Do you/would you carry a gun in .40?

This is a discussion on Do you/would you carry a gun in .40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a .40. Didn't care for it. In my opinion, there's nothing a .40 can do that a 9mm +P cannot....

View Poll Results: Do you/would you carry a .40 for your EDC?

Voters
485. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do

238 49.07%
  • I don't, but I would

164 33.81%
  • No

83 17.11%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Do you/would you carry a gun in .40?

I had a .40. Didn't care for it. In my opinion, there's nothing a .40 can do that a 9mm +P cannot.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

2. Remove Ads

As several others have stated I don't plan on adding any .40's to our arsenal mostly because we have enough calibers now to keep track of.
    We are all quite happy with our 9mm's and when a little bigger bag may be required a .38+P fills the need.

Maybe someday if they ever make a unique .40 we will give it a try but for now we are content.

.40 S&W provides the capacity, velocity, punch and wound size I favor for EDC. My choice of pistols for this purpose wearing summer clothing is a G27. For winter clothing, a FNS-40.
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”

I am a proud NRA Benefactor Supporting the Second Amendment

Do you/would you carry a gun in .40?

Quote Originally Posted by nframe357 View Post
    I switched from 9mm to 40 early last month, SIG P229 and love it! I've had on the job 40's of Glock and S&W and never liked them. The 229 is the platform for the 40.
    Best pistol i've shot .40 through. It was very soft shooting through a Range rental P229!

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I like the cost and magazine capacity of 9mm.

I like the power of the .45. (I also just prefer my 1911 in .45ACP)

I've fired my LEO buddy's Glock 22(Fullsize .40S&W) and it had more perceived recoil than my buddy's Glock 30(subcompact .45 ACP)... go figure...

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I sometimes carry a 40, if I'm not carrying a 45 or 10mm.
    Prefer 40 over 9mm.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I've tried 40's but they are my least favorite caliber because I do not shoot them very well. All my handguns are 9mm. I love 45 out of a steel 5 inch 1911 and one of these days will just need to scratch that itch. I also like 357sig and shoot it much better than 40, but frankly Winchester Ranger 127gr +p+ (which is what I keep in my HK USPf and M&Pf) is so close to 357sig that I am not sure I would be gaining much by moving to 357 rather than the 127 gr +p+

I carry my Glock 23 when I'm out and about. The only thing I don't like about it vs a 9mm is the ammo cost.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    I voted "no". I'm waiting for someone to tell me what I get from that round that I can't get from a stout 9mm with +p+ loads, or a .45 with Ranger T's.
    I'm a newbie here so please dont take this as me trying to start a fight. I'm just trying to learn since I'm new to semi-auto world.I usually shot my .357 revolvers.I have my first real semi (non 22lr) on layaway in .40. I often hear people make a comment like this and wonder about it. I could be completely wrong here so if I am anyone and everyone feel free to educate me. When you start getting into +p and +P+ your just getting into the ballpark of the .40. But if your adding in =p ammo what happens when you step the 40 up to the +p 40 ammo like BB makes. The +p ammo bb makes is almost putting the .40 into average .357 power but with a larger bullet. Please remember I'm just learning so clear me up. Also with the +p+ 9mm ammo arent you bringing the recoil up significantly where you get to the place that it may be close to the same as the .40? I'm new as I said my my thoughts here are just based on severl months of reading and studying, I has no "real world" experience with either cal.

Carry a S&W M&P 40c or Colt NA .45. Wife carries the 9's
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found raped and dead in an alley, strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker took two to the chest.

I carry a Springfield XDm in .40 and absolutely love it. My previous EDC was a TZ-75 in 9mm, but that was a very heavy gun to wear on my hip so it normally went in a shoulder holster. I wanted something that was lighter to carry and still had good stopping power. After testing many different pistols I chose the XDm. I still occassionally carry both with the XDm as primary at 3 o'clock and the TZ as backup.

VIP Member
    I carried a .40 for many years. The only reason I quit was do to a wrist injury that bothers me whenever I try to shoot .40 anymore.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I like the 9mm recoil better... Also, it seems like all the advances in ammo have made the 9mm round a lot more versatile. Really good 9mm ammo can stop just as well as .40 cal.

Anyway, I just go with what feels good and what I can handle effectively.
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

Cool

I have carried a Glock 23 on and off the job and I like the .40 S&W round just fine.

photo.jpgphoto.jpgImage 4.jpg
    click images to enlarge....

Loaded with a quality self defense round such as the Gold Dot or Golden Saber in 165 gr. makes this I believe a very formidable handgun for anti-personnel use in a compact package.

Put the rounds where they are suppose to be and you are going to be just fine if your choice for SD is a .40 S&W in a quality platform.

Regards,

FlaRon

P.S.

I do have a 9mm that gets carried now and then for sentimental reasons and I feel well armed with it also but the day to day workhorse is the .40 Glock 23.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

I carry the H&K P30 .40 S&W, it fits me for my size.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links