Do you/would you carry a gun in .40?

This is a discussion on Do you/would you carry a gun in .40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes - a Smith &Wesson Shield chambered in .40. It's a powerful round with real snap, excellent for SD in the hands of an experienced ...

View Poll Results: Do you/would you carry a .40 for your EDC?

Voters
485. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do

238 49.07%
  • I don't, but I would

164 33.81%
  • No

83 17.11%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Do you/would you carry a gun in .40?

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

Yes - a Smith &Wesson Shield chambered in .40. It's a powerful round with real snap, excellent for SD in the hands of an experienced shooter. It's my second favorite round - sitting just below the venerable .45 ACP round.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Carry a Beretta 40 S&W on duty and a Glock 27 off duty. Getting ready to add a Shield into the mix.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    A FNP40 is in my rotation.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I've already got a 9mm and a .45ACP so I really don't see any need for a .40S&W. It won't do anything the other two won't.
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

Re: Do you/would you carry a gun in .40?

SR40c EDC. I shoot it better than my SR9. And the 9+1 or 15+1 capacity is nice as well.

Sent from my phone using Dumb Thumbs

Quote Originally Posted by lamerem View Post
    Because I have yet to see the stores in my area adopt a decent supply of 10mm ammo!
    Store bought 10mm is not really full power loads.
    One needs to purchase it from Buffalo Bore, Underwood or Double Tap for true full power loads.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Re: Do you/would you carry a gun in .40?

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Store bought 10mm is not really full power loads.
    One needs to purchase it from Buffalo Bore, Underwood or Double Tap for true full power loads.
    Back to my point of cost. You gotta be able to practice with what you carry and for some, 10mm is too expensive for that.

Sent via telepathy on a Galaxy S3
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I don't at the moment but I did at one time. P229R in .40. Sadly I had to sell it some yaers back.

I plan on picking another one in the next couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Our local police department is currently in the process of switching from .40 caliber Glocks to the .45 caliber Sig. You can read that story here...

KPD switching to higher caliber service weapons » Knoxville News Sentinel

Feel free to agree or disagree with the argument about stopping power. I already have two pistols in .45 ACP.

I won't be buying a .40 simply because I don't need another caliber of ammo that I can't find anywhere.
    Apparently there was more to the switch from Glock to Sig than superior stopping power in .45 ACP. This story ran today.

Documents reveal more about KPD switch in weapons » Knoxville News Sentinel

It's the first I've heard of serious reliability problems with Glocks.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I am not really sure how anyone could say that they absolutely would not carry a .40. I could understand not liking it, or saying it wouldn't be their first choice, but the .40 is a more than adequate pistol cartridge. To me its like someone saying they absolutely wouldn't carry a 9mm or .45, all are fine in defensive ammunition.

Also I carry a 9mm and .40.
    Eric357 and Tzed250 like this.

I have an old Glock 23 that is carried sometimes (more often in cold weather when it can be concealed better under more layers of clothing).
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

P229

I have a P229 SAS 40 S&W in my carry rotation. I bought the 40 because I could get barrels for it in 357 Sig and 9mm as well as a .22 conversion kit for a pretty well rounded gun. I can practice with cheaper caliber ammo and carry in 40 S&W. The weight of the P229 soaks up recoil very well and carries easily in a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder STX Champion OWB holster with a jacket, vest or untucked shirt as a cover garment.
    GaJoe1950

I shot one and found it to be a bit more recoil and snappy than other calibers, nothing wrong with that though. If you want one I would suggest you try to find one you could shoot before you buy it. I can't tell you how many people I have met who bought a carry gun and wound up not liking it for different reasons and that is with various calibers and models.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Personally, I prefer the .40 over the 9mm or the .45 for EDC. The .40 is set at 35,000 psi like the 9mm, has just about the velocity of the 9mm but has expansion with good rounds rival that of a .45, .96-.97 for a .40 vs .99 of a .45
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

Pro
    I'm moving from my S&W J-Frame (Model 38 Bodyguard) to a Glock 27 as my primary EDC. I'm sure I'll still carry my J-Frame from time to time, but plan is to carry the new Glock. Just breaking in my new holster so that I can draw it smoothly. Already put 125+ flawless rounds through it, so good to go.

Links