S&W model 60

S&W model 60

This is a discussion on S&W model 60 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently acquired a new to me M60 it was in the original box and was wearing beautiful sanbar stag grips it had quite a ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Gunnie
  • 1 Post By RoadRunner71
  • 2 Post By FlaRon
  • 1 Post By pogo2

Thread: S&W model 60

S&W model 60

I recently acquired a new to me M60 it was in the original box and was wearing beautiful sanbar stag grips it had quite a bit of carry wear and am currently polishing the lighter scratches out. It has no dash and a pinned barrel. I borrowed a bianchi 9R bullitt style shoulder holster from a friend and love it. I have two questions number one I can't seem to find a similar holster for sale new other then the vega model can anyone give a review. And an opinion of this I love the bianchi but am not sure if I will be able to trade my friend out of it. Also would like to know the date of manufacture. Serial number is R163***
    Attached Images
    bmcgilvray likes this.

R100000-R190000 covers the years 1974 to 1977 so yours is probably 1975 or 1976. This data is from the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" by Supica and Nahas. Smith & Wesson could answer your query with more precision.

Great revolver and perhaps is actually the very best 5-shot Smith & Wesson .38 Special revolver ever made. Get rid of the scratches that you can and don't worry about the rest. Just carry it and shoot it and be happy.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The box has the date9-23-76 thought maybe that was the production date thank you very much I've been shinning on it for a couple days coming along nicely and I think the grips complement it well

Who knows.

If it's hand written then likely it's the date it was acquired by the original owner who thought to write it on the box. Could have been written there by the shop when it was originally taken into inventory. Never observed Smith & Wesson to date their boxes but one should never say never. If it isn't the production date or the factory shipping date then it is likely close enough to the actual production date.

Yes, those stag stocks do dress it up a bit over the light and somewhat orange-y colored walnut panels generally provided by the factory during those years. Nice touch for it to be old enough to still feature the pinned barrel.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I have a model 60 also, sweet little revolvers.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Something else I like is the owner had retained all of the factory pamphlets registration cards warranty work information for were it would be sent and even the small cleaning rod and brush. He told me the grips were put on right after he bought it. The original walnuts are in perfect shape in the box. Doesn't look like the gun was carried once with them. The stags have fairly heavy coloration from oils in the hand and only one small scratch. Truly a good find and makes an excellent addition to my 686. Thank you all for the replies.

VIP Member
    Very nice find. I picked up one just a couple of years older almost a year ago. It was completely stock with the original box and papers also. It had almost NO wear at all and if it had 50 rounds through it I would be surprised. I am not a wheel-gunner but, that little Smith is true prize. Oh, and it is a fabulous little shooter. You'll love yours.

I like the stag on yours. I may have to look into that.

Thanks for sharing.

Here are a couple of mine.

DSC00196.jpg

DSC00190.jpg
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Revolvers are crazy cool!

I really 98% of the time carry semi-'s but really love revolvers.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

...GREAT gun...I carried the M60 in the 70s as backup...bobbed the hammmer....Packy Compac grips...had the Bianchi upside down shoulder holster held closed with elastic in front...think that was a 9...this one's close to them: Upside Down Shoulder Holster hope you enjoy yours...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    Something else I like is the owner had retained all of the factory pamphlets registration cards warranty work information for were it would be sent and even the small cleaning rod and brush. He told me the grips were put on right after he bought it. The original walnuts are in perfect shape in the box. Doesn't look like the gun was carried once with them. The stags have fairly heavy coloration from oils in the hand and only one small scratch. Truly a good find and makes an excellent addition to my 686. Thank you all for the replies.

Cool

Nice model 60 and beautiful grips with just the right amount of bark on them.

Mine is a 1983 with Eagle Secret Service grips and a bobbed hammer.

Image.jpg Image 1.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

I carry it in a High Noon Public Secret IWB holster or a Remora pocket holster.

Not my EDC but it slips into the rotation on special occasions.

Regards,

FlaRon
    bmcgilvray and Sandpiper like this.
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

Nice find

The S&W model 60 is one of the classic revolvers of all time. It was good in blued steel as the model 36, but is probably better in stainless as the model 60 because of better corrosion resistance.

bmcgilvray likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

You can definitely tell that revolver has seen some use - I like that. Please post pics as you clean it up.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I carried a 1966 model 60 that my father gave to me for many years, a great gun. My brother is now the proud owner, sorry to say.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Love my Mod 60 357 mag.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

From what I can tell looking at forcing cone, inside cylinder, and at the crane area this one was fired little. Looks to me like the gentleman carried it in his pocket with loose change so far all the scratches are polishing out well. They have the stag grips on eBay. I really like the feel of the stags they remain easy to hold even if hands are sweaty due to it being porus much like ivory. I will worn you the grips generally run in the two hundred dollar range for the j frame

Sponsored Links