Smith Wesson SD 40 ve??

Smith Wesson SD 40 ve??

This is a discussion on Smith Wesson SD 40 ve?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody have the Smith and Wesson SD40ve?? If so what are your impressions of it and if you cc it how does it fit ...

Smith Wesson SD 40 ve??

Does anybody have the Smith and Wesson SD40ve?? If so what are your impressions of it and if you cc it how does it fit in that roll?? Looking at one for a bit under MSRP new. Thanks

I'm considering this handgun and would also like to know anyone's opinion.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

I have the SW40VE and I like it.. Its pretty accurate IMO and I've done some work to the trigger to smooth it up some.. (spring & polish) Its easy to clean and disassemble and its relatively inexpensive too... There have been a few failure to feed issues with mine so I'm not sure I would trust it yet as a CC weapon. I think I can fix those issues with a little time. The other thing that is a drawback is the picatinny rail requires a special adapter due to the design of the rail... All in all, its a great gun for the price..

In expensive and extremely reliable, buy it and shoot the crap out of it. Trigger is hard but you get use to it quick, other than that i would ccw it anytime.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Good gun. If you want a lighter trigger pull. APEX has a low cost kit that will take care of that and cost should be close to the mid upper 300 range

Excellent firearm for SD. Feels better in hand then a block IMHO...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I have both the 9mm and the 40 not a hiccup go for it.

I have carried one for years. I love the price and the manufacturer. It is easy to disassemble and clean, it can even be done while pulling a double espresso.

The trigger bothered me so I lightened it up by removing one of the 2 main springs, at my own risk and acknowledging it voided my warranty, but I like it much better now.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Thanks for the info. It felt fairly light in the store which I liked. Of course with high cap 40 mag its going to pick up a bit of weight. I havent really messed with semi auto Smiths just the revolvers which are sort of pricey and the low price sort of threw me like maybe it was a known dud model I wasnt aware of. Think maybe ill try it if its still in the shop when i go back. Thanks again

I bought my S&W SD40 VE a month ago and i've put 200 rounds through it..no problems with it chambering rounds, jamming, etc. I had the same predisposition that this gun was a lesser model Sigma or M&P. But after picking it up and holding it, the gun felt very natural in my hands and the fir and finish was great. So I bought it based on that and on Smith and Wesson's reputation and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised and how well it has performed. The only flaw I can find is the trigger pull is a little much (8-10lbs) but after you use it you will find that you adapt to it. I paid 369.00+ tax. Well worth the money if you ask me!

PS: With a fully loaded mag, it feels much more balanced to me. (165gr) FMJ
    1050fps (Georiga Arms)

Mine is the SW40VE Sigma and I like the trigger for the SD and CC purposes that I'm using the pistol for. never had any problems with it.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

havent owned one but have shot my friends numerous times. Reliability was good but the trigger was terrible. There are kits to fix it. I contemplated getting one ut ended up getting a glock 22 on a super steal of a lifetime. I dont think it would be a bad choice as long as you are ok with a so-so trigger

Second gun I bought and I love it. It was my EDC for about a year. Depending on which holster I was using, it could be a bit "pokey" at times. It's size can be hard to conceal under some clothing, especially if you are of a size that is also hard to conceal with the selected clothing. Performs well and am passing it on to Son&Heir at the proper time.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

I carried one for a while,,A9E Sigma was one of first ones they made,,Sent it back and they put a new slide on it. Never a hiccup after.
    I carry a M&P 9c now & love it,,Istill shoot the sigma & shoot it rather well ; )PS I put a Glock 19 slide on my frame to show a freind it would fit, It did I only pulled trgger to get slide off.

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I have one and it is a good gun. A few things that are good and bad. Lets start with the good. First is the price. For under $400 for a 40 cal semi is great. It's a S&W which means lifetime warrenty in case something goes wrong. Comes with 2, 14 round mags. Additional ones are less then $45. Very accurate. I hit consistent groups at 15 yards with no problem. Well made and well balanced gun. It only has 4 parts when disassembled, which means easy cleaning and easy to reassemble. Lastly it is a clone of the glock. It's not made like a glock but it is a good clone. Now for the bad. The trigger is a little tight. Nothing major and you will get use to it. Now one major issue is FTF (failure to fire) with this gun. If you fire winchester, remington or federal you're fine. If you go to the range and shoot PMC or any other made in Korea crap you will have FTF's. And when I saw FTF's I mean from chambering the first round to having about 4-5 FTF's in the same mag. Back to the good news. You call S&W and they will send you a Fedex tag to send it back. They will do some minor mill work to the feeder and you will be all set. I did that and I shot 200 rounds (100 of 180gr and 100 of 165gr both FMJ) of PMC junk and I did not have a single issue. You just have to live without your gun for about 2 weeks. If you get this work done I would put the SD40 as a affordable option for a CC gun. I have carried mine as a CC before and no issues. I now have it in my survival bag which means I have a good trust in it.
    Lastly is a little history on this gun. It replaces the Sigma from S&W. Back in the day (90's) S&W made the Sigma to compete with Glock. But they made it so close to a Glock that Glock sued for copy right infringment and won. S&W lost there ass in the suit and could not sell any furthe Sigma's for a profit. I remembering buying a Sigma 9 in 1998 for only $199. So S&W was put in a pickle since a lot of people loved the value of the Sigma and it was a great gun, but they need to make money like the rest of us. They stopped making the Sigma and a few years later came out with the SD models. They still sold them at an affordable price but they made some minor changes so they would not get sued again. And now you have a good S&W gun that you can shoot the heck out of and not stress that you spent $600 plus on it. If you are looking for affordability you can't beat this gun (after sending it back to S&W). If you have $200 more then get a glock 23. They run in the $550 range for a gen 4 and they have 3, 13 round mags included. Thats what I carry and I feel comfortable that at any moment it will be ready to go. For example my brother and I were bow hunting . We came across a bear that look at us like we were a piece of chocolate cake. We both were open carrying a 40, me with my Glock and he had his Sig. It was wet and we had been treking through some muddy areas. His sig jammed and I unload a mag into the guy before my brother was able to un jam and take his first shot. Again just my opinion but after that day I will never be too far from my Glock.

Links