Walther P99 OK to carry cocked??

This is a discussion on Walther P99 OK to carry cocked?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in MA, you can only buy the DA/SA (Traditional double action) model of the P99. I've heard that it's OK to cock this pistol ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther P99 OK to carry cocked??

Here in MA, you can only buy the DA/SA (Traditional double action) model of the P99. I've heard that it's OK to cock this pistol and carry it in single action (unlike a normal DA/SA) because it uses an internal striker system similar to a glock.

I know it's pretty basic, but would someone mind explaining this?

I carry my G30 with a round in the chamber with complete comfort, but without the trigger saftey, what makes it OK to carry a P99 cocked?

I'm starting to make out my Christmas list and at this point it will probably be either a G19 or a P99.

Thanks!

considering there is no external safety and about a 4# and short trigger pull in SA I would probably say no to carrying cocked. I have the gun you're talking about FYI, great gun. The thing with a Glock is that it comes stock with about 5.5# trigger IIRC and a longer pull than a SA P99. IMO it has nothing to do with the striker system, it makes no more safe or less safe in any particular mode.

A couple questions-
    Do you hve a high quality holster that covers the trigger guard?
    Are you very proficient with guns?
    Are you comfortable with an extremely short and somewhat light trigger pull being the only thing between you and a ND?

Ultimately it's up to you, I have carried Glocks condition 1 and felt totally comfortable just so you know, but you have the DA pull on the P99- I would use it....

PS- check out waltherforums, there is a tutorial over there somewhere that shows you how to trim a spring and bring the DA pull down significantly....I did it and like it much better...

Assistant Administrator
    I have a SW99C and would NOT carry that cocked - no way. I would not recommend that either - too few safeguards remaining.

It takes not too much practice to come to terms with a longer first shot DA pull IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Just to clarify, my concern was not so much an AD due to the light trigger pull, but the lack of an internal saftey. With a 1911 you carry with the saftey on (locked), and you have the grip saftey, with a glock you can carry "cocked" because of several internal safties and the trigger saftey. With all the traditional double action pistol I've owned, I would never carry them cocked, not because I was worried abou the light trigger pull, but because I felt like if I dropped the gun or was bumped into that it could go off without me touching the trigger. I had heard the P99 had some unique design that made it safe to carry cocked - guess I heard wrong.

Sorry if the above is not clear.

I know some people can get used to the da/sa pull with practice. But, for me, under stress, I've always had trouble transitioning from DA/SA. In other words, the first shot with the heavy DA would be a miss, and then the next round or two (with the light SA) would be in the roof before I recovered.

I carry my P99 QA cocked every day all day. Get a good holster and follow then rules. You will be fine.

I carry my P99 QA cocked every day all day. Get a good holster and follow then rules. You will be fine.
    Isn't the QA like a Glock trigger? He has the AS, or DA/SA, completely different than what you have. The only reason the QA even has a decocker is so that you don't have to pull the trigger to disassemble like a Glock. It wasn't really meant to carry decocked (again, I'm talking about the QA model, not the AS or DASA)

The P99 does have a drop safety- it absolutely will not go off if you do not pull the trigger, just like a Glock, HK, Kimber, and 99% of modern autos. You won't bump it and set it off. I still would not carry like that though, if you want consistent trigger pull I'd look at a Glock, HK with LEM, or Sig with DAK which all have consistent trigger pulls and are meant to carry that way...

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    I think it says in the manual of my SW99 not to carry cocked. I know the SA pull on the S&W seems to be a lot lighter than that of a Glock. I wouldn't personally feel comfortable doing it.

Lead Moderator
    I would not carry any DA/SA pistol without a manual safety in the SA mode.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The P99 DAO has a trigger pull of 8.8 lbs (4000g) and a length of 14mm on each shot.

The P99 QA has a trigger pull of 8.4 lbs (3800g) and a length of 7 mm on each shot.

The P99 AS has a rather unique trigger. Decocked, it has a first shot trigger pull of 8.8 lbs and a length of 14 mm on the first shot (same as the DAO).

If it is not decocked, it has a trigger pull of only 4.4 lbs (2000g), but the length will still be 14 mm (the trigger won't go back when manually cocked).

The second shot after firing, will have a trigger pull of 4.4 lbs, and a length of 5mm, as will all subsequent shots.

Personally I feel more comfortable carrying the P99 AS decocked. But if it is cocked, it will not go off unless you pull the trigger.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I carry Sigs decocked and have practiced to use them in this manner....
    I would imagine that under extreme duress, the DA pull would be unnoticable...

Just my .02....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member
    As Big Dave mentioned, the P99AS (Anti Stress) is the traditional DA/SA gun in the P99 line, but with the "long" trigger pull SA (cocked) carry option.

I think it's not unsafe to carry the P99AS in this mode, provided it is carried in a holster that covers the trigger guard, but I prefer to simply carry (at the range) my P99AS and P99C AS in DA first-shot mode.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I carry the SW99. The manual definately says that carrying cocked is NOT advised.

Keep in mind that NEW guns sold in MA have to stand up to very specific standards thanks to our AG. So some manufacturers need to add safety devices to make firearms Mass-compliant.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you..."
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

FWIW:

I always think of a DA trigger pull as my insurance protection from a nd/ad...

If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a lethal confrontation the extra 4.4lbs of DA striker pull on the Walther P99 will be of little concern to you. And I don't think it will affect, negatively, the outcome of the confrontation.

I prefer to cc my newly acquired P99c/AS (Glock 26 on steriods, w/o scary trigger action) with a DA first round. I think the DA will give you protection from nd/ad in a "potential crisis", but will allow you a first round tp or striker pull of only 8.8lbs.

Your heart rate, and pulse, and adrenline rush will over compensate for the 4.4lbs of additional t/s pressure you were worrying about in a crisis.. Trust me.

I doubt that 5% of us, not involved in law enforcement, will ever have need of either the 4.4, or 8.8lbs of trigger pull. I've been carrying concealed since 1969, and blessedly until this moment, (yes I just knocked on wood) have never needed my cc pistol/revolver.

I think situational awareness is critical in reducing the potential for confrontation such as we are discussing... If you get caught in a traditional "snatch 'n grab" during the day at the local convenience store that's just bad luck.. If you hang out at the same store at 3AM on the weekends you need to reevaluate your social habits.

Streets, roads lanes, neighborhoods, etc. named MLK also get my situational radar a buzzin'.. Luckily my vehicle has a reverse in it, and if I get uncomfortable in a location I reverse course pretty quickly.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Been carrying mine cocked since I picked it up about three years ago. As noted earlier a good holster is a must that will fully protect the trigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links