Do you carry a backup gun? If so, what and why?

This is a discussion on Do you carry a backup gun? If so, what and why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I answered no but have carried two guns at once on a few occasions. I always pocket carry either my LCR or LCP and on ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry a backup gun?

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's the same caliber as my everyday carry

14 5.47%
  • Yes, but it's a different caliber than my everyday carry

58 22.66%
  • No, but I'm thinking about it

60 23.44%
  • No

124 48.44%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Do you carry a backup gun? If so, what and why?

I answered no but have carried two guns at once on a few occasions.

I always pocket carry either my LCR or LCP and on the rare occassion I have carried my LCR or SP101s OWB.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses so far!

To those who BUG a subcompact Glock (26, 27, etc.), where do you carry it? I've heard they're too big for pocket carry but maybe ya'll have large pockets. Or ankle holsters. :D
    If I carry my G26 as a BUG, it is while on duty. It fits in my off-side pocket in my duty trousers, which are made by 5.11 - and I suspect they are purposely sized for a baby Glock or snubbie revolver.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I think for a LE, it might be natural for he/she to carry a backup when they are off-duty. I personally don't think that a backup is necessary for myself. If 6 rounds isn't enough to get me out of trouble, I have no business being in that place to begin with. But if I were in my home, I have enough to fight off a mob

Quote Originally Posted by R040607 View Post
    Not to hijack the thread (if this happens we'll start a new one), but how often are ya'll (I'm Texan) going into uneasy areas? I can see off-duty LEOs carrying a BUG, but are ya'll really going through area where a BUG is called for?

Or do you dual carry simply because you can (which is totally fine and acceptable)?
    Your question boils down to "why carry a BUG?"

My reasons...

* For easier access with my off-side hand, in case my primary hand is injured or unavailable (carrying a child, grabbed by a BG, etc)

* In case my primary runs dry (the so-called "NY reload" is generally quicker than reloading your primary, especially if your primary is a revolver). My needs are discreet, so my primary is small and low capacity. I make up for it by carrying a second gun.

* In case my primary malfunctions

* In case I need to arm my wife (who rarely carries her own...whole 'nother story )

It's not a question of "going into uneasy areas" for me.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Your question boils down to "why carry a BUG?"

My reasons...

* For easier access with my off-side hand, in case my primary hand is injured or unavailable (carrying a child, grabbed by a BG, etc)

* In case my primary runs dry (the so-called "NY reload" is generally quicker than reloading your primary, especially if your primary is a revolver). My needs are discreet, so my primary is small and low capacity. I make up for it by carrying a second gun.

* In case my primary malfunctions

* In case I need to arm my wife (who rarely carries her own...whole 'nother story )

It's not a question of "going into uneasy areas" for me.
    Same here... I carry a Glock 23 as my primary and a cm9 or lcp as a BUG.

I carry a J frame 357 or a G27/33 as a BUG depending on clothing and weather. Usually the J.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

thanks for the great pics. what pair of grips do you like better ?
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Re: Do you carry a backup gun? If so, what and why?

I always have a 638 in my pocket and I carry my glock 27 when I leave the house. My dad always told me the fastest reload is another gun lol. I've really just gotten used to having my j frame with me all the time around the house so I might as well carry it when I go out too. Can't hurt

Your poll should have a "Yes - all the time", "Yes - about half the time", and "Yes - occasionally." I didn't answer because I fit in the "Occasionally" area. When I do, it is always my S&W 442 DAO snubbie .38. It is typically my BUG to my XD40sc or my SP101. When I carry it with my SP101, I carry speed loaders and strips loaded with .38+P so that all of my ammo will work in either weapon (no fumbling trying to figure out which speed loader has what caliber in it since .38 works in both). On really rare occasions, I've carried two S&W snubbie .38s.

Why my BUG an Airweight DAO snubbie revolver? Light, can pocket carry, can shoot it from within a jacket pocket, I can shoot it with either hand, and it can be fired if someone is jammed up against you (close quarters combat). Another reason is both types of weapons can fail...but the chances of a semi-auto AND a revolver BOTH malfunctioning at the same point in time (on that rare occasion in your life when you even deploy your weapon) has to be 47 gozillion to 1. Like 76.4% of all statistics, I made that one up on the spot...but you get the idea.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R040607 View Post
    Not to hijack the thread (if this happens we'll start a new one), but how often are ya'll (I'm Texan) going into uneasy areas? I can see off-duty LEOs carrying a BUG, but are ya'll really going through area where a BUG is called for?

Or do you dual carry simply because you can (which is totally fine and acceptable)?
    My question is this, are you guys going in an area where a gun is called for?

Two sides of the same coin IMO
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

You know, In all the years of being a police officer and carrying a BUG, I never used one. I was involved in two gunfights. In all the years of Homicide investigations as a Crime Scene Unit Investigator, I can only recall one scene in which an undercover narcotics officer used two guns in a fight. He did so because they were revolvers not high capacity handguns which most officers carry today.

If one needs a BUG as a civilain it means you've run out of ammunition in your primary carry weapon. That tells me you probbaly wasted shots. I've seen police officer shootings, and they used theory of "spray and pray" hoping to hit something. Remember, every bullet we shoot we are liable for its ballastics especially terminal ballistics. Just my two cents...I do not carry a BUG now as I'm retired.
    Eric357 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    My EDC is a XD40SC and I carry a LCP or a LCR as bug in lieu of a spare mag. My thought is if I carry a spare mag and my weapon fails are is lost in the fight the mag will be of no use, but a BUG would be. Yes, I travel to areas within Florida that do justify the possible need of a BUG.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
    Do you carry a backup gun? If so, what do you carry and why did you choose that gun?
    When I can carry under a jacket or shirt tail, I carry a Glock 19 or 23 in a Blade-Tech holster on my hip. BUT...I always have
    my LCP in my pocket in a holster or on my ankle also.

I work in an office setting, so work days dictate I have LCP as primary, but in my off time, I do carry two guns.

Call me paranoid maybe, but when my wife and I travel we both have carry guns (2 each) PLUS the suppressed
    Glock with a 33 round mag is laying in the floorboard covered, but easy to get to, just in case, you know what I mean?

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I carry Ruger LCP 380 when I bought it I wanted 9mm none avalible.Most time I carry Glock 17.
    I am going to trade 380 for 9mm I expect trade could be painful as ammo for 380 is expensive.
    I paid $35.00 for box of 50.00.

There are times when I carry a second gun. Most of the time I have only one. I work a a serviceman on residential, and commercial equipment. Almost always in apartment buldings, hotels, motels, Condo's, as well as office buldings, Municipal buldings, Jails, and Courthouses. Obviously there are some locations I can not carry at all.

Normally I carry a light weight "J" frame hammerless revolver as my CCW gun. I guess you'd call it my primary. Some of the properties we service could be described as depressed. While I have no problem working them during normal business hours, if I'm called to one after hours I will carry a second larger gun. Sometimes thats a larger revolver, or a larger autoloader. At that point the larger gun becomes the so called primary. Actually I carry a second gun any time I do go out on nite calls.

I have several gun's in my carry battery. J frame Smiths, K frame Smiths, Colt Detective special, Kahr PM9, Browning BDM, Glock 19, and a Styer M40. I have no problem mixing calibers, or actions.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links