Range trip with the wife: 380 questions

This is a discussion on Range trip with the wife: 380 questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KBSR If your range has the Kimber Solo Carry, you should rent it and let her fire it. It's small, light (relatively) ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Range trip with the wife: 380 questions

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    If your range has the Kimber Solo Carry, you should rent it and let her fire it. It's small, light (relatively) and every female that has shot mine has loved it. You'll probably want to borrow it when she's staying home. :)

Right now it's the only gun I own that is chambered in 9mm, and I carry it daily in my right front pocket. If I can do that, imagine the many ways your wife could conceal it with a good IWB/OWB holster. BTW, it replaced a KelTec .380 that I used to carry in my pocket. Bigger is better in my opinion.

Be safe
    ^^^When comparing .380 - 9mm^^^^^^
    I would agree.

Try to find a shield, Ruger lc9 or the like.
    Here is a comparison link Pistol Size Comparisons | Handgun Club of America
    to see a few different pistols compared side by side.
    Try and stay with 9mm. They are ALMOST as small as the .380's and as long as she isn't going to have to conceal in a G string, or has trouble with recoil, it really is a much more effective caliber.
    Here is another comparison W/O pics. Concealed Handgun Comparison Chart - Condensed Version

One of the best ones was the Mouseguns page, but sadly, with the passing of the Doc, I believe the site is down and gone.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

She should carry what she wants if she is not happy with it she will not carry it. My Daughter carries a 380 LCP when she could have any weapons she wants.
    Wife carries a S&W body guard 38 she also could have any weapon she wants. A CC is only good if you carry it if a 9mm does not work for her than so what if the ammo you shoot is the same or not

I second what Whoppo says about the Sig P238. Pleasure to shoot + accurate. Slide racks like butter. There's something wonderfully substantial feeling about it. Mine is two-tone and is lovely to look at! Haven't carried yet- class later this morning as a matter of fact. But it will be no problem. Haven't shot the P938, but sounds like it would be a nice option.
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.

New Member Array pharmacist1952's Avatar

Ideal gun for females

I think the ideal carry gun for a woman is something like the S&W 637. The trigger is not bad and they don't have to work the slide. Unless one believes in a live round in the chamber all the time.

Re: Range trip with the wife: 380 questions

Quote Originally Posted by pharmacist1952 View Post
    I think the ideal carry gun for a woman is something like the S&W 637. The trigger is not bad and they don't have to work the slide. Unless one believes in a live round in the chamber all the time.
    Really?

I suppose their ideal car is something real easy to drive too, because women are dumb and can't handle as much as men.

Give me a break.

Sorry, but I don't feel there is any one gun that is more woman friendly any more than there is one gun best for all men, only she knows what that will be.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmacist1952 View Post
    Try the Ruger LCR - beats the trigger on the S&W 637 hands down.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    As others have mentioned, in a .380 give the Bersa Thunder a look. If you want to stay with a 9mm, for single cheaper ammo to use, give the Kahr CW9 a look.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bdbull View Post
    Her favorite by far was the PK380. However, she (and I) hated the mag release position.

So my questions to those who know are: Are there any other 380's around the same size as the PK? How does the Shield compare in size and recoil to the PK? I'd love to keep her in 9 if I can.
    The mag release on the Walther is something one can get used to pretty quickly, and IMHO, many people that do make the change end up liking the paddle style more than the button release. I'd suggest another range session with the Walther just to make sure she, (or you), can't adapt. If she really liked the PK, perhaps it's worth another look.

Don't overlook the Kahrs in 9mm. The size similar to the PK380 would be the Kahr P9 or CW9, or if all steel is the preference, the K9 is a very compact, sweet shooting, but heavier pistol.

Another .380 to consider is the Beretta 84 or 85. It has a traditional mag release and the single stack model 85 would be just as concealable as the PK.

I too have heard the mag release on the Walthers is pretty easy to get used to. I should point you to this thread however:

Walther PK380 Recall

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I want to keep her in 9 simply so we can shoot the same ammo. Really no other reason than that.

