GLOCK Question for all the GLOCK Pro's On the Forum - Page 2

GLOCK Question for all the GLOCK Pro's On the Forum

This is a discussion on GLOCK Question for all the GLOCK Pro's On the Forum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was close, but Gen 2.5? That's like a '64 & 1/2 Mustang. That never made sense to me either....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: GLOCK Question for all the GLOCK Pro's On the Forum

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I was close, but Gen 2.5? That's like a '64 & 1/2 Mustang. That never made sense to me either.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    That answers my first question VERY WELL!! Thank You Sir!
    You're quite welcome Sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Oldvet said, "As to the Generation, I think Gen one-no finger grooves; Gen 2-finger grooves; Gen 3-light rail; Gen 4-grip backstraps".

Almost right. No finger grooves on Gen 1. No finger grooves on Gen 2 either, but grenade stippling has been added to the front and back strap. Gen 3 has finger grooves and the light rail (and three pins for disassembly instead of two and some other small changes). Gen 4 has the changeable back straps, an ambidextrous magazine release, dual recoil spring...

The .357 and .40 barrels can be exchanged with flawless results because the .357 Sig is a necked-down .40. Personally, I would not try to make a .40 become a 9mm. Just get you a nice G17 or G19 depending on your size preference.

If you do too much messing with mother nature - or Gaston Glock - the famous Glock reliability may go out the window when you need it the most.

As for mags working between Gens - it will depend on what side the mag release is on. Mags can easily be modified to work with the reversible mag catch - you need to file a matching notch in the right side of the mag just like the one on the left side. The metal piece in the center was used with the ambidextrous releases on the G21SF (Gen 3) but I'm not sure if the smaller framed mags ever had the metal piece in the center front of the mag. In any case - if you get a Gen 4 G19, you should be able to use your older G19 mags. No mods necessary if you have the mag release on the left, minor mod (to the mag) necessary if you switch the mag release to the right side.

Austin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I've got an older GLOCK Model 22 (.40S&W), that I purchased directly from GLOCK back in the early 90's. Guessing it's a first generation, but not sure, or how to tell. (Question #1).

I've had a .357 Sig barrel that drops in, and functions flawlessly for some time, and it's cool that the GLOCK 22 magazines work fine with the .357 Sig rounds.

I'm considering purchasing a 9MM barrel for it as well, so my girl friend can shoot it easier, plus I have several thousand rounds of
    9MM ammo on hand, and only one other 9MM pistol (Kimber Solo Carry).

I don't own any GLOCK 17 Magazines, which I'm told are needed for this conversion, but I do own six (6) high capacity GLOCK 19 magazines. Does anyone know of any spacers, etc that would allow the GLOCK 19 magazines to work, like GLOCK 17 Magazines. (Question #2). Or do I need to sell/trade for some GLOCK 17 mags? (Question #3)

I've looked elsewhere online, and didn't find any answers, so I thought I'd tee it up for all of you GLOCKsmiths, as I know you'll know.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    I had the grip chopped on my 17, allowing it to use 19 mags. It also makes concealed carry much easier.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Generation make ABSOLUTELY no difference in mag fit/function. And, IMHO, especially if money is a primary concern, go find a USED G19, not a Gen 4. I've been pretty-deeply in the handgunning game since wayyy before GLOCK even showed up. I have never (EVER) seen or even heard of a GLOCK being worn beyond repairable malfunction by round count. I also have never a GLOCK that couldn't be put back into +90% OEM service condition with $40 worth of parts & a small punch. Buying a used GLOCK is about as risky as buying...a used anvil. If you are confident of gravity, you can feel about the same way about a used GLOCK.

Whoa, grip chop a G17 to G19 mags? That's a terrific idea that had slipped my mind completely. I've actually been watching for a good deal on a G17 to do exactly THAT!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Whoa, grip chop a G17 to G19 mags? That's a terrific idea that had slipped my mind completely. I've actually been watching for a good deal on a G17 to do exactly THAT!
    As one who owns and carries both the 19 and chopped 17, I actually prefer the feel and balance of the 17 over the 19. Never thought I would say that, but it is so. Here is the thread I started when I got it back:
    Grip Chop By Business End Customs
    Here is one for the holster I had made around it:
    The Perfect Kydex IWB Holster
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Yep, I've been doing my own GLOCK chops & mods for a long time. The G17>G19 chop makes a lot of sense to me. After all, it's grip & not slide length that matters most to effective concealment. I'll visit your old thread for your photos, details & observations!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

DSC00318s.jpgThere again I go slightly against the stream. For concealment I prefer my GLOCK 27 with the GLOCK 23 mag and the grip enhancer. I removed the finger grooves and stippled the mag extension to match the stippling on the front of the frame, this makes for a lot of firepower in a concealable, controllable package.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

lonewolfdist.com

they have converstion barrels for 9mm. You will need G17 mags, or you can have your grip chopped shorter, but then when you are using it for .40 or .357 sig, your other mags will look funny (IMO).
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Off Topic

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I was close, but Gen 2.5? That's like a '64 & 1/2 Mustang. That never made sense to me either.
    The 64 1/2 Mustang used the Falcon speedo and the the 65 used its own round speedo. There were other changes which arent worth going in to. I drove a 64 1/2 for a while.

"The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Actually there was a Gen 3.5, too. It had the curved cocking serrations going the wrong way. It also had the stippling like on the Gen 4 but without the removable back strap. The one in the picture below I reworked and textured over the stippling but you can see the cocking serrations.

G17 NSP.JPG
    OD* and Bad Bob like this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    Actually there was a Gen 3.5, too. It had the curved cocking serrations going the wrong way. It also had the stippling like on the Gen 4 but without the removable back strap. The one in the picture below I reworked and textured over the stippling but you can see the cocking serrations.

G17 NSP.JPG
    I never knew they offered those on the 19s, I'd only seen them on .40 S&Ws. I like to get a hold of one.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links