GLOCK Question for all the GLOCK Pro's On the Forum

This is a discussion on GLOCK Question for all the GLOCK Pro's On the Forum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got an older GLOCK Model 22 (.40S&W), that I purchased directly from GLOCK back in the early 90's. Guessing it's a first generation, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: GLOCK Question for all the GLOCK Pro's On the Forum

GLOCK Question for all the GLOCK Pro's On the Forum

I've got an older GLOCK Model 22 (.40S&W), that I purchased directly from GLOCK back in the early 90's. Guessing it's a first generation, but not sure, or how to tell. (Question #1).

I've had a .357 Sig barrel that drops in, and functions flawlessly for some time, and it's cool that the GLOCK 22 magazines work fine with the .357 Sig rounds.

I'm considering purchasing a 9MM barrel for it as well, so my girl friend can shoot it easier, plus I have several thousand rounds of
    9MM ammo on hand, and only one other 9MM pistol (Kimber Solo Carry).

I don't own any GLOCK 17 Magazines, which I'm told are needed for this conversion, but I do own six (6) high capacity GLOCK 19 magazines. Does anyone know of any spacers, etc that would allow the GLOCK 19 magazines to work, like GLOCK 17 Magazines. (Question #2). Or do I need to sell/trade for some GLOCK 17 mags? (Question #3)

I've looked elsewhere online, and didn't find any answers, so I thought I'd tee it up for all of you GLOCKsmiths, as I know you'll know.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

2. Remove Ads

Personally, other than a switch between .357 SIG and .40 S&W, I would not reccommend any props, adapters, etc that may be available or suggested. If you want a Glock 9mm, I'd find a nice lightly used 17 or 19. By the time you buy a quality barrel (I only use OEM), mags, etc., you won't be too much different in $$ spent, and it will function well and be safe.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Search this forum for "Please explain the GLOCK generations". You 1st question is well-answered there.
    A G22 is on the full-size frame, A G19 is on the compact frame. There are no "adapters" to go from from compact (G19, G23) mags to full-size (G17, G22) mags. Mags can only go the OTHER way (G17 > G19 > G26).

My suggestion would be to simply find/buy a G19, 'cause it's...MY FAVORITE!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Search this forum for "Please explain the GLOCK generations". You 1st question is well-answered there.
    A G22 is on the full-size frame, A G19 is on the compact frame. There are no "adapters" to go from from compact (G19, G23) mags to full-size (G17, G22) mags. Mags can only go the OTHER way (G17 > G19 > G26).

My suggestion would be to simply find/buy a G19, 'cause it's...MY FAVORITE!
    Well that's a good reason to spend $500+ dollars!!! LOL I think I'll just find someone to sell the mags to, and get some G17 Mags. Should be a market for high cap mags right now. :) Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Yes, you can cobble un-supported mis-matched variations of Glocks. Putting a G36 slide on a G30, and I'm guilty of owning a 10mm barrel, designed for my G30, and I run G29 mags & recoil spring in there when I wanna shoot 10mm (it runs fine with the G30 extractor)...

But you gotta draw the line somewhere, otherwise we wouldn't need different models of Glocks. 'Another vote here to treat yourself to a real Glock 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    Personally, other than a switch between .357 SIG and .40 S&W, I would not reccommend any props, adapters, etc that may be available or suggested. If you want a Glock 9mm, I'd find a nice lightly used 17 or 19. By the time you buy a quality barrel (I only use OEM), mags, etc., you won't be too much different in $$ spent, and it will function well and be safe.
    Barrel is $109.00 (Note OEM, but maybe better). Two or three magazines for a 100.00 or so. Still lot cheaper than another gun. Appreciate the input though.

You asked for advice & input from some experienced GLOCKers 'round here. We gave it. We've already made most of the less-than-wise decisions that you may be about to make, so we've tried to wave you off multiple caliber barrels, adapters & a big box full GLOCK parts that only add-up to ONE handgun. IMHO, the money you think you're now saving won't be there in the long run. A second 9mm GLOCK will ABSOLUTELY be there...when experience arrives. It's up to you. Good Luck!
    KBSR, Jetfuelrm and Jetfuelrm like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The Lone Wolf barrels are great, I have 3 of them. Just get the LW 9mm conversion and some G17 mags. For range use you *MAY* be able to get away with your G22 mags. So I have heard but I use 9mm mags and run it in IDPA. I have not had any malfunctions in my G27 with everything from Tula to +P 9mm, 357 Sig and 40 S&W. I also have a .40 barrel for my G31C that runs flawlessly. They all shoot POI also.

The LW barrels also allow for lead bullets if you want, I find my LW barrels more accurate than the factory barrel.
    KBSR likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I had a 40cal glock and bought a lone wolf conversion barrel in 9mm for it and found that for range use the 9mm ammo ran fine in the 40sw mag and the extractory work fine too. Don't see a problem for range use with just a barrel swap. Ran good even with the stock 40sw recoil spring with lite weight 115gr 9mm ammo. Go forit.
    KBSR likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In regards to the mag question, you're trying to put square pegs in rounds holes. The 19 mag is shorter than the 22's. You can use a longer mag, with a sleeve to make it match the grip, but not the other way around. Some people have claimed to have had to replace the ejector when converting to 9mm, but most have no problem.

It's an inexpensive (?) way to shoot 9mm without buying another gun. If that's what you want to do, go for it. Not everyone (including me) can afford to buy a new gun just for the caliber.

As to the Generation, I think Gen one-no finger grooves; Gen 2-finger grooves; Gen 3-light rail; Gen 4-grip backstraps. Other changes and mods, also but visually, that's the obvious difference.
    KBSR likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I have a lone wolf barrel for my Gen 2 G22. Paired with G17 mags, it works fine. I don't think you are going to get away with stuffing G19 mags in a G22.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2 guns are better than 1 in my opinion. Like ghost tracker said you will save money in the long run if you just buy a nice used g19 now. You could always sell it later
    KBSR likes this.
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

OD*
    Generations, Gen one-no finger grooves, no checkering; Gen 2, checkering; Gen 2.5 finger groves added, no rail; Gen 3-light rail; Gen 4-grip reduction and removable back-straps.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

OK folks, appreciate the help.

I think I'll shop around for a Gen 4 G-19, so the six mags I have can be used again. Crazy when mags drive a gun purchase huh? LOL I wouldn't ever carry it, but the GF might like to one day.

Anyone know if Gen 4 mags work in Gen 2 guns or visa versa? Thinking they probably do, but I noted a change in the mag for the ability to convert from right hand mag release to left hand in the newer pistols. Guessing the little hole in the mag wouldn't really matter.

Thanks folks. Whether I heed your advice or not, I do appreciate you taking the time to comment. Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Generations, Gen one-no finger grooves, no checkering; Gen 2, checkering; Gen 2.5 finger groves added, no rail; Gen 3-light rail; Gen 4-grip reduction and removable back-straps.

That answers my first question VERY WELL!! Thank You Sir!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links