticial duty, etc. and you won't have the issue.

But, you might also check the mag and how the ammo is coming out of the mag , and if there other reasons it's not at the correct angle to go correctly up the feed ramp to the barrel. It not likely to have anything do with your actual barrel. If you have that kind of problem, send it back to the Manufacturer.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by strandedpirate View Post
    Just bought a Sig Sauer P238 and filled it up with some overpriced Aguila .380 hollow point ammo and the thing won't load a single cartridge. The flat end of these rounds are getting hung up on the barrel. I tried some Lellier & Bellot FMJ ammo and they load just fine. Is this a known issue with this gun?
    As noted by others, you did not indicate that it was new or new to you. If it's new, and considering that by no means am I an expert, but I had the same problem with my Bersa Thunder 380 years ago and can put the blame on nothing but myself as I had been warned warned not to use JHP, WWB until I had run 250 to 300 rounds through it to "break it in". Sure enough, after 5 boxes of a good quality FMJ, other than "operator Error", I've had no problems even with rapid fire of Speer Gold Dot, and now with Corbon DPX.
    USAF, Retired
    ✟ Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36 ✟

Life Member: VFW, VVA, DVA, VSPA, NRA

First I would try a different kind of ammo. If that didn't work I would call sig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP asked question 4 years ago, has no activity since.
    Zombie thread
    HotBrass45 and PhaedrusIV like this.
    The minimum is not what I want to defend my life with.

Yep, zombie thread.

I highly recommend you not to do the same thing and am certain someone will chime in say I could be creating a high pressure situation. I will tend to agree with them. I just seat the bullet ever so slightly deeper in the case.
    If these are reloads, just back off on the powder charge a few tenths and you will be fine. If they are factory loads and you are pushing the bullets deeper in the case...not a good idea.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    OP asked question 4 years ago, has no activity since.
    Zombie thread
    Nothing wrong with resurrecting a zombie thread when the resurrector has a question directly relating to the content!
    Haywood likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    I always herd you had to break in a semi auto with 200 to 500 rounds(depending on the gun)of ball ammo before shooting hollow point. Then you have to try various brands of hollow point to see what feeds and hits point of aim. I may be wrong. I am just an old Revolver guy.
    Now I'm sure someone will correct me if they can show that school of thought to be 100% true, but I believe that's kind of leftover thinking from the past when semi-autos weren't nearly as reliable as quality ones are today (you buy a Jennings or something and it's less "will it feed reliably?" and more "will it blow up on me after 100 round?"). It also has some merit in that you can work out some of the tiny little rough spots and other production debris that are inevitable in mass-produced weapons. I used to do it, actually. But eventually I got to where I was just shooting 100 FMJs and maybe 50 of my chosen defense round and, if there were no issues whatsoever or only a user error malfunction like limp wristing, called it good.

Some companies suggest that you do it, like Kimber, but then you're dealing with the 1911 platform. Sometimes they can be a bit finicky and need a little extra workout. Not all of them, but I've had several that seemed to behave better after quite a few rounds out the barrel. For your Glock, XD, SIG and such, I don't see it as necessary and none of my guns have started misbehaving just because I didn't put a certain round count through them. That's a plus for revolver guys like you and me, if we get through a box of 20 without problems, we're good to go. A hell of a lot cheaper to function test for us

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links