Anyone else prefer metal guns over polymer?

This is a discussion on Anyone else prefer metal guns over polymer? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do! I do! Steel guns specifically. Only a single ratty Kel Tec P3AT serves as an example of the plastic tribe here. I'm not ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Anyone else prefer metal guns over polymer?

I do! I do!

Steel guns specifically.

Only a single ratty Kel Tec P3AT serves as an example of the plastic tribe here.

I'm not even too keen on the aluminum alloy in the frame of the Smith & Wesson Model 642, the upper and the lower of the Colt AR15, and the trigger guard of the Ruger 77V and those are the only firearms around here featuring aluminum alloy components.

I think it's the result of an allergy to plastic and aluminum.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I prefer a metal gun, although I do have a poly that I usually carry on work days. Not because it is better, just less weight on the belt.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

No yo are not that far from mars.....I also love steel guns

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have both, and I enjoy both. I don't thiink I would sell either to get the other.
    OD* likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I like both. But lets say you were fighting your way home and you had a full size colt 45 semi auto and a Glock 45 and you dropped one and didn't realize it till you got away. Which one would you got back after? The Glock or the Colt? Dumb question but I know which one I'd consider going back after.
    R
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

to each his own lf lt works i like it.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

I like both but my favorite is my CZ P-01. All metal and not much heavier than the polymer guns.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

I have both types and like both types for different reasons.

All 3 of my current guns are all metal and I wouldn't have it any other way

Just love the feel of steel have a kahr pm45 if they would make an mk 45 all steel would buy it in a heart beat. My other 2 guns AMT backup .45, and a masterpiece arms .380 are all steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall757 View Post
    I like both. But lets say you were fighting your way home and you had a full size colt 45 semi auto and a Glock 45 and you dropped one and didn't realize it till you got away. Which one would you got back after? The Glock or the Colt? Dumb question but I know which one I'd consider going back after.
    R
    Hah! What a scenario!

I'm afraid that if I was fighting my way home and dropped a .45 automatic pistol then it be a 1911 type for there aren't any Glock 45s on premises. It'd just have to stay "dropped" too as I won't be wanting to fight my way back to it, once having successfully gained home. I'd have to grab one of the other 1911 .45 automatics to go with the rifle I'd surely be wielding by this time.

Long as we're imagining this scenario, I might go for a .41, .44, or .45 caliber revolver instead. Who knows?!
    Eric357 and msgt/ret like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have no problem with steel or polymer guns. As long as they go bang when I pull the trigger and have reasonable accuracy Im happy.
    OD* likes this.

its really hard to get emotional about my Glocks, M&P's, XD's, Kahrs or my other polymer framed pistols. They are lightweight tools that are well suited for the job and
    ease the burden of carrying a gun 24/7. Their obvious mass productions shows in every weapon and leaves little to get you excited.

....but I just get all school girl giddy when I'm holding a 1911, Browning Hi-Power, or a S&W Model 19. Maybe its the steel....maybe its the craftsmanship you see in the
    all metal guns that makes them special. Also, the direction of the firearms industry is moving towards polymer pistols for cost reasons, and holding a metal gun reminds us
    that time just keeps marching on, and some day they will go the way of the Ford Pinto. Hard to imagine a world without a real Browning Hi-Power...but its coming.

Enjoy them while you still can.
    smolck and msgt/ret like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Used to carry all steel 1911's, but man when you do 10+ hours of carry, you thank the Lord that polymer guns are available. There is no right or wrong in guns, just preference.
    OD* likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    What is this metal you speak of?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links