Turning 21 in 9 months, first gun for home and CCW

This is a discussion on Turning 21 in 9 months, first gun for home and CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A very wise firearms instructor I know told me not too long ago when I was in your position to find a weapon that fits ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Turning 21 in 9 months, first gun for home and CCW

A very wise firearms instructor I know told me not too long ago when I was in your position to find a weapon that fits you and you can shoot well. It should fit comfortablely in your hand and be comfortable when you carry it. Carry weapons are like shoe's you just have to find what fits you. Purchasing an uncomfortable weapon to shoot means that it probably won't get the range time and therefore won't be accurate if called upon save your life. Just thought I'd pass along some wisdome bestowed on me that helped my decision on my first CCW.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Wow 21. The memories. :) I thought you had to be 21 and older to join this forum. LOL. I'm counting down to my Bday next month I'll be 36. :)

If you can get your hands on a shield don't hesitate. If by some chance you dont like it you could sell on gunbroker for what you paid!

The last two guns on your list are the most appropriate for carry and home defense for precisely the reasons that so many dislike them: the trigger. Let's think...you will carry a loaded gun on your body every day, usually all day. The likelihood of ever having to use it for self defense is small. Therfore common sense dictates that safety to yourself and those around you is the most important consideration.

All guns today protect from accidental fire on dropping or jarring. But when it comes to human error, accidental pull of the trigger is the major safety concern. The safest triggers are those with the longest pull. And with practice, you will easily be able to hit targets at 10 to 20 feet or less, which is the most likely self defense scenario. Years ago, double action only revolvers were very popular for carry (and still are) and people were able to master them for that purpose. A carry gun is not for fun or competition--if you want that, buy a second gun.

People like to pretend that Glocks and similar, short-pull-trigger guns are perfect for every purpose, but they are not...especially for someone new to guns or who is not an experienced and frequent shooter. There is nothing stopping the Glock trigger from being accidentally jerked. The Springfields have a grip safety, but if your hand is on that, then the trigger can be accidentally pulled. At least Taurus and Ruger have the sense to put manual safeties on their short-trigger guns, but even then, in a time of stress you have to worry about engaging/disengaging that safety.

And for home defense, would you be comfortable with a loaded, short-trigger gun near your loved ones? I wouldn't.

The Ruger LC9 and Kahrs are thin, single stacks, and great for carry. If you like the higher capacity form factor of the Glock, Springfield, M&P, I would strongly recommend the SIG Sauer P250. It has a long, safe trigger pull, but it's very smooth and anyone can master it for self defense distances. (And for those who hate this trigger, if you can't hit targets reasonably well with a DAO trigger at SD distances, you probably shouldn't be carrying a gun). It's probably the perfect carry gun it its size category. Comes in 5 calibers and three sizes and can actually be converted due to its modular nature. It's got the SIG quality without the SIG price--considerably less expensive than its three competitors I mentioned. Extra magazines can be pricey--look on the web for deals. As with the Glock, the mags of the larger frames fit the smaller frames.

I would also look at the Kel-Tec P11 and the SCCY CPX-2, two other very competent and very safe guns for carry.

Be safe! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by PABore View Post
    The last two guns on your list are the most appropriate for carry and home defense for precisely the reasons that so many dislike them: the trigger. Let's think...you will carry a loaded gun on your body every day, usually all day. The likelihood of ever having to use it for self defense is small. Therfore common sense dictates that safety to yourself and those around you is the most important consideration.

All guns today protect from accidental fire on dropping or jarring. But when it comes to human error, accidental pull of the trigger is the major safety concern. The safest triggers are those with the longest pull. And with practice, you will easily be able to hit targets at 10 to 20 feet or less, which is the most likely self defense scenario. Years ago, double action only revolvers were very popular for carry (and still are) and people were able to master them for that purpose. A carry gun is not for fun or competition--if you want that, buy a second gun.

People like to pretend that Glocks and similar, short-pull-trigger guns are perfect for every purpose, but they are not...especially for someone new to guns or who is not an experienced and frequent shooter. There is nothing stopping the Glock trigger from being accidentally jerked. The Springfields have a grip safety, but if your hand is on that, then the trigger can be accidentally pulled. At least Taurus and Ruger have the sense to put manual safeties on their short-trigger guns, but even then, in a time of stress you have to worry about engaging/disengaging that safety.

