1st CCW

This is a discussion on 1st CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to get my CHL this year and purchase a good handgun for carrying daily. I own a Springfield XDm 9mm 4.5", and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1st CCW

1st CCW

I am looking to get my CHL this year and purchase a good handgun for carrying daily.

I own a Springfield XDm 9mm 4.5", and like it a lot, but consider it too big to carry.

My workplace is non-permissive, so concealed means concealed. I wear a shirt and tie, but not a jacket at work, so I was thinking a Smart Carry or a tuckable holster, probably appendix, as I bend down to pick things up frequently at work.

I am 5'10" and 165lbs, reasonably fit, only a little belly fat.

I'm considering
    1) Springfield XDs, either 9mm or .45
    2) M&P Shield
    3) Sig P239 SAS gen2
    4) Ruger LCR

The only one I've actually shot is the LCR, and I did fine, but didn't love my accuracy with it.
    I've held the XDs and the P239, and both fit my hand fine.
    I've not held nor shot the Shield.

Assuming I could find all of these for sale in my area in the future, which would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Remove Ads

It's not on your list, but I just picked up the XD .40 subcompact, and absolutely love it. It's the perfect blend between the Glock 23 and the Glock 27. Not as snappy as the 27, but smaller than the 23. Quite a bit smaller than the XD series as well. Moreover, it's a doublestack instead of singlestack like the XDs. So I'm carrying 9+1 and an extra clip that's 12+1.

Don't want to open up any caliber wars here, but the .40 is fits very well between the 9mm and the .45 when it comes to stopping power. With the right defense ammo, the .40 has a one shot stop percentage that is the same as the .45 (96% if I remember the charts right - based on actual police data).

So I'd give the XD40 subcompact a good look as well.

As for carrying - if you are wearing a button down shirt, you might want to look at the concealment underwear t-shirt. It's expensive, but I think it just might fit the bill for you.

You may get lucky and get a Shield well before you find an XDs 9. The XDs 9 might not be out until this summer. With that being said, I am going to forego the Shield and wait for the XDs. I currently have a Glock 19 and like it.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    It's not on your list, but I just picked up the XD .40 subcompact, and absolutely love it. It's the perfect blend between the Glock 23 and the Glock 27. Not as snappy as the 27, but smaller than the 23. Quite a bit smaller than the XD series as well. Moreover, it's a doublestack instead of singlestack like the XDs. So I'm carrying 9+1 and an extra clip that's 12+1.

Don't want to open up any caliber wars here, but the .40 is fits very well between the 9mm and the .45 when it comes to stopping power. With the right defense ammo, the .40 has a one shot stop percentage that is the same as the .45 (96% if I remember the charts right - based on actual police data).

So I'd give the XD40 subcompact a good look as well.

As for carrying - if you are wearing a button down shirt, you might want to look at the concealment underwear t-shirt. It's expensive, but I think it just might fit the bill for you.
    Will concealment undershirts hold a double stack like the XD40 subcompact? Do you know if a Smart Carry or similar would?

I would suggest carrying the XDm you have. I have the XD 9 service model (4" barrel) with a CB supertuck and carry it everyday with tucked T-Shirt and shorts. See how it works for you. while you are carrying it, you can evaluate whether it is "too big" while shopping around and shooting various smaller guns to see what you like best. That was what I did and after carrying the XD9, I decided that I did not want to carry a smaller gun and the mid size frame was just fine for EDC.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I'd go with a shield. I haven't held one but a lot of people like them so it must be good.

Senior Moderator
    Snubnose revolvers take practice to shoot well.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I like the S&W Shield if you can find one. I had a Sig 239 and it was a great gun, but, I found it to be a bit heavy for a gun that only carried 7 or 8 rounds, and as much as I wanted to love it...I just couldn't. Ended up trading it.

I would add the Walther PPS to your list. It's a fine gun and easy to carry. It's a little gun that shoots like a big one. I've also read (no first hand experience) that the Beretta Nano is a good firearm and it even works for pocket carry.

I love my LC9 but a good # of people complain about the trigger being too long. I really don't care what kind of trigger a gun has as long as it works every time you squeeze it!

I'll add the PPS to my list. I tried the Nano, but it was too small for my hand.

VIP Member
    I'd recommend shooting as many on your list that you can, then make your decision based on that.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sly

Thumbs up

I highly recommend the XDS with the N82 pro holster.

For your situation, expecially if you plan on carrying where concealment is a major factor, carrying your full size xdm is going to present challenges. Out of the options you listed I would look at the XDs. Otherwise my second vote goes to the LCR. Snubbies do take some practice to be proficient with though.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Shield or the m&p9c. Not much bigger than the shield and holds more rounds. And the 9c probably can be found easier.

If I was you I would add a Glock 26 to your list.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

1st CCW

I love the Sig 239 but they're pretty big and heavy for the payload they offer. many guns about the same size and loaded weight have nearly twice the capacity. they're sweet shooters though.

think about what you want (or don't want) and try them out. size, weight, dimensions, DA/SA, DAO, SA, striker, rail, capacity, safety features, sights, and so on. the presence of external safeties, mag disconnects, and internal locks would knock a few of those guns off that list for me but it's not my list. it's yours. buy the features you think are important and be happy with it.

have a look at CZ, Glock, H&K, and Kahr to name a few others also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links