Do you carry a backup gun? If so, what and why?

This is a discussion on Do you carry a backup gun? If so, what and why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd vote sometimes, LCP. And I consider it more of a quick reaction option more than a BUG. The beauty of the LCP in a ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry a backup gun?

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's the same caliber as my everyday carry

14 5.47%
  • Yes, but it's a different caliber than my everyday carry

58 22.66%
  • No, but I'm thinking about it

60 23.44%
  • No

124 48.44%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Do you carry a backup gun? If so, what and why?

I'd vote sometimes, LCP. And I consider it more of a quick reaction option more than a BUG. The beauty of the LCP in a pocket is I can have it in my hand ready to shoot if need by with out brandishing. With my 229 IWB at 5 o'clock it would be pretty noticable for me to be at the ready.

2. Remove Ads

Currently, no. But I stated a thread on the same topic about a month ago. Still very interested in them. I've concluded I'd like a revolver as my BUG. A 442 or LCR seems to be my calling.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

...primary is P90, backup is always my S&W 649 .38...sometimes a P95 or P97 also...

VIP Member
    I always carry a BUG. Because I need to because of my forum name.
    JoseRomeroJr likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Yes, my J-frame. I do it because it offers another way to draw a handgun. I can always stick my hands in my pocket IF I'm in an uneasy area.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

No back up anymore. Both guns have now become there own identity. The G26 when I can dress in jeans or something a bit more bulky and the KLCR when in slacks or shorts.

I don't feel unprepared with either one.

I'm not looking for the fight, just ready to end it if necessary.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

The better answer is sometimes. When deemed appropriate I carry a Glock 22 as primary and a Kahr CM9 as secondary

I voted no. If I'm carrying a Glock I don't. However on the occasion that I carry my j frame I carry a 380 Taurus as back up.
    Question Everything!

Sometimes...EDC is G19...On those occassions I might feel the "need" to have a BUG, it might be my S&W Airweight 642 or my LCP or my G26...all depending on the circumstances...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    These days, it's a rare occasion that I feel the need to carry a bug.

Back when I did, it was usually a j-frame revolver. G26, LCP and PM9/PF9 have also filled that role on occasions.

Do you carry a backup gun? If so, what and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    Yes, my J-frame. I do it because it offers another way to draw a handgun. I can always stick my hands in my pocket IF I'm in an uneasy area.
    Not to hijack the thread (if this happens we'll start a new one), but how often are ya'll (I'm Texan) going into uneasy areas? I can see off-duty LEOs carrying a BUG, but are ya'll really going through area where a BUG is called for?

Or do you dual carry simply because you can (which is totally fine and acceptable)?

My primary EDC is a Kimber SIS Ultra in a IWB @ 4 o'clock. My BUG is a Sig P238 diamond plate carried on my left side either in a pocket holster or in a DH Hubbard clip holster@ 8 o'clock. In a SD situation, you can't always depend on your dominant hand being free if you need to draw.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they canít get it wrong..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R040607 View Post
    Not to hijack the thread (if this happens we'll start a new one), but how often are ya'll (I'm Texan) going into uneasy areas? I can see off-duty LEOs carrying a BUG, but are ya'll really going through area where a BUG is called for?

Or do you dual carry simply because you can (which is totally fine and acceptable)?
    In my case, I used to do property management in a bad part of town. I've also made some bad (real estate) investments all on my own.

I'm grateful to have cut my losses and lived through it without ever having to shoot.

I own a business near 2 major highways, have a bar a few doors down, and we're open after dark. You don't have to be a rocket surgeon to figure out I'm a likely target when I close up shop.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they canít get it wrong..

I own a business near 2 major highways, have a bar a few doors down, and we're open after dark. You don't have to be a rocket surgeon to figure out I'm a likely target when I close up shop.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links