Do you carry a backup gun? If so, what and why? - Page 5

Do you carry a backup gun? If so, what and why?

This is a discussion on Do you carry a backup gun? If so, what and why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never carry a BUG...

View Poll Results: Do you carry a backup gun?

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's the same caliber as my everyday carry

14 5.47%
  • Yes, but it's a different caliber than my everyday carry

58 22.66%
  • No, but I'm thinking about it

60 23.44%
  • No

124 48.44%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Do you carry a backup gun? If so, what and why?

I never carry a BUG

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I carry two 357mag snubs every day all day

my primary and bug
    130130_0003.jpg130115_0000.jpg

Figured this thread would be appropriate for my question.
    I carry a 45 as primary along with backup Mag. I carry a BUG on the ankle, sometimes with the backup mags as well.

Question is, does this make it more likely to be convicted of a crime if a self-defense situation were to occur? The "he was ready for a fight" perception always concerns me when carrying a BUG.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Your question boils down to "why carry a BUG?"

My reasons...

* For easier access with my off-side hand, in case my primary hand is injured or unavailable (carrying a child, grabbed by a BG, etc)

* In case my primary runs dry (the so-called "NY reload" is generally quicker than reloading your primary, especially if your primary is a revolver). My needs are discreet, so my primary is small and low capacity. I make up for it by carrying a second gun.

* In case my primary malfunctions

* In case I need to arm my wife (who rarely carries her own...whole 'nother story )

It's not a question of "going into uneasy areas" for me.
    I carry two on occasion for the same reasons, and often when on the road, one on me and one under the steering wheel. When I'm carrying two on my body my primary is an HK 45c and I have my HK P2000sk as my backup. If I'm only carrying one, it's one of those two depending on what I need to be wearing.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    24/7 Pro C 45acp & LCP

-

Quote Originally Posted by MNewkirk View Post
    Figured this thread would be appropriate for my question.
    I carry a 45 as primary along with backup Mag. I carry a BUG on the ankle, sometimes with the backup mags as well.

Question is, does this make it more likely to be convicted of a crime if a self-defense situation were to occur? The "he was ready for a fight" perception always concerns me when carrying a BUG.
    No. Why do you carry a BUG?. There is too much hype about this. Is it legal to carry 2 guns? I don't know about you but I am ready for a fight..... I plan to win.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by dawei View Post
    I carry two guns every waking moment of every day. Both guns are Taurus® Mdl85SS2UL 38 Specials. Primary revolver has Pachmayr® Compac-Presentation grips. I carry this gun IWB/OWB at 4 o'clock. BUG is carried in front pants pocket, jacket pocket, or in a Galco® ankle holster. Ammunition is Buffalo Bore® 38 Special Standard Pressure 158gr LSWCHCGC..........

OK, I'll bite. What's the deal with the Red and Blue primers? Please tell me you bought it like that, and didn't sit down and color the primers (which may cause them to fail when you need them most). Just curious I guess. Thanks
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Why would coloring the primers cause them to fail?
    Numerous reloaders 'seal' their ammo w clear nail polish, or something similar. Factory ammo is sealed.
    What could you color them with that would effect function?

Also,
    yah, I was hopin' someone would ask. So what's with the colored primers :) ?

dan

I'm not sure that coloring them would cause them to fail, but all ammuniton manufacturers caution you against getting cleaning solvents and/or lubricants on primers. For that reason, I wouldn't take a chance.

There are a lot of smart guys on here (and some that just think they are ) so I'm sure someone will clue us in.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quick answer. No.

NAA .22 mag 1 5/8" barrel. Because my crystal ball is as cloudy as everyone else's. I can't even tell it's in a holster in my pocket so why not? Shoots well at a couple yards but it's more of a booger gun cuz if you get in a struggle with a perp, stick it in their nose and they'll reassess their poor decisions. If not, they get a brain smoothie. Helps if you're struggling with them for your primary or you're positioned so you can't get to it. I put a shotshell as my first round to give them one last chance before they'll force me to end them. The next 4 rounds are 40 grain hollowpoints. They're a lot meaner than you would think. However, they do look wimpy next to a .45 ACP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    Why would coloring the primers cause them to fail?
    Numerous reloaders 'seal' their ammo w clear nail polish, or something similar. Factory ammo is sealed.
    What could you color them with that would effect function?

Also,
    yah, I was hopin' someone would ask. So what's with the colored primers :) ?

dan
    If some of the coloring chemical seeps into the area between the primer and the port leading into the cartridge case where the gun powder is lcoated, it might prevent the primer, when struck, to ignite the gunpower. This is the issue KSBR is conveying...chemicals might prevent a primer for igniting the gunpower...let's look at it this way...would you bet your life that primer will pop ??? If I recall correctly from years of cleaning handguns many years ago shooters were cleaning and lubricating their guns with WD-40...it was found the WD-40 was causing misfires because of the reason I described...

SP-101 most of the time and some times a XDSC as the primary. S&W 642 as a bug.

I don't recall ever carrying two guns. I suppose maybe once or twice I may have but it's not something I normally do. There have been times over the years when I've considered it, and I certainly understand why some people do. It's certainly possible for a gun to break or fail, that's true. In my case it's sometimes a struggle just be sure I always have one gun, much less two. Right now if I was to carry two they'd both be service pistols due to that being pretty much all I have. But I do have a Beretta Nano on the way, and if it proves reliable I can see the possibility of using it to back up my BHP or HK USP. Maybe I would carry it in tandem with my Bersa BP9CC.

When these threads crop up they always make me think. Who knows, down the road I may wind up carrying a BUG more often.
    Stockhausen likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links