Well the decision is made now just waiting on payday.

This is a discussion on Well the decision is made now just waiting on payday. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had posted a time or two here that at the moment though im well armed with borrowed pistols I dont own one myself having ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ghost1958

Thread: Well the decision is made now just waiting on payday.

Well the decision is made now just waiting on payday.

I had posted a time or two here that at the moment though im well armed with borrowed pistols I dont own one myself having had to sell mine for various reasons mostly medical.
    Since I was basically rearming myself all over again Ive looked at various options costs uses of different platforms got some advice here the latest on the S and W 40 ve.

Having looked at everything for the first purchase Ive decided on the Ruger LCR in 357. Its potent enough to deal with anything any other caliber will even from a short barrel.

It can serve as a iwb or pocket gun in a pinch should I need to. 5 rounds of 357 Im very comfortable with though I will probably get a speed strip also as I dont think speed loaders are made for this revolver as yet. Plus I have the luxury due to very good and close friends that I can carry either a 40 high cap or 45 8 plus one if I were to travel to a more gang type area. I live in the woods and only two small towns miles away now.

I will after this save up and get probably a ruger security six or similar offering used as I have the chance in a three or four inch barrel either of which I have worn concealed with no problems in the past.
    Using a six shot 357 and 5 shot back up in the same caliber I personally wont feel under gunned where ever I might be.

I had thought to get a carbine in this caliber as well but they are very expensive and unless and until I can find one used at a very good price that may not happen. I have the 12 ga 22 lr and 223 hunting rifle so long guns Im ok with for now.

Im not new to firearms by any means but when one has basically sold out and is rearming with not a ton of money to do so one tends to try to think carefully what the best platform would be for him/her. The use of two caliber ammos, one highly regarded as a fight stopper out of any length barrel and the fat that after checking several places the same count box of ammo of any brand is only something like a dollar per box more than any other sevice caliber at least in my area for me its the 357 revolver.

Thanks for the insights and input on weapons I wasnt familar with and most are fine weapons. Some out of my price range and others I would dearly like to own in the future once my basic needs are met.
    Thanks again guys
    franco45 and 40Bob like this.

2. Remove Ads

The LCR is a very fine revolver and should serve you well. I don't remember if you mentioned whether you have shot one in .357. It's got quite a bite, since it's so lightweight. It is controllable but you should definitely put in a good amount of practice with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    The LCR is a very fine revolver and should serve you well. I don't remember if you mentioned whether you have shot one in .357. It's got quite a bite, since it's so lightweight. It is controllable but you should definitely put in a good amount of practice with it.
    Yes ive shot it and comparable snubbys in 357. Im not recoil sensitive even less so now that nerve damage in my spine has mde my hands and arms basically numb for the past 10 years I dont find the recoil that bad just personally. And the Hogue grips and the way this little fire breather is made with the weight forward makes it more of a hard backward push than barrel lifting blast at least to me. And I do practice quite a bit of SD combat etc shooting with whatever I carry. Good point to bring up though

Being in a financial pinch definitely brings logic into the arena of firearm purchases. It appears you have a well thought out plan to arm and defend yourself.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    In a pinch Id give these a quick once over.

Google Image Result for http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt271/garyronck/armscor38lft.jpg

They are a copy of the old Colt Detective Special. Ive seen and held two of these and other than the sprayed on finish, these aren't bad! For a $200 gun they do the job. DR

You made a well thought out decision. I believe J frame speed loaders will work with the LCR.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Thanks 40Bob I hadnt tried one for fit just going on what I had read and the dealer told me. Of course when I purchase the LCR I will check the J frame speed loaders.

As to the Colt, in my neck of the woods IF you can find a sling shot with Colt on it the price is crazy high. Colt I guess is the Holy Grail to a lot of folks that live here. I havent seen a Colt anything for sale here in a very long time.

I just bought a LCR for my wife to use. I am very impressed with it. Relatively low recoil, easy to shoot, and very concealable.
    You will like it a lot.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

I think you will be happy. I picked up an LCR in .38+P over Christmas as my pocket gun.
    There is more than enough good PDX ammo in .38 to stop most problems.
    The trigger is much nicer than the equivalent gun in S&W.

Congrats!

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Yes, a KLCR is a nice RUGER.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!
    The year is young and another World Series championship awaits!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    My wife's EDC is a LCR-CT, perfect size and weight but is a tad bit snappy when firing +P ammo, but she uses wadcutters in practice.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

38 cal I will be using for some of my practice ammo or if on occasion the wife is carrying this one. For edc the 125 gr jhp will be the main fodder sd. wadcutters in 357 will probably be a good deal of my practice ammo. Its just habit with me to practice with the same load ill be carrying for the most part.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Links