1911 3" barrel.

This is a discussion on 1911 3" barrel. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm about to buy a Kimber Super Carry Ultra+. I'm concerned about the reliability of the barrel length. I would like some feedback from person ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 1911 3" barrel.

Question 1911 3" barrel.

I'm about to buy a Kimber Super Carry Ultra+. I'm concerned about the reliability of the barrel length. I would like some feedback from person experiences with this gun.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Old school guys will swear up and down that 3" 1911's are unreliable and the platform was made for 5"... 4.25" is barely acceptable. Then drones of others will chime in about their uber-reliable 3" ers. I had a uber-reliable Springfield Ultra Compact (3") and I had a RIA that was only reliable with Wilson Combat mags and Gold Dot ammo... (FMJ wouldn't feed right for some weird reason).

Anyway... IMO they're fine. And if they're not fine right out of the box you can find somebody who will make it fine.
    Smarshe and carracer like this.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Brother a 3 inch 1911 is just my game. I love my Kimber Ultra Covert II its been my EDC for over a year and never failed. You'll love it.
    Smarshe likes this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure it'll be fine. And like you said, if its not ill make it good.

How easy is it to carry? I have a Milt Sparks Excecutive Companion on order. How do you carry it?

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I've got 2 buddies with 3" Kimbers and I've heard zero complaints. I've shot both of them and function was excellent. I've got 3" Para and it also runs like a sewing machine. Good luck.
    Smarshe likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarshe View Post
    How easy is it to carry? I have a Milt Sparks Excecutive Companion on order. How do you carry it?
    Very. I carry mine on my belt in a Tagua quickdraw leather holster. The holster I use keeps the weapon tight to the body.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Good experience with 3 inch 1911

I use a 3 inch Colt Defender, similar to the Kimber you are considering. I have owned this gun for about 6 years, buying it slightly used from the original owner. It has been perfectly reliable for me, and I have put about 1000 rounds through it and changed the recoil springs once. I modified it slightly with thin grips, a Wilson drop in grip safety, a McCormick trigger and a dehorn job on the slide. I carry it in a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard. It is very accurate and has an excellent trigger pull. I use 185 grain Remington Golden Saber ammo, which feeds well.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Nothing with a cupped beavertail for me. If a sleeve manages to get caught in it, you are out of business.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Until recently I had a Kimber Ultra Tactical II. I wanted to love the gun, I wanted to carry it ALL the time. But......it wouldn't reliably feed every kind of ammo. I ran about 600 rounds through the thing like everyone said to. I switched to Tripp Research mags, and I polished the feed ramp (a few times). It just wouldn't eat HP rounds reliably. For the kind of money I spent on it, I expected better. However, when it ran properly it was incredibly accurate.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have 3 Kimbers, one of which is an Ultra Carry II. It was finicky at first. Once I ran 4-500 rounds of FMJ through it and polished the feed ramp, it runs perfectly. If you buy and dont know how to tweak a 1911, there are many good smiths who can make it work for you. A 1911 is not a gun for somebody who is'nt willing to put some effort into keeping it clean and lubricated. Once it's broken in however, it will be your most loved firearm. IMHO
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Anybody recommend +P ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Smarshe View Post
    Anybody recommend +P ammo?
    IMO .45 ACP has enough punch to go with standard loads, but everybody has an opinion.

I had it recommended to me specifically for the function in a 3" 1911.

I like my Colt New Agent and I shoot a lot of reloads when practicing without issues. I have complete confidence in it. I haven't seen a New Agent at my range or on here for that matter. Its a good platform IMHO. I alternate between this and my SP101 for carry. I have custom leather for each of them as I believe a holster and belt should be reliable as well.

"The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links