Range trip with the wife: 380 questions - Page 3

Range trip with the wife: 380 questions

This is a discussion on Range trip with the wife: 380 questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bdbull Along the same lines, she also likes the XD9sc, but being double stack is also a little hard to conceal for ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Range trip with the wife: 380 questions

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bdbull View Post
    Along the same lines, she also likes the XD9sc, but being double stack is also a little hard to conceal for her.
    New XDS in 9mm? Might be a wait in getting one though...

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 cc. Decent gun, but big for a .380 and not the most comfortable to shoot. I've introduced several females to shooting and most tend to gravitate to my XD9mmsc over the Bersa Thunder .380cc. Maybe if I changed the grips it'd be more comfortable...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    New XDS in 9mm? Might be a wait in getting one though...

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 cc. Decent gun, but big for a .380 and not the most comfortable to shoot. I've introduced several females to shooting and most tend to gravitate to my XD9mmsc over the Bersa Thunder .380cc. Maybe if I changed the grips it'd be more comfortable...
    I'll be getting myself a XDS9 when it comes out so we'll definitely have one of those. And if she likes it that much, then I guess we'll just get two. Guy at the range last night suggested that as well and said they should be getting them in April.

My wife does like the way the XD9sc shoots, but we kinda want to stay in single stack so she can conceal better.

Quote Originally Posted by tony1990 View Post
    My wife likes the Bersa 380CC, easy to hold, easy to fire and very accurate. Very little recoil for her.

This was suggested at a gun store for a female CC when I was looking for someone.

I just saw a catalog from Ruger and the new LC380 (380 caliber in the LC9 size) might just be the ticket! Its got to be sweet to shoot, thin profile and concealable.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

The reason she liked the PK380 so much is simply because it's a little larger. The smaller 380's and 9's we shot felt like they were walking up our hand on every shot. The LCP and Khar P380 were just too small. She said it felt like they were literally going to jump out of her hand. So, the slightly larger frame is going to be better for her. That's why I keep coming back to 9 also. Like some of you have said, if you're going with a larger 380, then why not just go with a 9? .......

As far as accuracy, she was better with the 380's. Of the 9's, she likes the XD9sc the best, but we haven't tried a Shield either. We may have to go back and give the PK380 another try to see if she can't adjust to it. The mag release is a lot smaller than the one on the PPS.

Kimber Solo: It may be out of our price range. If we could find one to shoot and she loved it, then it'd be a no-brainer. But I just can't justify spending that much without trying it first.
    I hope I addressed everything. Again, I really appreciate all the comments. I really wanted to have our minds made up when we left the range, but now I think we have more questions than when we got there. :)

Then find a Walther PPS and have her try that one. A little smaller than the PK380 (PK380: L6.5"/H5.2" vs PPS: L6.3"/H4.4"), and shoots great. Very mild recoil and easy to shoot. Not for pocket carry (nor is the Shield, same size), but your wife probably would not be desiring pocket carry anyway. I carry mine in the Simply Rugged Cuda (OWB) holster.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Beretta nano
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

I'll second the Shield recommendation as well as the LCR. The LC9 is much lighter, but it feels a bit more snappy to me. I don't like the LC9 feel, but my wife loves it, and she hates the Shield feel. She also still likes the LCR with .38s. I don't think you could go wrong with a lot of the suggestions you've heard in this thread.

She says she'd much rather have a button mag release than the mag release on the trigger guard like the PPS.

We tried the Nano last time we were at the range. It was too small. It was like the other small guns that felt like it was walking up her hand on each shot.

I really want to find a Shield so we can at least see what it feels like.

I really wish the XDS9 was out already. We really like the grip and the trigger safety on my XD9. At the rate we're going, we may still be trying things out by the time the XDS9 does come out.

Despite your comments on small guns I'm going to add a third vote for the Sig P238. My wife tried many guns when she was looking for an EDC, she finally settled on the P238, small, light but very easy to control when shooting, she wouldn't have anything else.

Guy at the range pulled out a Sig 238 that just came in for another of their female customers. It was really nice and my wife loved the way it felt in her hand. In fact, the guy said if he had enough money laying around he would have one in a minute. The only problem is we shot the 232 and weren't crazy about the way it operated. I'm sure it's something we'd get used to though. He did suggest the 938 if we wanted to stay in 9.

:)
    The P238 and P938 are completely different weapons than the other P-series Sigs. Both are 1911-style guns and are single action. Our first Sig was my wife's P238. She had never owned a gun in her life and she picked it out after her gun safety class because she liked the ergonomics, it has an excellent trigger and she could rack the slide very easily. I was so impressed with it that I bought a P938, which is basically the exact same gun, just slightly sized up to accept the larger cartridge. Both are a joy to shoot, surprisingly accurate given their diminutive size and are VERY easy to carry. The P238 will drop in a front pocket in a pocket holster and you won't even know it is there. The P938 rides in an OWB holster all day and conceals under a t-shirt. I'd HIGHLY recommend that you give both of them a decent look.

I have sister is digging the Nano by Beretta 9mm, I carry a m&p40, the other sis carries a bodyguard I am ready for the sis to come out and shoot with me so I can get my hands on her Nano, I am not a big bodyguard fan and really not of the LCP

My wife carries the LCP. She loves the size & weight. The recoil is excessive, but she is use to it. She carries it in a Remora holster and has never been happier.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I really wish the XDS9 was out already
    Heve you tried, or have access to, a Kahr P9, TP9? The larger frame of these may appeal more than the tiny P380 she tried. These allow a full grip but are still very light and slim for concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Heve you tried, or have access to, a Kahr P9, TP9? The larger frame of these may appeal more than the tiny P380 she tried. These allow a full grip but are still very light and slim for concealment.
    Have not tried either of the Khars and our local range doesn't have them either. We may be planning a trip to Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna soon. Their website says they have over 300 guns in their rental cabinet. I'm thinking about calling them to see if they have some things for rent and if so, making a trip over there for my wife to shoot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links