Switch from Smith 638 to Bersa Thunder+ for CC?

This is a discussion on Switch from Smith 638 to Bersa Thunder+ for CC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Smith & Wesson 638 snub nose 38 special +P that I intend to use for concealed carry, but am thinking about switching ...

Thread: Switch from Smith 638 to Bersa Thunder+ for CC?

Unhappy Switch from Smith 638 to Bersa Thunder+ for CC?

I have a Smith & Wesson 638 snub nose 38 special +P that I intend to use for concealed carry, but am thinking about switching to a Bersa Thunder Plus in 380. I bought the 638 for myself before I bought a Ruger LCP 380 for my wife. She and will both be getting our CC license. The main reason I'm considering changing is that I reload and it sure would keep things much simpler if we were both shooting the same caliber. We will normally carry with factory ammo, but I like to reload and hopefully doing so will lower the cost of practice at the range.

I have handled a Bersa Thunder and absolutely love the way the gun feels and handles. Although I haven't handled the Thunder +, the Bersa site shows negligable difference between the two size/weight wise.

As far as size/weight goes between the Thunder+ & the 638, there is still not a whole lot of difference between the two, with the biggest difference being an additional 5.4Oz of weight and additional 1/2" in height for the Bersa. I do not consider this a show stopper.

The barrel length edge goes to the Thunder+ 3.5" barrel vs the Smith's 1 7/8"; however, at defensive ranges I don't know that this makes much difference.

I've read an awful lot of reviews on the Bersa Thunder and they all seem to be overwelmingly positive. So, "to me", it seems that this decision kind of boils down to the difference in defensive effectiveness of 5 shots .38 special +P vs 15+1 shots .380 and the 100% relibility of the wheel gun vs that of the Thunder?

It seems that most everyone ranks the 38 Special and 380 low as far as defensive carry calibers are concerned; however, I would appreciate your thoughts on this proposed switch. Have I overlooked anything? Anyone have experience with the Thunder or Thunder + from a reliability standpoint? Any "downsides" to this switch? Between these two, which would "YOU" pick and what would base your decision on?

Thanks for your help!
    firstshot

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I like the Bersa and the .380 gives up some power to the .38 spl +P but not to much out of a short barrel.

For me the .380 is the bottom of concealed carry calibers but it is still very effective, especially if you train with it.

As for you and your wife using the same ammo....that's a major plus. It's cheaper to buy in bulk
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have one of the older model Thunder 9UC and it is awesome! Not awesome for the price, just plain awesome. You will not be disappointed.
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

What do you guys think about switching from 5 shots of .38 special +P to 15+1 shots of .380?

firstshot

Links