Ruger LC380

Ruger LC380

This is a discussion on Ruger LC380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone has shot the new Ruger LC380? The wife and I are looking to get her first handgun and she really ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ruger LC380

Ruger LC380

I was wondering if anyone has shot the new Ruger LC380? The wife and I are looking to get her first handgun and she really likes the feel of the Ruger LC9 but wants something with a little less recoil. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. We are probably looking to spend under $500.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I don't have the LC380 (I have the lcp) but........the LC380 looks to be about the same frame as the LC9 which I do have and love it. Just be sure your wife can be comfortable with the DA trigger....If you are not used to it, it takes a little time and practice to become proficient with it .... but it should be a good choice for her.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

From what I heard the LC380 and the LC9 are built on the same frame. I wish we had a range nearby that rented guns so we could try a few out. I'd like to get her to make sure she likes the DA trigger before we decide.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

Ruger LC380

I own the LC9 and was able to shoot the LC380 at a recent trade show. The LC380 is exactly the same frame as the LC9, but has a little bit less recoil, and the slide is easier to rack. It will be a popular gun this year.

I wonder how hard it will be to get one.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

That will probably depend on how your local gun stores view the product offering, I would call around and ask if they will be stocking this weapon and how soon.....or ask them if they are not, will they order one for you...but before you have them order one be sure again that is the weapon of choice for your wife....and that may be difficult to determine now as the gun is new.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Thumbs up Just purchased one for my wife

Just wanted to throw in my $.02.

My wife loves her new LC380.

I have the LC9, and my wife liked the design and conceal-ability of it, but she didn't like the recoil. The first time she shot the LC380 she was in love with it. It is exactly what she was looking for.

I think it fits perfectly in the gap between the .380 pocket pistols and the small 9mm pistols. We can spend an hour at the range without it killing her hand and wrist, and it can be easily tucked into a pocket or concealed IWB.

It looks like it is built on the same frame as my LC9, it even uses the same magazine (except they added a spacer to the inside to accommodate the shorter round.

Randy
    cdr.dsmith81 and Smarshe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyLC9 View Post
    Just wanted to throw in my $.02.

My wife loves her new LC380.

I have the LC9, and my wife liked the design and conceal-ability of it, but she didn't like the recoil. The first time she shot the LC380 she was in love with it. It is exactly what she was looking for.

I think it fits perfectly in the gap between the .380 pocket pistols and the small 9mm pistols. We can spend an hour at the range without it killing her hand and wrist, and it can be easily tucked into a pocket or concealed IWB.

It looks like it is built on the same frame as my LC9, it even uses the same magazine (except they added a spacer to the inside to accommodate the shorter round.

Randy
    Thanks for the info! I'm really hoping the release it with the crimson trace laser like they have on the LC9. The wife has decided that she must have a laser on it.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

I have the Laserlyte Side Mount Laser on my LC9, and she seems to like that, so that is probably what I will get for the LC380 (if she decides she wants a laser).

It adds a little thickness to the gun, but I don't have to look for a special holster to accommodate it.
    ClutchSR9C likes this.

I just acquired a Ruger LCP in 380 flavor. I bought it used and it also has a laser on it. I purchased it mainly for the grandudes so they'll stop whining about me only letting them shoot my .22's. I shot it today (got it this morning) and think they are gonna like it. PLUS -- the laser will make it ever so much cooler!

Question: What do those who own one of these tiny pistols do with it, or think of it? It is so small. My hands kinda swallow it up. I can shoot it alright (need to sight-in the laser) but it's so small! I got a pocket holster for it, but I don't really know how I feel about carrying this gun cocked. I carry Glocks cocked but for some reason, I don't feel as confident in having this baby loaded-and-ready for some reason.

Do I have a point? Is it just mental? What do others do with there tiny little Ruger LCPs?
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    I just acquired a Ruger LCP in 380 flavor. I bought it used and it also has a laser on it. I purchased it mainly for the grandudes so they'll stop whining about me only letting them shoot my .22's. I shot it today (got it this morning) and think they are gonna like it. PLUS -- the laser will make it ever so much cooler!

Question: What do those who own one of these tiny pistols do with it, or think of it? It is so small. My hands kinda swallow it up. I can shoot it alright (need to sight-in the laser) but it's so small! I got a pocket holster for it, but I don't really know how I feel about carrying this gun cocked. I carry Glocks cocked but for some reason, I don't feel as confident in having this baby loaded-and-ready for some reason.

Do I have a point? Is it just mental? What do others do with there tiny little Ruger LCPs?
    Carry mine round chambered..in either a pocket holster or iwb holster with trigger covered. even so with the trigger on this weapon there is a stop point about 1/2 way back then you have to pull totally to the rear to fire so I'm not afraid of it at all. It has about a 8.5 lb trigger pull if I remember correctly so IMO a accidental discharge while not totally impossible highly unlikely.

Never seen one but what about the pico

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Never seen one but what about the pico

LCP 380 lcp.jpg new design LC380 (same frame as LC9) lc380.jpg
    Kennydale and Broadus like this.

When I carry the LCP its in a cheap $20 DeSantis pocket holster, racked and ready. I have no concern at all that it will fire accidentally. The main reason I use the holster is to keep pocket lint out of the barrel.

The LC9 is larger and heavier. I have an IWB clip holster that works well and a DeSantis Superfly pocket holster. I may order a Tueller but I have a Tueller delivering next Tuesday for my Sr9c so I'm going to try it out before I decide to buy a second.

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchSR9C View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has shot the new Ruger LC380? The wife and I are looking to get her first handgun and she really likes the feel of the Ruger LC9 but wants something with a little less recoil. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. We are probably looking to spend under $500.
    I would get a LC9, and find weaker ammo. It's the same concept of a .357 vs. a .38. With the LC380, you are limited to the .380, but with the LC9, by the time she has the first 250 rds through it, she will probably ready to step up to some harder stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post

One in the pipe, in my pocket, in a Desantis Super Fly. The trigger pull is so long and heavy, I wouldn't sweat it if you're using a good holster. I have huge hands, and the gun does tend to vanish in my hand, but it is a "is what it is" gun. It is a pocket(for most), get the heck off me gun. It is what it is. My favorite .380.
    Something witty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links