Thoughts & Opinions Wanted!

This is a discussion on Thoughts & Opinions Wanted! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm currently awaiting my LTC in MA and I'm sure you know all too well how much anticipation that creates! I have been doing all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Thoughts & Opinions Wanted!

I'm currently awaiting my LTC in MA and I'm sure you know all too well how much anticipation that creates! I have been doing all the research I can for my first purchase and have been learning all I can from this great community of people, so here's a list of handgun's that have caught my eye.
    I've been saving for awhile my price range is up to $1500, either 9mm or .45, any first hand opinion's on these or anything similar not listed would be greatly appreciated!

CZ75 P-01
    Beretta Px4 Storm
    Colt Defender
    SigSauer 1911 Fastback Nightmare
    SigSauer M11-A1
    Smith&Wesson BodyGuard
    SpringField Armory. XDS
    Kimber 1911 CDP Ultra Carry

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    "The difference between success or failure, on the range or on the battlefield, is a function of the quality of our training and not the particulars of our equipment."

I don't own any of them however if I had to pick one, I would probably go for the Springfield. My current EDC is a Glock 23
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

I would go with either the Kimber CDP or Colt Defender. The CDP can be found in either 9mm or .45, so you can pick and choose your caliber there. I prefer having external safeties and enjoy the 1911 platform. It does require some tinkering, and so everyone will tell you to buy a glock. Once you have the 1911 figured out though it runs like a champ IMO. Buy good magazines if you go that route (Wilson Combat, Tripps).
    Diddle likes this.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Sig M11-A1...best of everything in my book, but then again, I am biased. Capacity, quality, accuracy, carry treatment,ergonomics and is legendary.
    multistage likes this.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

I'd recommend you find some friends with guns, or go to an indoor range that rents pistols, and spend some time finding out what you like. Nobody here can definitively tell you what to get, as it's all our opinion, based on our experience.

I carry a Kimber Ultra Raptor II, in .45ACP, but again, I can't tell you that it's the gun for you. I've been issued, have qualified, and carried Smith and Wessons, Sig's, H&K's, & Glocks. All have pro's and con's to them, IMHO.

Take it slow, and get the right pistol for you. It's a fun experience and not too costly.

Be safe & good luck with your journey.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

If you live near North Attleboro, you can go to the AFS (American Firearm School). You can rent guns with different calibers and try them out. They have certain rules with the rentals but I am a member there and I would be willing to help you out.
    “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

My two choices on your list would be either the sig or the cz. My edc is a m&p9c For the money its a great little gun.

Thanks guys, that's some quick response time! I neglected to mention that I'm not a total stranger to firearms I have done some recreational skeet shooting on private land in WA as well as fired at local ranges with friends & family for the last 2 years leading up to applying for my LTC.
    I've been leaning to the Kimber 1911 CDP UC for some time now. I was just interested in opinions and found an excuse to up my posts!

::devious expression::

"The difference between success or failure, on the range or on the battlefield, is a function of the quality of our training and not the particulars of our equipment."

Take a good look at the Walther PPS 9mm. Shoots well and very accurate.
    For something smaller for pocket carry....Kimber Solo. Fantastic trigger and also very accurate.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

I've had the Kimber and other short 1911's. The Kimber is a nice piece for carry and shoots the big ol .45acp. Accuracy is ridiculous too.

I have also had the CZ P01. It is hands down the most accurate and fun to shoot 9mm ever created. In SA mode their is a ton of take-up on the trigger, but it works fine. Capacity is 14+1 if memory serves. It does NOT carry as well as the Glocks, M&P's, and Kimbers though, the grip always rubbed my rib cage raw.

FYI, the bodyguard only comes in .380 (auto pistol) or .38 revolver version so I'd skip that one.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

SIG M-11. There is one in my future. Other than price, as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    SIG M-11. There is one in my future. Other than price, as good as it gets.
    32oz UNLOADED, 1.5" thick, 5.5" tall, AND $1100. Not sure that is "as good as it gets" for an EDC weapon. Home defense, sure, 100% agree, but not for CC.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBilly View Post
    I've been leaning to the Kimber 1911 CDP UC for some time now.
    I missed this earlier. If you are leaning toward it, just do it. It is a FINE weapon. You will encounter lots of reports of "failures" with them, but mine have all been 100% reliable and that is the case with most of them. Great weapon.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBilly View Post
    I'm currently awaiting my LTC in MA and I'm sure you know all too well how much anticipation that creates! I have been doing all the research I can for my first purchase and have been learning all I can from this great community of people, so here's a list of handgun's that have caught my eye.
    I've been saving for awhile my price range is up to $1500, either 9mm or .45, any first hand opinion's on these or anything similar not listed would be greatly appreciated!

CZ75 P-01
    Beretta Px4 Storm
    Colt Defender
    SigSauer 1911 Fastback Nightmare
    SigSauer M11-A1
    Smith&Wesson BodyGuard
    SpringField Armory. XDS
    Kimber 1911 CDP Ultra Carry

They're all nice firearms. Try to visit a range that rents guns so you can check out your options. Figure out what works for you and train regularly and responsibly with it. Good luck.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

What I found was that the right gun for the range and home defense was in no way the right gun for concealed carry. I would recommend that you don't blow your whole budget on one gun and assume you'll end up getting a 2nd smaller/lighter gun for concealed carry. This seems to be the way a lot of people go once they realize the awesome two pound beast they bought for the range just isn't comfortable.

For me, my Sig P226 and Kahr 9mm is a perfect combination. The Kahr CW9 is affordable and decent for carry, but not as fun as the P226 at the range for sure.

Re: Thoughts & Opinions Wanted!

Depends on if weight bothers you. If not, strike another for the m11. Of weight bothers you, then get the m11 and wear it until weight doesn't bother you anymore.

Well, that is if u want to shoot 9mm. M11 is only 9mm. P229 shoots 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 s&w. Get a p229 if that's the case. Essentially identical otherwise.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links