Do you/would you carry a gun in .40?

This is a discussion on Do you/would you carry a gun in .40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't but would....

View Poll Results: Do you/would you carry a .40 for your EDC?

Voters
485. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do

238 49.07%
  • I don't, but I would

164 33.81%
  • No

83 17.11%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Do you/would you carry a gun in .40?

I don't but would.

2. Remove Ads

I carried a Sig P239 in .40 for several years. A little snappy, but no big deal. I recently converted it to .357 Sig, mainly because I wanted one.

Do you/would you carry a gun in .40?

My EDC is a XD40SC
    Rob
    -----------
    Play in the heavens baby girl. For we will again one day see you.
    Gracie Rae P Nov 16,2004 - Sept 2,2012
    Forever daddy's girl!
    -----------

I voted "no". I'm waiting for someone to tell me what I get from that round that I can't get from a stout 9mm with +p+ loads, or a .45 with Ranger T's.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Well, I hope I would, as I plan to snag a Glock 22 this week.

the only reason I don't own one is because im trying to keep from having to may calibers im looking at a glock or a xd in 40 now though ive got 38 spl 45 and 9mm so im really trying not to have to many different calibers if you know what I mean the 9mm is my wifes but she don't have a cc yet so its used as a night stand gun for now my ,45 is my primary carry and my 38 spl is my bug but when I decide my next gun my .45 will be the night stand gun and when my wife gets her cc so yeah id love a 40 power of a 45 almost and the round count of a 9mm real question is will you carry one

History: I carried a 1911 for many a year; USMC 1961-1971 and a Combat Commander as an LEO and/or civilian from 1971-1988 then switched to a G17, followed by a G19, then a G23 when they came out and shot a highly tuned G35 in the local IDPA matches.
    I have tried a G30, G36 and a G21SF

Within the last 18 months I have went back to the 1911: a .45 ACP platform for my House gun, my EDC and a 9mm for an IDPA match gun.

I had always kept a 1911 and shot it at the range.

The 1911 platform just seems to work a smite better for me as an all around handgun.

Nothing against Glocks. If I was restricted to nothing but a Glock I would not complaint. But so far I am not limited to just one handgun.

My wife has a G19 as a EDC/House gun which she prefers over the 1911 or a revolver. She is proficient with either.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

I have a 40... and right now the only reason I did 40 over 9mm is i freaking can find ammo for 40! but with that said I have no issue with the 9mm we have other then its too big for my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    I voted "no". I'm waiting for someone to tell me what I get from that round that I can't get from a stout 9mm with +p+ loads, or a .45 with Ranger T's.
    +P+ are a bit pricier, and a lot of small guns can't handle them. All .40 S&W guns can handle all .40 rounds. I have a G23 and G27. I also have a Beretta Nano in 9mm. It is thinner because it is only single stack. More and more I am favoring single stack guns. Most real life gun fights end in 3 shots or less, so I don't feel real insecure with a 6 shooter, especially with a second magazine.

I switched from 9mm to 40 early last month, SIG P229 and love it! I've had on the job 40's of Glock and S&W and never liked them. The 229 is the platform for the 40.

I have several in 40, carry the XD sub most of the time, however for those who don't like snappy I have a Glock 40 that is compensated to me it feels like I am firing a 9mm fun to shoot light to carry all day.

I carry a nine but have carried a 40.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I like .40 in a full size pistol but anything smaller: give me the good old American .45acp
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy...

M&P 45c, S&W 642, Browning BPS

I don't but I would.

But to buy a caliber you don't already have, and the way ammo's temporally drying up. If you don't have at least one in that caliber already then now isn't the time to start...unless you roll your own.

VIP Member
    I have a .40 cal. I don't carry it because I don't enjoy shooting it like I do my .45 ACPs or 9mms. I would have no qualms carrying it if I needed to, it just is not my first preference.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links