And for home defense, would you be comfortable with a loaded, short-trigger gun near your loved ones? I wouldn't.

The Ruger LC9 and Kahrs are thin, single stacks, and great for carry. If you like the higher capacity form factor of the Glock, Springfield, M&P, I would strongly recommend the SIG Sauer P250. It has a long, safe trigger pull, but it's very smooth and anyone can master it for self defense distances. (And for those who hate this trigger, if you can't hit targets reasonably well with a DAO trigger at SD distances, you probably shouldn't be carrying a gun). It's probably the perfect carry gun it its size category. Comes in 5 calibers and three sizes and can actually be converted due to its modular nature. It's got the SIG quality without the SIG price--considerably less expensive than its three competitors I mentioned. Extra magazines can be pricey--look on the web for deals. As with the Glock, the mags of the larger frames fit the smaller frames.

I would also look at the Kel-Tec P11 and the SCCY CPX-2, two other very competent and very safe guns for carry.

Be safe! Good luck!
    From what I understand, your saying a Glock trigger is more likely to ND than a Kahr? So the Kahr has a heavier trigger pull?

Honestly, from what I have read the Kahr CM9 seems to be a really good carry gun, IF it is reliable. I have read some dodgy reports about Kahr's which makes me cringe thinking if I ever needed to use a full mag for self defense that every bullet may not come out.

However, equally as many reports seem to say it's the best gun they've had for concealed carry.

If you think that a new shooter needs more safety than just a DA trigger, wouldn't a M&P shield carried with the safety on be a good choice?

My only concern is that if I am in a situation where someone comes right up to me out of nowhere I will be on adrenaline overload and not be able to disengage the safety and fire. I realize the chances of a super close encounter out of nowhere is unlikely but definitely possible.

Also, the Sig P250 looks nice. I will look into that.

Another vote for the Glock 19. You can't go wrong with it! And it will have the best resale value (should you want to sell) of the guns you listed IMO. Good luck, have fun and stay safe.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by bm303 View Post
    My only concern is that if I am in a situation where someone comes right up to me out of nowhere I will be on adrenaline overload and not be able to disengage the safety and fire. I realize the chances of a super close encounter out of nowhere is unlikely but definitely possible.
    I personally don't like safeties, others swear by them.. just take as many classes as you can to be comfortable with your weapon of choice and practice, practice practice.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

I'll be the first to say it, since no one else did (sorry, if you did and I skimmed over it). GET TO THE RANGE. Once you're 21, go and test some guns out. Some people absolutely hate guns that other people adore. You won't know what you really like until you shoot it - or at least comparable to what you are looking at.

Turning 21 in 9 months, first gun for home and CCW

Wife and I both have a LC9. Good for carry (thin and works well for iwb) and the heavy trigger is good for safety. It has an external safety which I leave disengaged but wife does not. Takes a little practice but is reliable and accurate for what it is.

As far as home defense I wouldn't be afraid to use it for that but I don't have to as I have a beretta .40 for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Personally not a big fan of 9mm but I would suggest you try as many of your choices as possible and make up your mind as to what you like best.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Kahr CM9 ......its small, conceals easily, packs enough punch to do the job, shoots well and is very accurate. I have shot 25m gongs with mine. At self defense distances I can easily empty a magazine into a 2 inch or less group. I would recommend pearce grip extenders if you have medium or larger hands.. If 9mm is not enough bullet you can get it in 40 cal too.... and supposedly their is a 45 cal in the works.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    The same advice I gave my son..he's in the same-age group as you. Go with a G19. It's a "vanilla gun"(everybody's got one), easy to have serviced, super reliable and feeds from a 15 rd mag. I think that fits the bill. In the house get a quality 12 ga pump. Think a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 or 590. Good Luck !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Also, once you are in college and you get a gun, you must have a safe to lock it in. Simply locking your bedroom door isn't enough. Do not underestimate the stupidity of others. Especially in college. Someone will pick it up and kill themselves, or someone else. It happens on the news all the time.

VIP Member
    Glock 26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Congrats on almost reaching the age of majority. Before you arm yourself, please please please
    please please read these two books:

In The Gravest Extreme

Little Black Book of Violence -What every young man needs to know about fighting

A few hours with these two books may save you a lifetime of grief, or maybe your life.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links