Defensive Carry banner

Interested in Sig Sauer P238

10K views 33 replies 28 participants last post by  mdrums 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I recently held a Sig Sauer P238 and it fit perfectly in my hand. The only thing that worries me is that they are single action and it makes me nervous to think about pulling back the hammer and letting it down softly without dropping it. My boyfriend is a bit worried because this will be either my first gun or one of my first guns (still liking the Ruger LCP a lot, although I like the weight of the Sig Sauer). I'm sure that it just gets easier and easier with practice. Any advice or opinions on this? Also, held the Walther PPK s and it fit my hand surprisingly better than I thought it would. Any advice on that gun is appreciated too. Thanks, everyone!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::embarassed:

#2 ·
You don't let the hammer down. Load the weapon, rack the slide, and engage the safety. Gun is now ready to carry. To clear it, remove the magazine, release the safety, and rack the slide to remove the chambered round. Gun is now clear and can by dry fired to lower the hammer.

I like the 238s. I just picked the Scorpion model up. As always with SIGs, well made guns.

#3 ·
You don't let the hammer down. Load the weapon, rack the slide, and engage the safety. Gun is now ready to carry. To clear it, remove the magazine, release the safety, and rack the slide to remove the chambered round. Gun is now clear and can by dry fired to lower the hammer.
This would be my answer as well. I'm surprised your boyfriend didn't tell you that.

Also look at the P938 since it's basically the same thing but in 9mm.

#4 ·
I looked at the p938 last week at a lgs. I really liked it. I'm just a little uneasy myself carrying cocked and locked, so is my wife. I showed it to her and when I explained it to her she said "no way" for herself. I geuss maybe its just our revolver mentality we need to overcome.:smile

Do you have to carry cocked and lock or is there another way?

#5 ·
There's no need to disengage the safety on a P238 to clear the weapon. As long as the hammer is back, you can cycle the slide with the safety on.
So.. to load, make sure the hammer is back, safety engaged... insert magazine and cycle slide. You're now at condition one (cocked and locked).
To unload, remove the magazine, cycle the slide to extract and eject the chambered round (rinse and repeat a few times for good measure)... all while the safety is still engaged.

The P238 (and 938) are very safe weapons when used as designed. They're also far more enjoyable to shoot than the other subcompact pistols that are common (LCP, BG380, etc).

Reactions: MrsHB and Diddle
#16 ·
The P238 (and 938) are very safe weapons when used as designed. They're also far more enjoyable to shoot than the other subcompact pistols that are common (LCP, BG380, etc).
I could not agree more. The slide operation P238 (and I assume the 938) is as smooth as silk and no where near as stiff as the LCP and I have both. I remember when the P238 could be had for just under $500.00. Today you are lucky to find one in the $600.00 range.

#9 ·
You don't actually release the hammer... it's designed to be carried with the hammer cocked and the safety engaged.

Here's our "his and hers" P238's in their natural state... locked and loaded:

Reactions: NEWTOTHIS68
#8 ·
Being new to guns myself, I understand your hesitation. Hence the need for practice! (Fun!!) I have the P238 and love it! I just took my CCDW class, so the wait is on, but I don't anticipate carrying my gun cocked and locked at first. Obviously, that would make the gun the most ready to shoot. But apparently there are techniques for drawing and racking the slide quickly- something I'd like to become good at.

I absolutely agree with Whoppo on them being enjoyable to shoot. If you haven't shot one, you should. The difference between the P238 (Yay.) and the Ruger LCP (Boo.) is remarkable. IMHO, of course.

#10 ·
Mrs. Whoppo carried hers "cocked and locked" without a round in the chamber for a few months... long enough for her to become comfortable that the safety wasn't going to disengage itself and the hammer wasn't going to drop by itself. Everyone has a different level of comfort with new firearms, especially if it's a type they've not carried before. It's perfectly acceptable to carry C&L on an empty chamber for a while to reach your own level of comfort, but I'm a firm believer in being able to draw from concealment and fire on target in one smooth action and if need be, with one hand.

The P238 is a superb pistol and arguably the top of the heap for .380 pistols.... we like ours very much and shoot them regularly.

#13 ·
Right! Don't go lowering the hammer! To clear the weapon you drop the mag and pull back on the slide to clear the chamber. Don't go messing with the trigger and hammer. It is meant to be carried with the hammer back, ready to fire on single action.

It's a great gun by the way. I have a buddy who has one and it shoots like a dream. It is very, very accurate for a little gun like that. I am currently saving up for its 9mm big brother, the p938.

It sounds like you might be more comfortable with something either with a decocker, or a small double action. The p290 might suit you.

Best wishes and stay safe!

#14 ·
Two things about the P238. First, I wouldn't get too hung up about the "single action" nature of the trigger. While technically a single action, the trigger pull is heavier than, say, the 1911 on which it is styled. The trigger pull is nearly as heavy as the LCP, yet is a "shorter" pull. As long as the thumb safety is on (even, I dare say, if it is accidentally "off"), the trigger is not going to accidentally "go off" in your holster.

