Walther P99 OK to carry cocked?? - Page 2

Walther P99 OK to carry cocked??

This is a discussion on Walther P99 OK to carry cocked?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Big Dave The P99 AS has a rather unique trigger. Decocked, it has a first shot trigger pull of 8.8 lbs and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walther P99 OK to carry cocked??

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    The P99 AS has a rather unique trigger. Decocked, it has a first shot trigger pull of 8.8 lbs and a length of 14 mm on the first shot (same as the DAO).

If it is not decocked, it has a trigger pull of only 4.4 lbs (2000g), but the length will still be 14 mm (the trigger won't go back when manually cocked).

The second shot after firing, will have a trigger pull of 4.4 lbs, and a length of 5mm, as will all subsequent shots.

Personally I feel more comfortable carrying the P99 AS decocked. But if it is cocked, it will not go off unless you pull the trigger.

I agree 100%
    the P99 can be carried cocked and due to the long first triggerpull if not decocked it be ok to carry in a GOOD holster that covers the trigger .....
    however I too carry mine decocked
    *edit... i guess I should read to the end of all posts ... then I would see that more agreed on this issue...
    keep in mind that the P99 has undergone many tests... or it would not be a police gun in Germany.... withunder droptests that are required there too in order to make it to a police trial.....
    The P99 DA/SA is called P99/AS (ANTI Stress) for a reason though.... the SA first shot long triggerpull
    Last edited by uncut; November 17th, 2006 at 02:01 PM.

Maybe I'm just feeling curmudgeonly today, but I've come to the conclusion that questions like this should always be answered "NO!!!"

No offense intended to the original poster, but if you don't understand the gun well enough, or for whatever reason don't feel comfortable carrying cocked, then HECK NO you shouldn't carry it that way! In fact, until you understand the gun's functioning and manual of arms well enough that you don't have to ask questions like this, you probably shouldn't carry it at all!

Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    Maybe I'm just feeling curmudgeonly today, but I've come to the conclusion that questions like this should always be answered "NO!!!"

No offense intended to the original poster, but if you don't understand the gun well enough, or for whatever reason don't feel comfortable carrying cocked, then HECK NO you shouldn't carry it that way! In fact, until you understand the gun's functioning and manual of arms well enough that you don't have to ask questions like this, you probably shouldn't carry it at all!

Easy there,

I do not own this pistol, I was (am) considering purchasing one so I was researching it a bit - no need for the lecture on saftey here with all the CAPS and !s

denverd0n, don't get your Thunderwear in a bunch! HAHAHA.

I would feel comfortable carrying it ready to rock, but in a holster that guards the trigger.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Mass-Diver View Post
    Easy there,

I do not own this pistol, I was (am) considering purchasing one so I was researching it a bit - no need for the lecture on saftey here with all the CAPS and !s

Mass-Diver:

Not germane to your question, but I've owned a pretty substantial little pile of pistols in my over 50 years of firerms ownership..

I have never been happier with any pistol right out of the box than I am with the Walther P99c/AS..

I have other 9's that are fine in one way or another, (S&W 3913/Walther P5/KelTec P11/Bersa Thunder 9/UC, Sig P239 come to mind) but as a whole package the Walther P99c/AS is just the complete package...

I do recommend the AS trigger if you get a Walther P99 series pistol. It seems Walther P99 and P99c owners who have the AS trigger/striker setup love it, and there has been some less than happy folks commenting on the other action types. (QA?)

I could be wrong, have been before... You might ask this same question over on the dedicated Walther forum.. You'll get plenty of response from folks who actually own the P99 or P99c's.

But I LOVE my P99c/AS...

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

SA on a SA/DA makes me sweaty...why chance it?
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links