Turning 21 in 9 months, first gun for home and CCW

This is a discussion on Turning 21 in 9 months, first gun for home and CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was very recently in your situation, only I knew I wanted a .45ACP. I had it narrowed down to a full size 1911, or ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Turning 21 in 9 months, first gun for home and CCW

I was very recently in your situation, only I knew I wanted a .45ACP.

I had it narrowed down to a full size 1911, or the Springfield XDs. Settled on the XDs due to both its size/cost.

I would recommend the XDs, in it's present form (.45), or the soon to be released 9mm. The main thing is to shoot alot with whatever you choose.

If I wasn't set on a .45, the Glock 19 seems very appealing. I will be adding one to my collection as soon as I can find a reasonable deal on one.

Good luck!
    Owner, Maple Leaf Firearms LLC (07 FFL/02SOT)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    From your list, it appears you want a striker fired gun. Only one I can suggest, that I have experience with is Kahr CW9 or 45. I would also suggest you get a shotgun for HD. Going to be cheaper than a handgun, and in 99% of cases better choice for HD.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Re: Turning 21 in 9 months, first gun for home and CCW

Ruger SR40c. Concealable, 40 cal, 9 or 15 rounds, and won't break the bank. Same for SR9c and same price if you prefer 9mm

Sent from my phone using Dumb Thumbs

Since you're looking for something to pull double-duty, I would recommend the Glock 19. Great gun. I own the Glock 23, which is the same dimensionally, but chambered for .40. I wear it in a Crossbreed Snap Slide OWB holster under an untucked button-down or Polo shirt. Don't think I'd carry it under just a t-shirt though.

OP: did you decide on something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by s9601694 View Post
    OP: did you decide on something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not yet! I still have a lot of time before I can even purchase a handgun.

However, I have been doing lots of research and I think that the CM9 and Glock 19/26 are probably going to be the main contenders. But I can't say anything until I handle them all.

I could also get both a CM9 and G19 and use the CM9 for pocket carry and the G19 for IWB in the winter.

I have been thinking about if I REALLY need to pull out a gun and shoot to protect my life I probably would want more than a .380. So I think if I could get a CM9 working flawlessly that would be the ultimate "pocket" gun and something like a Glock 26 would be great IWB and as a primary home defense weapon. I wish I had more experience with guns but unfortunately I don't so it will be a lot of trial and error to determine if I want pocket or IWB carry. I think pocket would be ideal for most of the time when its hot out. However, I will need to get a new wardrobe with lots of deep pocket cargo pants. That's no problem though.

I will update this thread for sure when I actually make a purchase, which will not be until the end of this year.

Keep the ideas coming though. I do read every post thoroughly and have been taking lots of notes.

Take care everyone..

Quote Originally Posted by bm303 View Post
    Not yet! I still have a lot of time before I can even purchase a handgun.

However, I have been doing lots of research and I think that the CM9 and Glock 19/26 are probably going to be the main contenders. But I can't say anything until I handle them all.

I could also get both a CM9 and G19 and use the CM9 for pocket carry and the G19 for IWB in the winter.

I have been thinking about if I REALLY need to pull out a gun and shoot to protect my life I probably would want more than a .380. So I think if I could get a CM9 working flawlessly that would be the ultimate "pocket" gun and something like a Glock 26 would be great IWB and as a primary home defense weapon. I wish I had more experience with guns but unfortunately I don't so it will be a lot of trial and error to determine if I want pocket or IWB carry. I think pocket would be ideal for most of the time when its hot out. However, I will need to get a new wardrobe with lots of deep pocket cargo pants. That's no problem though.

I will update this thread for sure when I actually make a purchase, which will not be until the end of this year.

Keep the ideas coming though. I do read every post thoroughly and have been taking lots of notes.

Take care everyone..
    CM9 and G19 would be the way to go! I have a CM9 and a G23 and between the two you're set. There isn't going to be a lot of difference between carrying a G19 and a G26. A G 26 isn't a pocket gun but the CM9 is!!

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    i would look at either a Glock 19 or 23
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I commend you for having your priorities straight. Most soon to be 21 year olds are focused only on getting drunk legally. As for gun suggestions, I didn't see any Sigs on your list so I'd vote for the M&P Shield, except you probably won't find one available to buy until your 22nd birthday.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links