A carry gun that fits these qualifiers? Help please.

This is a discussion on A carry gun that fits these qualifiers? Help please. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone.. Been looking for a new carry gun and I have bounced around from everything for a Kahr P9 to a Glock 26. Now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: A carry gun that fits these qualifiers? Help please.

Hey everyone.. Been looking for a new carry gun and I have bounced around from everything for a Kahr P9 to a Glock 26.

Now I have owned a Glock 23 for a long time and I love it. It is my home defense pistol. I can shoot it well. I love.. Wait .. LOVE the trigger as do many others, I know.. Now when I got my carry permit I wanted something smaller to carry and I decided to carry using a "deep conceal" Smart Carry holster. I looked and heavily considered a G26 but it was too thick. Not comfortable... After a lot of looking and reading I decided on a Beretta Nano. And I have carried it for a few months now and I like it, however when buying my first carry gun I wanted something with a heavy trigger and I assumed I would be able to learn how to deal with it .... And I have dealt but long story short the trigger is like trying to tow a car down the road by your finger... And it is affecting my shot groups more than I thought.. In a defensive situation I feel it would do the trick but I would prefer something that I am MORE confident in.. That also has a lighter trigger but also an external saftey..

So as for the reason of this post.. Here are my qualifiers.. And I have found ONE pistol that fits but I want to see what else I can find.

9mm or .40 cal

Thinner than an inch
    External safety
    SA/DA or DAO trigger- I think.. I like the GLOCK Safe action which is DAO but I have felt a SA/DA the felt similar maybe someone can chime I here ...but I enjoy some easy take up and an hard clean break with a short reset.. I.e. Glock safe action, Taurus 24/7..
    Capacity more than 6
    No tools to take down
    Less than 6 inches long..

Well sorry for the long post but there it is.. Let me know what you guys have in mind..

KidFrost

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    quite a few come to mind but you may wish to look at Glock-26 Gen4 or Ruger LC9 as a start or the M&P shield
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    You are thinking way too much here. The 19/23 compacts are among the best three or four guns on the planet for edc.
    Jetfuelrm and Jetfuelrm like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I own a sig p938 mets the specification but only holds 6 rounds in the magazine, but they make extended mag and one in the pipe will give you what you desire.. I love it 1911 ergonomics, small, one of most accurate compact gun I've shoot. Sig's customer service is outstanding, It will soon take the place of the P238's rotation as one of my EDC's once the holster arrives from crossbreed... with just over 500 rounds thru it no FTF or FTE will any ammo used. I'm a little biased I own two p238 also.. would have also recommended the colt defender (own that too) but it doesn't meet your length requirment...(PS I love my G23 too)I believe guns are like shoes and you should have one for each outfit.. the glock, colt, and sig are my EDC's
    Eric357 likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Here are a couple. Kahr CM/PM9, Keltec PF9, Bersa BP9cc. With my money I would take a hard look at the Kahr or Bersa. I have a CM9 that I like a lot.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Shield
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

If it has to meet your criteria, you're in a pickle. Maybe a 938.

Sounds like you may be stuck with a Kahr.

And that'd be OK.

Thanks alot everyone for the quick responses, however most of the suggestions dont meet 4 of the 6 qualifiers. Triggers are in question. I really do appreciate it though. The one and only gun I have found that fits all these qualifiers is a Taurus 709 Slim. Maybe I should just go for one of them.

I realize I am being quite picky, but its a gun, that I plan on carrying, not a pair of shoes or something. So I think I can justify being picky.

Keep them comming if you guys can think of any more, and realize I might be able to "compromise" with a few of the qualifiers, however thickness is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You are thinking way too much here. The 19/23 compacts are among the best three or four guns on the planet for edc.
    I completely agree with you, however there is no way I can conceal my Glock 23. I am 5'7" 155, just to small of a frame to carry that or I def would. They are well over an inch thick and have no external saftey.

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    I own a sig p938 mets the specification but only holds 6 rounds in the magazine, but they make extended mag and one in the pipe will give you what you desire..
    Definitely a gun or gun manufacture I had not considered in my search. However it is well over an inch thick, dosent carry 7 or more, and I am not sure about the trigger, its listed as a SAO, is that going to feel like what I am looking for?

"SA/DA or DAO trigger- I think.. I like the GLOCK Safe action which is DAO but I have felt a SA/DA the felt similar maybe someone can chime I here ...but I enjoy some easy take up and an hard clean break with a short reset.. I.e. Glock safe action, Taurus 24/7.."