Second, I will echo others' advice on "dropping the hammer." There is absolutely NO need to "decock" the P238. In fact, to do so is against the way the pistol is designed to function. "Cocked and locked" (or Condition 1, as it is commonly referred) is exactly the way the P238 is meant to be carried. It is perfectly safe; in fact, much safer than attempting to "lower the hammer" on a live round. Now that would be asking for a very bad accident. I would say the less manipulation of the pistol the better. In other words: load the magazine, rack the slide, flip up the safety to "on," place in holster, and done.

Also, your thought about the weight of the P238 is spot on. Its heavier weight soaks up the recoil, making it a relatively "soft" shooter compared to the LCP. The PPK/S is also heavier. I only have experience with the LCP and P238, but all three of your choices are well regarded and popular. It just boils down to personal preference. They all have their place and advantages (and disadvantages). Only YOU can make the final decision based on your needs. Good luck.

Reactions: DaveInEdmonds
#15 ·
My wife bought one a couple of months ago and loves it! She still likes her PX4 Strorm in .40S&W, but loves her P238.:yup: Since I carry a full size 1911, I'm actually thinking of getting a P238 for myself for summer carry when I'm wearing shorts and a tank-top and can't easily conceal the 1911.

#18 ·
I will simply echo what others have said. Great little guns practice and train with them until you feel comfortable then have at it.

Lory carries this one around the house a lot.

#20 ·
Here's another vote for the P238. My wife has one and loves it. I like it so much that I bought a P938 for my carry gun.

I went shooting today. Mondays are "ladies day" at my range and I was sharing the bay with three women. They all shot my 938 and two of them asked for the particulars as they wanted to look at one for themselves. One had a Bodyguard that she doesn't enjoy shooting and the other was renting a LCR, thinking she might want one.

#22 ·
Revolver mentality, the revolver when cocked has a light trigger but the P238 has a fairly heavy trigger even when cocked about the same as my S&W Airweight in double action (though a shorter pull) AND it has a reliable safety. For revolver mentality, that safety takes a little practice to get it off as you are drawing the weapon. I was very used to the Airweight and when I started with the P238, that was my biggest hangup. Now I prefer to carry the P238 because it is so easy to carry and doesn't print hardly at all.

#23 ·
I have a P238 and love it. It took me a while to get used to carrying cocked and locked. I kept having visions of it going off in my bellyband while running. However, I forced myself to get over this fear mainly because this time of year, it's cold, I'm usually wearing gloves AND I have a hold of my dog's leash when out running. There's no way I would I have time or the dexterity to draw, rack the slide and then pull trigger if my life was ever threatened by an attacker. So, I practiced a ton (dry fire at home and live at the range) loading it, chambering a round, clicking the safety on, then removing the magazine and clearing the chambered round with the safety still on. Did this over and over until I was completely comfortable with the process. It's been my primary carry, cocked and locked, every since.

#24 ·
Sig P238 and Walther PPK

You asked about the Sig P238 vs. the Walther PPK. I have two .380 pistols, a Walther PPK I've had for 15 years, and a P238 I just got 4 months ago. I like both guns, and have used them as backup to larger guns, or as a primary gun when concealment was important. I always liked the PPK for its ergonomics and accuracy, although I didn't like the first double action trigger pull, which is quite heavy. The subsequent single action trigger on the PPK is excellent, however.

The Sig P238 is a superior gun to the PPK in several ways, I think. It is a little smaller and lighter weight because of its aluminum frame, hence easier to carry and conceal. It has a consistent single action trigger on every shot, night sights, low recoil and ease of racking the slide compared to the Walther. You can also carry the P238 easily in your pocket, which is difficult with the all steel PPK because of its weight.

#25 ·
My wife loves the P238 but its not for novice shooters. The LCP has a longer trigger pull and poor sights so it seems harder to shoot accurately. I would suggest starting with a light weight revolver such as the LCR but practice with the Sig at the range and for home defense until you are comfortable. There is no need to ever cock the hammer with your thumb or let it down slowly on a live round.

#26 ·
I own a P238 that my wife stole from me to carry. They are based off of a 1911 platform and are designed to be carried cocked and locked. This method requires some practice as you have to take the safety off before shooting. The recoil is minimal and the trigger is light, which makes it easy to shoot accurately. Sig quality and finish. I'm looking at getting another one for myself for summer carry, I steal hers when we're together and I don't feel like hauling around my .45 1911 compact.

#29 ·
I can't offer much more than has already been said; I own both a P239 & a P938 and love them both. Totally concur with the 238 being the most comfortable & accurate .380 I've ever shot. Just got the 938 and only (50) rds. fired with no problems. Will be my EDC when fully broken in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.