XD SC Grip Safety for AIWB?

This is a discussion on XD SC Grip Safety for AIWB? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my fiance and I are both applying for our CCW permit and shopping around for pistols. I've already bought the M&P9c for myself and ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By matthew03
  • 2 Post By MLittle

Thread: XD SC Grip Safety for AIWB?

So my fiance and I are both applying for our CCW permit and shopping around for pistols. I've already bought the M&P9c for myself and of course, she really likes it also. Not that I'd have a problem with getting her one as well, but this gives me the opportunity to get something different for myself if needed.

I've been shopping for holsters and the one that has attracted most of my attention is the 3 speed holster, which is appendix carry. So I got to thinking about it and the M&P has no safety at all. I have quite a bit of experience with an M9 when I was enlisted but we exclusively used leg holsters, although I never once even came close to an accidental discharge.

So now that I'll more than likely be pointing the barrel at a very important part of my body (not to mention the femoral artery) i'm beginning to think that maybe the grip safety on the Springfield guns is a good thing. Just in case the belt buckle or shirt were to catch the trigger while re holstering or something..

What are your thoughts or opinions?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by scottypimpin; January 28th, 2013 at 10:47 AM.

I carry at about 12:00 with a Glock - when I'm reholstering, I don't pretend to be scanning for threats, or do it walking backwards down a flight of stairs. I look down into my holster, ensure that it's clear of any obstructions, then I reholster. You can also tilt your pelvis back for added safety if you like. When the gun is in the holster, it is secure. The trigger is covered. For myself - I have no issue with it. Others feel differently.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I carry at about 12:00 with a Glock
    Good point, which holster do you use?

Custom Carry Concepts Shaggy - with reverse cant. Or Dale Fricke Archangel. Or Raven Concealment Vanguard 2. Depending on if I have to be taking it on and off, and if I have to have my shirt tucked in.

Re-holstering isn't a thing with the Vanguard 2 - you take the "holster" off your belt to do it.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    In most cases with the XD, which I own, you will be depressing the grip safety when you reholster unless you practice a method of using the fingers (thumb) on the rear of the slide to push the gun home. While I like the grip safety, it does not help that much when reholstering. You still need to be very conscious of what you are doing.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I carry a G23 AIWB with a Dale Fricke Archangel, less frequently a Zac, and even less an XD Service .40 in a Zac. I practice very safe, methodical re-holstering and pay attention to possible obstructions that could cause a ND. I wouldn't put any faith in a mechanical device, (grip safety) over proper technique. Just go slow and follow safe gun handling practices. Welcome to DC and good luck with the new purchases.
    Tally XD, 00z28 and aus71383 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I carry at about 12:00 with a Glock - when I'm reholstering, I don't pretend to be scanning for threats, or do it walking backwards down a flight of stairs. I look down into my holster, ensure that it's clear of any obstructions, then I reholster. You can also tilt your pelvis back for added safety if you like. When the gun is in the holster, it is secure. The trigger is covered. For myself - I have no issue with it. Others feel differently.

Austin
    Austin, I agree with you..... You need to have a healthy respect for your firearm and firearm safety ESPECIALLY when carrying aiwb. You can choose firearms that are inherently a little safer to carry in this position (double/single action pistols and pistols with manual safeties), or you can be especially careful when carrying firearms with no manual safeties...... It's probably wise to practice drawing from your holster, but I'd recommend doing so with a cleared weapon. My aiwb holster has staps that attach to my belt. To be really safe you could remove your holster.....holster the loaded Glock....then reinsert holster (and firearm) in your pants. This would remove any danger of an accidental discharge while reholstering. Just some ideas to consider..... When you carry aiwb there is really no room for error.
    aus71383 and wishyouwell like this.

I practice drawing and dry firing at home with a cleared weapon - at the range I draw from concealment and shoot - but I don't "speed reholster" like I see many people doing that carry OWB at 3:00. Doesn't make sense to me. If I need my gun and end up using it, I will have it in my hand until the threat is gone - at which point I'll have the time to reholster slowly and carefully.

But yes - "don't shoot your junk off, or your femoral artery." That is what I think to myself as I carefully reholster....

Austin

I just don't like carrying anything pointed directly at my junk. I'm a rear of the hip type guy... I'd rather blow out a major artery or something rather than blowing off my junk and surviving.

Don't forget the trigger safety, too. Plus my XD-40 has such a LONG pull... It's gonna take a really bad screw up to accidentally discharge while holstering, re-holstering.

I would do like a previous poster advised and always remove the holster if for some reason you need to reholster. I will also pinch the outside of the grip to avoid activating the grip safety when possible. That, with the trigger safety gives you a consistent 2 lines of defense against an accidental discharge.

Don't underestimate the power of the chamber indicator, either. It's a really nice feature for that extra bit of assurance, whatever the case may be.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I was just over thinking the idea when the thought of being able to get a "safer gun" came to mind. I'll just practice over and over with the unloaded weapon, I'm sure everything will be just fine.

The grip safety is a nice feature to have, but like has been said it's not completely necessary. I rarely carry appendix, as I carry around 4 o'clock most often, but I normally re-holster my XD with my thumb on the back of slide so that the grip safety isn't depressed. It's peace of mind for me knowing that as long as the gun is functioning correctly a snagged trigger will not be a deadly issue if it somehow happened. That, and IWB carry in my experience is a little annoying to re-holster when you're gripping the gun normally.

Sponsored Links