If at all possible, try to get your wife to make the decision on what gun she wants. She will be more likely to carry it more often. Have her shoot as many as she can and when she hits where she's aiming, she will hit that that point of gratification that will ultimately steer her in the right direction. JMHO
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    If your range has the Kimber Solo Carry, you should rent it and let her fire it. It's small, light (relatively) and every female that has shot mine has loved it. You'll probably want to borrow it when she's staying home. :)

Right now it's the only gun I own that is chambered in 9mm, and I carry it daily in my right front pocket. If I can do that, imagine the many ways your wife could conceal it with a good IWB/OWB holster. BTW, it replaced a KelTec .380 that I used to carry in my pocket. Bigger is better in my opinion.

Be safe

+1 on the Solo Carry. Easily concealable, easy to shoot, great trigger, very accurate. Just remember to use 124 or 147gr ammo.
    Mine has been perfect so far...not one misfire. Don't believe all the bad posts online, which often were owners using 115gr ammo.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

I agree with what some others have said, that the gun is useless to her if she doesn't carry it, and she won't carry what she doesn't like.

www.packingpretty.com has some good advice about dressing around a gun. I love my XDsc9 so much it's my EDC - the only time I can't dress around it is when wearing a slim fitting dress - but I couldn't even get an LC9 under those.

I can see where having the same ammo is convienient, on the other hand - my husband shoots a .38, I stick to 9... I like that my stash is all mine, I never have to hear that he doesn't have any left to shoot because I used it all!! :)

Check out the Ruger LC9, and (as stated) the Kahr 9's. Great guns, and extremely light and compact.

Thanks for all the great replies. Lots of good suggestions and information and I'm very thankful for it all. I want to try to address some of the replies so far.

Sounds like a lot of votes for the Bersa 380. Unfortunately, our local range does not have one in their rental cabinet. Will try to find one to handle, but I'd really like to shoot it as well.

As far as 9 vs 380, I'm comfortable with her in 380. While it would be nice to be in the same ammo, when it comes down to it, like many of you have stated, if that's the only thing between her carrying all the time vs. part of the time, then it's a non-issue.

The Shield has gotten a lot of very good reviews and I really want to give it a look. Unfortunately, again our range doesn't have one.

Guy at the range pulled out a Sig 238 that just came in for another of their female customers. It was really nice and my wife loved the way it felt in her hand. In fact, the guy said if he had enough money laying around he would have one in a minute. The only problem is we shot the 232 and weren't crazy about the way it operated. I'm sure it's something we'd get used to though. He did suggest the 938 if we wanted to stay in 9.

The reason she liked the PK380 so much is simply because it's a little larger. The smaller 380's and 9's we shot felt like they were walking up our hand on every shot. The LCP and Khar P380 were just too small. She said it felt like they were literally going to jump out of her hand. So, the slightly larger frame is going to be better for her. That's why I keep coming back to 9 also. Like some of you have said, if you're going with a larger 380, then why not just go with a 9?

We also shot a S&W 642 and she did not like it at all. Shot it twice and stopped.

As far as accuracy, she was better with the 380's. Of the 9's, she likes the XD9sc the best, but we haven't tried a Shield either. We may have to go back and give the PK380 another try to see if she can't adjust to it. The mag release is a lot smaller than the one on the PPS.

Kimber Solo: It may be out of our price range. If we could find one to shoot and she loved it, then it'd be a no-brainer. But I just can't justify spending that much without trying it first.

I hope I addressed everything. Again, I really appreciate all the comments. I really wanted to have our minds made up when we left the range, but now I think we have more questions than when we got there. :)

My wife loves her Bersa .380 thunder....... I tried to get her to shoot my kahr CM9 and she just wasn't having it. I would rather her have a gun that she likes, will shoot a lot, and carry with her. Chances are she will eventually move up to a 9 mm and like which at that point you can sell the Bersa or have a backup gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links