Interested in Sig Sauer P238

This is a discussion on Interested in Sig Sauer P238 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by whoppo The P238 (and 938) are very safe weapons when used as designed. They're also far more enjoyable to shoot than the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Interested in Sig Sauer P238

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    The P238 (and 938) are very safe weapons when used as designed. They're also far more enjoyable to shoot than the other subcompact pistols that are common (LCP, BG380, etc).
    I could not agree more. The slide operation P238 (and I assume the 938) is as smooth as silk and no where near as stiff as the LCP and I have both. I remember when the P238 could be had for just under $500.00. Today you are lucky to find one in the $600.00 range.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

My P238 was $469 with a laser! Deal, right!? Sale at LGS day after Christmas!

VIP Member
    I will simply echo what others have said. Great little guns practice and train with them until you feel comfortable then have at it.

Lory carries this one around the house a lot.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

There are no series of circumstances in which your thumb should ever touch the hammer of a loaded Sig 238.
    Rhcmlc likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Here's another vote for the P238. My wife has one and loves it. I like it so much that I bought a P938 for my carry gun.

I went shooting today. Mondays are "ladies day" at my range and I was sharing the bay with three women. They all shot my 938 and two of them asked for the particulars as they wanted to look at one for themselves. One had a Bodyguard that she doesn't enjoy shooting and the other was renting a LCR, thinking she might want one.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Have 2 p238 and a p938 cant beat them
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Revolver mentality, the revolver when cocked has a light trigger but the P238 has a fairly heavy trigger even when cocked about the same as my S&W Airweight in double action (though a shorter pull) AND it has a reliable safety. For revolver mentality, that safety takes a little practice to get it off as you are drawing the weapon. I was very used to the Airweight and when I started with the P238, that was my biggest hangup. Now I prefer to carry the P238 because it is so easy to carry and doesn't print hardly at all.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

I have a P238 and love it. It took me a while to get used to carrying cocked and locked. I kept having visions of it going off in my bellyband while running. However, I forced myself to get over this fear mainly because this time of year, it's cold, I'm usually wearing gloves AND I have a hold of my dog's leash when out running. There's no way I would I have time or the dexterity to draw, rack the slide and then pull trigger if my life was ever threatened by an attacker. So, I practiced a ton (dry fire at home and live at the range) loading it, chambering a round, clicking the safety on, then removing the magazine and clearing the chambered round with the safety still on. Did this over and over until I was completely comfortable with the process. It's been my primary carry, cocked and locked, every since.

Sig P238 and Walther PPK

You asked about the Sig P238 vs. the Walther PPK. I have two .380 pistols, a Walther PPK I've had for 15 years, and a P238 I just got 4 months ago. I like both guns, and have used them as backup to larger guns, or as a primary gun when concealment was important. I always liked the PPK for its ergonomics and accuracy, although I didn't like the first double action trigger pull, which is quite heavy. The subsequent single action trigger on the PPK is excellent, however.

The Sig P238 is a superior gun to the PPK in several ways, I think. It is a little smaller and lighter weight because of its aluminum frame, hence easier to carry and conceal. It has a consistent single action trigger on every shot, night sights, low recoil and ease of racking the slide compared to the Walther. You can also carry the P238 easily in your pocket, which is difficult with the all steel PPK because of its weight.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

My wife loves the P238 but its not for novice shooters. The LCP has a longer trigger pull and poor sights so it seems harder to shoot accurately. I would suggest starting with a light weight revolver such as the LCR but practice with the Sig at the range and for home defense until you are comfortable. There is no need to ever cock the hammer with your thumb or let it down slowly on a live round.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

I own a P238 that my wife stole from me to carry. They are based off of a 1911 platform and are designed to be carried cocked and locked. This method requires some practice as you have to take the safety off before shooting. The recoil is minimal and the trigger is light, which makes it easy to shoot accurately. Sig quality and finish. I'm looking at getting another one for myself for summer carry, I steal hers when we're together and I don't feel like hauling around my .45 1911 compact.

The P938 is awesome. I have two of them.

Sig P938 bi-tone.jpg

Here is a thread on the P938 with some links to other threads: What do you think of the P938?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Interested in Sig Sauer P238

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    You don't let the hammer down. Load the weapon, rack the slide, and engage the safety. Gun is now ready to carry. To clear it, remove the magazine, release the safety, and rack the slide to remove the chambered round. Gun is now clear and can by dry fired to lower the hammer.

I like the 238s. I just picked the Scorpion model up. As always with SIGs, well made guns.
    You don't have to take the safety off to rack the slide.

I can't offer much more than has already been said; I own both a P239 & a P938 and love them both. Totally concur with the 238 being the most comfortable & accurate .380 I've ever shot. Just got the 938 and only (50) rds. fired with no problems. Will be my EDC when fully broken in.

I love the P238. It's my carry when I can't conceal my G27 or I just want something light and easy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links