Range trip with the wife: 380 questions

This is a discussion on Range trip with the wife: 380 questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range with my wife again tonight. My goal was to have a decision made on her first carry gun. Well, that didn't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Range trip with the wife: 380 questions

Range trip with the wife: 380 questions

Went to the range with my wife again tonight. My goal was to have a decision made on her first carry gun. Well, that didn't work out the way I had hoped. We shot a lot of guns tonight just trying to find that sweet spot for her. She likes to shoot my XD9, but it is a bit too big for her to carry. Along the same lines, she also likes the XD9sc, but being double stack is also a little hard to conceal for her. We moved from 9 to 380 and she absolutely loved the reduction in recoil. We shot the PK380, LCP, Sig 232, and Khar P380. Her favorite by far was the PK380. However, she (and I) hated the mag release position.

So my questions to those who know are: Are there any other 380's around the same size as the PK? How does the Shield compare in size and recoil to the PK? I'd love to keep her in 9 if I can.
    tony1990 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

My wife likes the Bersa 380CC, easy to hold, easy to fire and very accurate. Very little recoil for her.

franco45 likes this.
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

Not sure about other guns similar in size, but wanted to comment on "I'd love to keep her in 9 if I can." Why? A gun is only useful if it is carried. If it is too big to carry all the time, then it will do no good in the drawer.
    Defensive rounds in a 380 still has stopping power, granted, 9mm is better, but with well placed shots, the 380 is an effective round. I have that as my EDC and know if something should happen, I would rather have that then nothing at all.

Just my $.02 worth. Good luck!

Be safe!
    dangerranger and surefire7 like this.
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

I want to keep her in 9 simply so we can shoot the same ammo. Really no other reason than that.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bdbull View Post
    I want to keep her in 9 simply so we can shoot the same ammo. Really no other reason than that.
    She'd also be carrying a more effective round. Bresa has the 9CC, a single stack 9mm. Kahr CM9, Walther PPS 9, Ruger LC9, S&W Shield are all good, slim, concealable 9mm. You're wise to give the 9mm serious consideration since your wife has proven capable of managing its moderate recoil.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Do yourself a favor and don't over look the Bersa.

Quote Originally Posted by bdbull View Post
    OK, I did this when we started, just made it easier to keep one size ammo. But that has changed now for me, LOL!

Good luck.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

If your range has the Kimber Solo Carry, you should rent it and let her fire it. It's small, light (relatively) and every female that has shot mine has loved it. You'll probably want to borrow it when she's staying home. :)

Right now it's the only gun I own that is chambered in 9mm, and I carry it daily in my right front pocket. If I can do that, imagine the many ways your wife could conceal it with a good IWB/OWB holster. BTW, it replaced a KelTec .380 that I used to carry in my pocket. Bigger is better in my opinion.

Be safe
    oneshot likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Re: Range trip with the wife: 380 questions

My wife carries a Bersa Thunder .380 and loves it.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Have her take a look at the P938 since she can handle the 9mm recoil. Also, I've been looking for another BUG/last ditch gun and I had completely overlooked the P232, thanks for bringing that up! Good luck and let us know what she ends up going with.
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Kimber Solo is a great option in 9mm.

I have to give a plug for the Bersa, well made, dependable, accurate and the price won't break the bank.

I have two, the older Mod.383 .380 and the Pro .40. I imagine their 9mm is just as dependable. I alternate
    the .380 with my LCR .38Sp as EDC.

Just my .02
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Distinguished Member
    Mrs. Whoppo & I both carry Sig P238's and we absolutely love 'em. A pleasure to shoot, reliable and accurate. They're Single Action with a 1911 manual of arms, so training key.
    The Sig P938 looks nearly identical, operates the same way and meets the 9mm requirement :)

His & Hers:
    sauerpuss and DaveInEdmonds like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Those are some nice Sigs, whoppo.

OP I say you look into the Ruger LC9 or Kahr CM9, hell even a Kel Tec PF9 or P11. I did hear Ruger is releasing a .380 version of LC9 this year, that may be a good option for her. I believe in ammo commonality but if it makes her more comfortable it's worth it. You are going to feel a day at the range with a .380 in your wallet though. P3ATs and LCPs can be good guns, and modern .380 JHP is definitely nothing to sneeze at.

My girlfriend wants an LCP, I want her to get a 9mm but she doesn't think she will carry it so LCP it is. Be sure to get her solid ammo like Gold Dots, there are many under-performing rounds in that caliber.

My wife vastly prefers her LCP over my XD40 SC. That doesn't help my ammo costs, but she likes to carry it and enjoys our range days. Seems like a small cost to me. Just my 2 cents...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links