Help deciding next pistol

This is a discussion on Help deciding next pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been perusing the forum the last few days and thinking about my next handgun for the past month. Here are my thoughts and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help deciding next pistol

I have been perusing the forum the last few days and thinking about my next handgun for the past month. Here are my thoughts and concerns.
    I have been considering a 9mm compact (my hands are too big for a subcompact) for eventual concealed carry. I currently own a Springfield XD full size, but I would be a little concerned to carry that cocked as there's no manual safety or long DA pull to lessen chances of a discharge. Yes I know there's the grip safety, but that would most likely be depressed when holstering the gun. Also, I want another pistol so I might as well get one that's smaller and more concealable.
    I have looked at and fired the Sig p239 but it is heavy for a compact, although it does have the safety and DA/SA ability a Springfield or glock lacks.
    Other than those mentioned, what else is a good option? Reliability is most important followed by concealability, and then cost.
    Lastly, I am more interested in a higher capacity pistol vs 1911 or revolver because Maryland may have a future magazine size limit.
    I appreciate the feedback.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I carry the S&W M&P 9c. Good solid compact that is comfortable and conceals easily on my frame (I'm 6' and about 190 lbs). I do not have a manual safety but I'm certain that is an option. This gun has fired everything I've put through it and has done so flawlessly. But I must say that I've heard from others, even some who have the 9c that the S&W Shield is a great little pistol. Just my 2 cents.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I second the M&P. Reliable, concealable, affordable. The M&Pc and Shield are both ones you should look into. The shield comes with a thumb safety I believe, they might be very hard to find at the moment tho. I think the M&Pc can come with or without the thumb safety, at least that's how the full size version is.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

You should stick with the XD IMO because you are familiar with it. Just get the compact version. You should get comfortable with the safety systems used on the firearm because there are safeties internally that prevent the striker from moving unless you physically pull the trigger back. When you holster look at what you're doing once it's in the holster, the trigger is covered and cannot be activated.

If Maryland enacts magazine size limits, what makes you think they would allow you to carry 15 rounds if they have the limit of say 7 like NY? They would be illegal.
    Exacto likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    I carry the S&W M&P 9c. Good solid compact that is comfortable and conceals easily on my frame (I'm 6' and about 190 lbs). I do not have a manual safety but I'm certain that is an option. This gun has fired everything I've put through it and has done so flawlessly. But I must say that I've heard from others, even some who have the 9c that the S&W Shield is a great little pistol. Just my 2 cents.
    +1 here to. I have the 9c and love it. Small light wieght and good capacity. And can use the full size m&p mags. And the 9c is availible with a thumb safety if that makes you more comfy carrying.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I Know guys with big mits that really like the Beretta M9.

Sigs are just plain Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    You should stick with the XD IMO because you are familiar with it. Just get the compact version. You should get comfortable with the safety systems used on the firearm because there are safeties internally that prevent the striker from moving unless you physically pull the trigger back. When you holster look at what you're doing once it's in the holster, the trigger is covered and cannot be activated.

If Maryland enacts magazine size limits, what makes you think they would allow you to carry 15 rounds if they have the limit of say 7 like NY? They would be illegal.
    My guess/hope is that possessed mags would be grandfathered in.

I have an XDm 9c (wife commandeered it) and I holster it with my thumb on the back of the slide and without depressing the grip safety. It is very easy to do with a little practice and makes holstering safer than a glock or PPQ IMHO. That being said I now want to add a G19 or a PPQ to the collection.

Now I carry a CZ P-01 or a Walther P99... at least until my next fishing trip. Boating accidents happen.
    Last edited by Mjr_Fail; January 29th, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

I have had two M&P9c's and loved them both. I have standardized on .40 cal so I now have an M&P40c too. Great little gun, but so is the Glock 26 or 27. But if you MUST have a thumb safety they Glock doesn't have the option for one. I'd challenge you to find a safer gun all around than a Glock though.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I also suggest the Beretta PX4 Compact. Reliable, accurate and fun to shoot!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Ruger SR9c if 9mm is your flavor. Comes with a 10 round flush and 17 round mag in the box.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I'm gonna carry a double barrel shotgun just like Joe Biteme said to.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

the size of your hands is irrelevant when choosing a concealed carry handgun. What is relevant is choosing a gun small enough to carry every day 24/7, 365, and one that
    will get the job done if you ever have to use it for self defense. Choosing a larger gun many times means you will end up leaving it at home or locked in your car.....at a time
    when you really need to have a gun.....any gun. Learning to grip the small subcompacts correctly so that you can shoot them well is something that is uncomfortable for the
    inexperienced shooter. I bought my first Glock 26 in 1995 just after the first AWB of 1994 was passed limiting magazine capacity to 10 rounds. I practiced a lot to get
    comfortable finding the proper grip for me to handle the tiny little gun with the short, stubby grip. Today I shoot the Glock 26 better than any of my other full size or mid size
    Glocks. It just feels naturally to me to wrap my pinky under the grip with only two fingers actually on the grip.

Any of the subcompacts would do the trick for a carry gun: M&P 9 or 40 C, XD 9 or 40SC, Glock 26 or 27. All three of these are time tested handguns, and you will be hard pressed to find
    anything better outside of this group. Once you have mastered one of these smaller guns.....on to the reallllllllllly small hand cannons like the Kahr CM9 or Keltec PF-9. Before you're done here
    we'll have you concealing a gun in your Speedo while at the beach.

Glock 26 with standard 10 round mag.

Gripping the G26 with my pinky locked under the grip (others may have different styles and grips...this works for me)

Kahr CM9....yes, you can almost hide this in your bathing suit at the beach.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Thanks for the input. I'm less daunted by the idea of choosing and more excited about the options. It would be much easier to get several. Trick is convincing the gf it's not a waste of money...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links