Turning 21 in 9 months, first gun for home and CCW

This is a discussion on Turning 21 in 9 months, first gun for home and CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long story short, I am going to be turning 21 in about 10 months and moving out on my own for the first time in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Turning 21 in 9 months, first gun for home and CCW

Long story short, I am going to be turning 21 in about 10 months and moving out on my own for the first time in my life. I plan on owning a firearm and getting my CCW permit shortly after my birthday.

I have been researching extensively on CCW options. I have concluded that I will probably need something that is small and can be worn IWB but still enough capacity for home defense. I also plan on getting something really tiny for pocket carry, like the LCP or J-Frame. I will be attending college next year so I will be in many situations where I need something extremely concealable in the Florida summer. For the winter I should have no problem carrying a compact 9mm IWB, but not always. Unlike many folks, I don't plan on wearing long sleeve shirts in the 90 degree heat so I can carry 3 extra rounds in my gun. I need something realistically concealable that is still packing power and shoot-ability.

I realize this is an extremely personal question, but I still want to have some ideas to make sure I am not missing anything. I am trying to compile a list of compact or sub compact 9mm's that would carry well and be good as my main home defense weapon. This way I can test them all thoroughly before making my decision. I am very particular about things so I will make sure I can rent and shoot all of these guns.

I am a 5'11 and very lean and lanky. So I don't want to be packing a g17 on my 150lb frame. Take that into consideration with your suggestions.

My list so far:
    Glock 26
    Glock 19
    Walther PPS
    M&P Shield
    Kahr CM9/PM9
    Ruger LC9

If anyone has any tips or suggestions for me, I would really appreciate it. Take care everyone.

2. Remove Ads

The Glock 19 is a great all around jack of all trades first pistol. Easy enough to conceal, big enough to shoot well, decent capacity, and has a light rail so you can mount a light for HD (or carry) purposes. They really aren't hard to hide with a good holster and belt as long as you don't wear super tight shirts. Polo's and button ups conceal a G19 very easily. Later down the road you could get a G26 or an LCP (or whatever tiny gun) for your summer/deep concealment purposes.

I carry a G19 IWB (with surefire attached) most of the time, a G26 during the summer some, and very very rarely an LCP. Actually, I don't think I've carried the LCP since I got the G26 over the summer. For reference I am 6'3" and 195 and always carry my pistols IWB.

If the G19 is too large, I'd probably go with the G26. It's a pretty awesome "little" gun and 11 rounds of 9mm in such a small package is nothing to be looked down upon. Only thing it is lacking is a good way to mount a light. The M&P 9C would be another pistol to take a good long look at. They are somewhere in the middle of the G19 and 26 size wise and allow for a mounted light although I believe light choices are limited since the rail is short.

Of course you could be bold and order a G19, send it off to get a grip chop to take G26 mags and have the ultimate CCW pistol (in my opinion). Concealment of the G26, light rail and sight radius of the G19. Could be carried with a standard G26 mag, G26 mag with +2 extension, or even a G19 mag in it. Could also take G17 mag or even 33 rounder for HD. If I had an extra G19 sitting around you better believe it would be chopped ASAP lol.

Good luck and try to handle as many of them as you can.

I carry my G19 in shorts and a t-shirt year round in Arizona heat. It's very easy to conceal, high capacity, reliable and accurate.

You might also look at a Ruger SR9c. It has a flush fit 10 rd mag making it very compact and a 17 round mag with extension cover. Ive borrowed and carried one and while its not a pocket rocket its extremely compact with the 10 round mag and very concealable even with the 17 rounder under a t shirt iwb.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Any of those sounds good to me, except for Kahr. Way overpriced and not very versatile because of the ridiculous trigger pull. Its good to see a young'in like you who is more concerned about what he's gonna carry for his 21'st rather than the easiest way to get his stomach pumped. Makes me feel better about college kids with CCP's.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

I'm 6' 1" and about 160lbs, and the M&P Shield is very easy to conceal. However you may want to cross it off your list as they are VERY difficult to come by right now.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

"Long story short, I am going to be turning 21 in about 10 months and..."

