Pistol Magazine release issue

Pistol Magazine release issue

This is a discussion on Pistol Magazine release issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On my CZ-82 the grips have only one screw each and when I press the mag release the front of the grip presses against the ...

Thread: Pistol Magazine release issue

Question Pistol Magazine release issue

On my CZ-82 the grips have only one screw each and when I press the mag release the front of the grip presses against the magazine. The magazine is having issues being pulled out and I have to activly strip the magazine to get it to strip.

The question here is does anyone have any idea how to fix this or is the only solution a new set of grips?

I have thought about an epoxy build up on the front of the grip to not press on the magazine when it is pressed in.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The CZ-82, as good of a gun as it is, has two inherent design defects--the grips and the magazine release. Congratulations, you've discovered both.

It is not uncommon for the grips to press against the magazine and prevent it from dropping freely. Seeing as they also have a single-screw attachment only, they tend to work loose with repeated firing. If the mag is dragging when you press and release the button, it's just bad or warped grips. You should be able to see on the underside where it drags, and you may be able to file it down enough to get clearance, but maybe not.

There are several remedies for solving the loosening grips issue. Some say locktight the grip screw, some say place a small o-ring under the screw, you can also replace the pin that hold the lanyard ring/hammer spring basse in palce with a slightly longet one and make shallow holes (depressions really) on the insides of the grips where the pin meets. I've found that a layer of thin, double-sided photo album tape placed between grip and frame will work also.

If the mags won't drop freely with the grips removed, chances are the mag release is binding on the mag. MOst 82 mag releases need to be disassembled and the rough edges polished off to make them work decently.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The screw is tight enough so it does not work its way loose, that seems to be a root of the problem. I have all but re built the release, and it is clearing and dropping fine without the grips installed. I tested that before I came for help. I may try that tape thing, thanks. I may get some new grips and try those though, I may have warped them with the tightening of the screw.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd suggest Marschal grips. Very nice, many choices of wood, color and style. The downside is they come from Poland and you will have to wait 5-6 weeks to get tehm--but they are worth the wait. I bought two sets, both excellet fit and finish. The wood grips do not squeeze in as much as the plastic grips. I haven't had any problems with my mags binding. They'll run about $65 and up, depending on wood selected.

Check here:

Marschalgrips.com
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The CZ-82, as good of a gun as it is, has two inherent design defects--the grips and the magazine release. Congratulations, you've discovered both.
    Wow, I didn't realize that about the 82. The grips flex and contact the mag through the frame?

I have a 75 compact. I thought he was talking about the magazine break CZ is famous for. Don't know if the 82 has the mag break.

Killam, you may be able to find an answer here:
    CZ82 & CZ83 CLUB

Links