Carry gun ADD?

This is a discussion on Carry gun ADD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I currently carry the M&P 45c. In the past year, I've carried a glock 22, an m&p9c, a s&w642, and my current gun. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Carry gun ADD?

Carry gun ADD?

Hi all, I currently carry the M&P 45c. In the past year, I've carried a glock 22, an m&p9c, a s&w642, and my current gun. now I've been perusing the internet forums trying to decide whether to switch to the 1911. I've shot both side by side and don't shoot one over the other at a defensive distance (obviously the 1911 won out at over 25ft.) my question is do I have a legitimate reason to switch? (shorter trigger pull, less recoil) or am I just having a case of carry gun ADD? thanks in advance
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy...

M&P 45c, S&W 642, Browning BPS

2. Remove Ads

Pick a lane!

I would stick with the M&P and shoot it enough to be great with it and stop over thinking it.
    smolck likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Why would a 1911 variant "obviously" win out over the S&W M&P .45c at distances over 25 ft.?

IMHO, you're switching handguns faster than you're giving yourself time to become familiar with any single one.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Just a case of Gunnitis.

I have it too, especially when it comes to snubbie revolvers.

I love 'em all.
    40Bob likes this.

yeahhh I think y'all might be right. time to take the m&p to the range and re-fall in love :))
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy...

M&P 45c, S&W 642, Browning BPS

Pick which ever one feels better carrying and shooting, then get really good with that one.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

I am guilty of the same thing. But I will tell you this. I have finally come full circle. I have owned almost every top striker fired pistol out there. After firing all of them I am finally settling on the Springfield XD9 I just bought. I know it works and it works well. I am confident that this time I will stick with it. The only thing I might do is carry an XD9SC or new XDs 9mm in the warmer months, but that is the same shooting platform so not really any different than the smaller grip. I plan on owning manu different pistols, but I plan on carrying just one from now on. Good luck! Its tough...lol

Quote Originally Posted by mandpeter View Post
    Hi all, I currently carry the M&P 45c. In the past year, I've carried a glock 22, an m&p9c, a s&w642, and my current gun. now I've been perusing the internet forums trying to decide whether to switch to the 1911. I've shot both side by side and don't shoot one over the other at a defensive distance (obviously the 1911 won out at over 25ft.) my question is do I have a legitimate reason to switch? (shorter trigger pull, less recoil) or am I just having a case of carry gun ADD? thanks in advance
    If you are planning on getting robbed from 25' away, you'll be all set with the 1911...1911's are great guns, I had three of them, but it's all a personal choice, and what we all think doesn't mean much.
    Hopyard likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    You actually need a reason to buy a 1911?
    cmdrdredd and nontechguy like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You actually need a reason to buy a 1911?
    I always thought standing close to one was reason enough!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    I like a more tactical gun with large mag cap and DA/SA. The 1911 is thin but only SA so you would need to be comfortable with one in the chamber and hammer back. Lots people are ok with it since there is a safety and a grip mechanism that must be depressed in order to fire.

I like a DA for my first shot with the follow ups in SA. I love 1911s but I don't carry one often. I would rather carry a less expensive gun something like my Glock 26/19 ( I don't care if it gets holster rash)
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

NMB
    Keltec p3at - Charter Arms UC - Keltec PF9 - Remington R1 1911 - Glock 19 - Kahr CM9 - SW 642

That has been my transition from beginning to present with ccw firearms. The only pistols I still own are the 642, 1911, and glock 19.

I carry the 642 at work, since its the smallest and I really dont want to be made at my office. The Glock 19 goes on after 5 and on weekends.

Good Luck!
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Just choose one that you can fire the most accurate then send one the extras to me

Write down each one on a separate piece of paper 5 times. Fold them up and toss them in a hat. Draw names. First to 3 is what you buy lots of ammo for and practice with cause that's what you carry.

There's no wrong answer, just pick one and practice with it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

double post
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links