Ahhhh, I remember the days when I would start a countdown til my next birthday... especially a milestone birthday... 16 get drivers license, 18 to buy alcohol (back before it became 21).... Now I count down in dread... Just 13 months til I turn 50... What a way to start the day... Thanks a lot... *sigh*
    AK_Brian likes this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Dont forget the G27. Same size as the 26 with more "Snap"

I will be attending college next year so I will be in many situations where I need something extremely concealable

Be very careful with guns at school. Here in Nevada carrying in a school zone will get you a date with a judge.

Other guns that you might like are
    Diamond Back DB9. Diamondback DB9 vs Rugers LC9 - YouTube
    Sccy CPX-2 9mm Sccy CPX-2 9mm - YouTube

I'd get a Kahr CM9 and a G19. I have a cm9 an a G23 (same size as the 19) and between the two you're all set. The reason I said g19 is to keep both guns 9mm.

The CM9 is an awesome gun. Great shooter great quality. Great price. I carry it 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For double duty gun the G19 is tough to beat if you can find one. I personally carry a G22 for colder weather and a Kahr arms CM9 for warm weather. The kahr has been a great gun. It is accurate, lightweight, reliable, and affordable. I paid $350 for my cm9 brand new. Their are plenty of holster options, and trijicon, dawson precision and several others make nights sight for the cm9. One note, the cm9 uses a staked front sight as opposed to a dovetailed like every other kahr ( cm and cw series excluded) this does limit the sights that will fit a cm9.

Aside from the shield, the kahr is better than all of the other subcompacts you listed. The lc9 is ok but had a rough trigger IMO, and the pps is pricey. The cm9 has a long but very smooth and crisp trigger. One to keep in mind also is the M and P 9 compact. Alot of guys are trading them in for shields. Slightly larger than the shield, but superb guns. I love the m and p series, I own a full size 40 and a compact 9. The 9mm is my camping gun.

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    Any of those sounds good to me, except for Kahr. Way overpriced and not very versatile because of the ridiculous trigger pull. Its good to see a young'in like you who is more concerned about what he's gonna carry for his 21'st rather than the easiest way to get his stomach pumped. Makes me feel better about college kids with CCP's.
    Um, Kahr's trigger is close to the best in the business and a CM9 wouldn't break the bank.

G19 is a great first gun though...

Quote Originally Posted by bm303 View Post
    My list so far:
    Glock 26
    Glock 19
    Walther PPS
    M&P Shield
    Kahr CM9/PM9
    Ruger LC9

If anyone has any tips or suggestions for me, I would really appreciate it. Take care everyone.
    Right now that entire list is pretty hard to come by!

Anyway, I was never a Glock fan, yet now we have 2-26's!
    I like it because it is relatively small yet holds 10 rounds. With a Pearce Grip Extension 12 or 13. With a 17 mag and extension 19 rounds.

However my pocket gun of choice (outside our our 4 walls) is a Ruger LCR.
    Yup, I am one of the few revolver fans.
    I figure that if 5 rounds will not get me out of trouble I am in a spot that I never should have been in the first place.

Of course if we happen to be on the motorcycle there is always a back up in the saddle bag.....

DracoNsaddlebag-1.jpg

No one can tell you what the best gun is. Only you know what feels good in your hand.
    You need to be comfortable with the gun. You need to be able to operate it in the dark without thinking.

My only suggestion would be to stick with a 9MM. Cost of ammo is one reason. You need to shoot as much as possible to get comfortable.
    .40 & .45 ammo can get quite pricey if you are sending 100's of rounds downrange. Plus kick from a 9 will not be as bad.

Take your time choosing. There are a lot of good guns out there and more on the way.
    Buckeye00 likes this.

The PPS is a fine choice. Very thin, easy to handle and a fantastic shooter. Ask any PPS owner, they are a damn tight gun. If capacity is a worry, get the 8-round mag, which not only fully extends the grip for a full-size feel but gives you 9 rounds total (8+1) which is darn good for a slim single stack.

Downsides to owning a Walther is that magazines are spendy. Expect to pay around $50 for one. Small price to pay, in my opinion, for such a great CC weapon.

Get something cheap and reliable (as much as I hate them, that means Glock). Make sure you can shoot it well before buying it. I can't shoot Glocks to save my life, grip angle is too off for me and I have to fight it to stay on target but others swear by them. They aren't pretty, but they will get the job done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links