Thoughts & Opinions Wanted! - Page 2

Thoughts & Opinions Wanted!

This is a discussion on Thoughts & Opinions Wanted! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I vote for either the Beretta or the Springfield. Both are good guns to learn with. I wouldn't spend more than $700 on your fist ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Thoughts & Opinions Wanted!

I vote for either the Beretta or the Springfield. Both are good guns to learn with.

I wouldn't spend more than $700 on your fist pistol.

My recommendation is to buy a quality firearm that will maintain some resale value, shoot the crap out of it, and learn what it is that you like and dislike about the gun. The world of firearms is full of options because each one of us has different tastes.

If you decide you don't like your first purchase, just know that you can sell it and buy something new. Heck even if you love it, chances are, you will probably end up buying a new gun just because guns are awesome. :)

I would be a little scared right now with the xds. I am a springfield guy but there have been a fair number of issues on the springfield site about issues. Now I know there are a lot of people who have no issues whatsoever but, for your first gun I would wait a while on the xds until all the bugs are worked out. I would consider a springfield 1911 frankly, Hard to beat the lifetime warranty also. For your price range, I would look at the TRP. Nothing but good things said about them. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilinswordsman View Post
    I vote for either the Beretta or the Springfield. Both are good guns to learn with.

I wouldn't spend more than $700 on your fist pistol.

My recommendation is to buy a quality firearm that will maintain some resale value, shoot the crap out of it, and learn what it is that you like and dislike about the gun. The world of firearms is full of options because each one of us has different tastes.

If you decide you don't like your first purchase, just know that you can sell it and buy something new. Heck even if you love it, chances are, you will probably end up buying a new gun just because guns are awesome. :)
    Agree. We have some pretty decent hand guns here and the one that we shoot most is a $300.00 Ruger .22!

$1,500.00 to us is 3 nice $500.00 guns. Or at least 2 very nice including ammo and range time.

It's kinda like asking us what car you should buy. Every gun has features that you can learn to live with, or without. So decide what is important to you. Some like single action triggers some like double/single, others DAO. Some prefer concealment over capacity. Do you want an external safety? Do you want lots of small bullets or a few big ones? Do you want a light gun with more recoil or a heavier one with less recoil. Do you want one gun that will do everything, or will you have a house and a carry gun?
    So many choices that only you can make.
    Eric357 likes this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    You sir........ (as I chuckle) have mistakenly forgotten to add a glock to your list. lol With that budget I would go to a 1911

I would opt for either the CZ, or the Beretta, or both.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I guess I didn't pose the question properly, I was hoping to get opinions on how people felt about these sidearms from their experiences with them., I've fired some of them & researched others on paper. My range offers some as free rentals and others my friends own.

I already have and idea what I like and dislike in many of them (i.e. Caliber & weight) price isn't my main concern, I'm 28 with no kids and minimal expenses compared to my income.

I collect many things, (i.e. Cutlery, Canes, Tactical gear) I never sell any of them and tend to keep my first anything for sentimental reasons.

All your thoughts & reply's are much appreciated!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    "The difference between success or failure, on the range or on the battlefield, is a function of the quality of our training and not the particulars of our equipment."

Thanks DannyB but I'm not asking which I should buy, I'm asking for opinions on performance, reliability, etc. In all likelihood I will end up purchasing 3-5 of the one's I've listed.

Thanks Sud I will definitely wait on the XDS as you suggested!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    "The difference between success or failure, on the range or on the battlefield, is a function of the quality of our training and not the particulars of our equipment."

Re: Thoughts & Opinions Wanted!

What do u intend to do with said sidearm? Carry, target, display or safequeen? It all kind of matters. The m11 is my favorite out of what u listed. It's good all around. The others are pretty or functional.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

I don't have much personal experience with Kimbers, but my brother owns two, one of which is the CDP (4" barrel). I know he's been very happy with them both. Reliable and highly accurate.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Stay away from the body guard the revolvers fall apart and the lasers do not last I tried to buy one at my local gun shop and the owner refused to sell it to me for that reason he said frends don't let friends friends buy bad guns it was one they rented out at their range he said they have had multibe bg s fall apart so friendly warning how ever I have no xp with them

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    I would go with either the Kimber CDP or Colt Defender.
    Ditto!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    First off welcome to the forum . Now second of all take your time and look at each one of these guns very carefully. Get the specs on them and compare them side by side, some are thin, some are fat, some are tall, and some are short. These are all things to take into consideration with your first EDC gun. If you can find a range that you can rent guns from and shoot, I would suggest starting there this will let you get a feel for each of them. You do have some fine guns listed though and they will each do their part as long as you do yours. Now as far as the 9mm or .45 that is entirely up to you, shoot both and see which you like best and shoot better. I have both 9mm and .45's and I love both rounds, I shoot the 9mm a little more often now since it is cheaper t shoot than the .45. Trust me though, the .45's still get there work out as well. One thing to remember as well, a good belt and holster will make your gun carry even smoother. Good luck in what you are looking for.

My previous EDC was a Kimber Ultra carry great gun; however you can get 2 great guns for that price.

save yourself the time and money and just get yourself a Glock.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links