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Here are a couple. Kahr CM/PM9, Keltec PF9, Bersa BP9cc. With my money I would take a hard look at the Kahr or Bersa. I have a CM9 that I like a lot.
    Yes I really enjoy a Kahr I have had the pleasure of playing with a Kahr P9, and plan on owning one, just not for carry purposes, a few issues with it are that they do not have an external saftey and the trigger pull is just a long equal pull, and the reset is out a ways. Nothing like the Glock or Taurus 24/7.

Kel-tec, umm just no, they are garbage IMO, very cheaply made and are nasty to shoot.

Bersa BP9- DAO trigger- IDK, No external saftey. Well over 6 inches long.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemobile View Post
    Shield
    Thanks, this is another gun I had not given much though too, it does have an external saftey, it is under an inch thick, it does have 7 round cap, I can live with its 6.1 inch length. Just havent figured out "trigger" terminology, This gun is listed as a SA, again I have to ask,

Is that going to feel like what I am looking for?

"SA/DA or DAO trigger- I think.. I like the GLOCK Safe action which is DAO but I have felt a SA/DA the felt similar maybe someone can chime I here ...but I enjoy some easy take up and an hard clean break with a short reset.. I.e. Glock safe action, Taurus 24/7.."

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    If it has to meet your criteria, you're in a pickle. Maybe a 938.

Sounds like you may be stuck with a Kahr.

And that'd be OK.
    Thank you sir, for your input. I covered these 2 above.

Thanks again guys.

-KidFrost

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    You have experience with Glock, but you're totally dismissing striker fired pistols? I count the Taurus 709 out. Besides the Taurus auto's questionable reputation, the safety is pretty useless ergonomically. I wouldn't count on flipping off that tiny tab. You're better off carrying it safety off, like every other striker fired pistol (except the M&P series. I have the same opinion about their safety-useless).

That being said, you have some great suggestions: Bersa BP 9cc, Springfield XDs, Kahr, Walther PPS

What about the S&W 3900 series? The 3906 was 20 years ahead of its time, but got lost in the plastic hi-cap craze. S&W fans can chime in, but I think the 3913 is the lighter alloy frame model?

VIP Member
    "Originally Posted by Mike1956
    I completely agree with you, however there is no way I can conceal my Glock 23. I am 5'7" 155, just to small of a frame to carry that or I def would. They are well over an inch tick and have no external saftey."

I'm really trying to be helpful. Instead of telling us you can't do it, perhaps you might ask us how we do it. Here is one approach, and there are many others. I'm a bit taller and heavier than you, but I still am concealing one or two Glock 19s and one or two knives on a 32" waist.
    The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Actually, you can get the Kahr PM9 (the .40 too) with an external safety, if that helps.

Kahr PM9 w/ External Safety & LCI - Style # PM9193, Kahr Arms Parts

The shield trigger is similar to a Glock and would meet your requirements except for the extra tenth of an inch in length. Only problem is they are difficult to find. A plus for me is "made in the USA" and S&W customer service, I love mine!

I carry Taurus pt145 generation 3 it has all you want except it is 1 1/8 inches thick and 45cal. The trigger is singal action with restrike. Make sure it is a generation 3.

Not being a Taurus basher I would say the 709 is a great choice. I have one with well over 1500 reliable rounds through it. The thumb safety is in a good ergonomic location and easy to manipulate quickly. The 709 is my EDC.
    See if you can find a local range that rents or perhaps a friend that has one that will let you try it out.

cj
    I'll go with my refrain of...get some additional training from a reputable source...beyond a basic NRA 'defense in the home' or basic pistol course.

From the questions you're asking, it sounds like you've been to no or very little training/education about carrying a weapon in a concealed format, and a good instructor can really help you focus in on what's actually going to be important to consider. For example, many newer shooters like the idea of a safety, but once they have a firmer understanding, realize that they don't actually want one after all. Some still do, and it's possible you're at that stage, but the end result is fairly obvious when you consider the sheer number of top selling firearms out there that don't have them.

So since there's a small chance of actually following up on the training, I'd support the Shield recommendation. Function and performance will be familiar due to your Glock experience, as others mentioned the trigger will be similar to the Glock (the Glock 'DAO' is , in my opinion, largely a technicality which was reached more for competition and some contract purposes), and has a small enough safety that you can ignore it if you choose not to use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links