M&P9: Apex trigger worth adding?

This is a discussion on M&P9: Apex trigger worth adding? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have the Apex DCAEK kit and RAM on order and was wondering if adding their aluminum trigger was worth adding to the package. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 1 Post By ACS_Matt

Thread: M&P9: Apex trigger worth adding?

I currently have the Apex DCAEK kit and RAM on order and was wondering if adding their aluminum trigger was worth adding to the package. Anyone have the trigger installed?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

I've been carrying an M&P9 with the Apex trigger for the past 8 or 9 months both at home and work. The trigger is great. There's very little pre or over-travel and it's very clean. They're supposed to have a polymer version coming soon as well.

Now, I just picked up a new M&P9 with a test fire date of 12-06-12 and the trigger is much improved over the older ones. It breaks considerably cleaner and the reset is more tactile. The new model has an assist nub on the slide catch that pushes against the trigger bar, aiding in reset. Now, the trigger kind of springs forward with a solid reset where before it just lightly moved forward.

Honestly, as much as I like the Apex components, I'm very satisfied with the newest M&P trigger.
    Remy and Goat_Herder like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    We have a M&P9C so its a DA trigger pull . Not the short reset model. But still the same kit works in both. If you M&P is the last version and has a lock or sfatey it will not except the RAM. Send it back. Its in the fine print on the advertizing . But the DCEAEK is buy far worth it. Now if you leave the stock trigger return spring trigger pull will be in the upper 3lb or lower 4 lb range. very nice. With the replacement trigger spring it will be 5,5lbs and then to me only the stricker block and spring is worth buying.

With the 5 pound pull, the trigger is considerably better. Weight has less to do with a good trigger than a crisp break and the movement does. For me at least. Light can be just as bad if not done right.

Also, the RAM is kind of a waste if you ask me. Reset is nice, but not needed. It helps in dry fire or for slow fire I guess, but I shoot just as well with or without a noticeable reset. i do like the newest models as of the past few months, where the reset pushes forward, similar to Glock, but not as strong.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I have to agree with jonconsiglio. I have an M&P 45 from 2009 that had a bad trigger, so I dropped the Apex kit in. It made a HUGE difference. I bought a M&P 9c about 3 months ago and the trigger was considerably better than my 45. I think I will leave the 9c alone.
    Remy likes this.

My new M&P40c (2 weeks old) has a MUCH better trigger than the M&P9c I bought a year ago. But I am still getting the RAM. Don't really want to lighten up the trigger with the other Apex stuff but hear very good things.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I'll third (or is it fourth) that the new M&P trigger is great. The APEX upgrade isn't necessary, but it will be a slight improvement if you have the money.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

I have an older M&P9 FS with magazine disconnect. I am already have my mind set on the DCAEK kit and RAM, but was wondering if the AEK aluminum trigger was worth it.
    Last edited by oBMTo; January 30th, 2013 at 08:33 AM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by oBMTo View Post
    I have an older M&P9 FS with magazine disconnect. I am already have my mine set on the DCAEK kit and RAM, but was wondering if the AEK aluminum trigger was worth it.
    I'd say no, unless you're competing and can really take advantage of the slight improvement
    "Just blame Sixto"

The original m&p trigger was like squeezing a sponge. Doable but it was not a nice trigger. I put an apex in my m&p 40 and it was awesome !

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    smolck If your new m&p9c has an internal lock you can NOT add the RAM to that handgun. So check before spending the money on the ram. Read the fine print in there info sheet. Atleast not with out changeing out the rear block.

I think the compacts trigger stinks new. very rought pull. Weight is not that bad . But the apex kit sure mack a change. I would never say a DA type trigger pull is crisp but sue is manageable. The stricker block spring change makes the biggest improvement but keeps the pull weight about the same as stock.

I have installed the APEX 45 Fully Machined Sear (Hard Sear), the Apex Ultimate Striker Block for M&P Pistols, and the AEK Trigger on my 45ACP Compact. They turned this pistol into a first class defensive handgun. The AEK trigger is outstanding, wouldn't ever go back to the hinged original trigger.

The APEX kit IS a big improvement over the "older" version of M&P pistols. With the introduction of the Shield, S&W is planning on carrying over the new trigger in the Shield over to other M&P pistols. It should be an improvement. I have not tried out the new trigger to tell you how good it is or whether or not the APEX is worth the money.

Sponsored Links