What gun to buy advice.... - Page 2

What gun to buy advice....

This is a discussion on What gun to buy advice.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good advice! I just added a H&K USP 9mm to my collection. One because I have always wanted one! And two because I wanted a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What gun to buy advice....

Good advice! I just added a H&K USP 9mm to my collection. One because I have always wanted one! And two because I wanted a full size 9mm with higher capacity mags. It hold 16 rounds which is enough. I also bought four extra 15 rnd mags for it and three more 17 rnd mags for my SR9c just in case
    SR9c
    S&W 620
    Kimber Pro Carry II

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Some people canít tell the difference between someone trying to make a constructive helpful suggestion and being told what to do. Those that think they are being told what to do donít want to listen anyways because they are always right.

and

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Hehe, ok friend. I reckon I will have a beer while you tell C Hawk and Glockman how the wind blows.
    Think I'll join you ...

multistage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    I worship or reverence no man. My experience during the last 58 years has been that someone who is always broke is more than willing to give you financial advice. A single person with no children can tell you how to raise a child. and a wise man that argues with a fool becomes one. You think that it is good for someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the person they are addressing, to tell them not to buy a revolver or 1911, (even though it might be the best tool for them), is a good idea, well I guess I will not argue with you. Go back to your beer.
    Ah, I see: the lone man of iron. A man's man. A (new) guy on a forum who thinks very well established members know nothing of the needs of others, for after all, guns are very individualistic. That is why you NEVER see a "What should I get" thread here.

This is headed south. I'm out before the mods have to start breaking heads. To the mods and C Hawk: sorry for the derail.

It's a little odd how some folks just show up and expect reverence to their statements while bashing established and much respected members for no apparent reason. I've been here for a little while and I know these guys hearts are in the right place. What the OP was laying out was logical, maybe some didn't understand where he was coming from, possibly because they are new and haven't seen this type of thread over and over. I have and so other active members. Why not cool out and see what these people are about before confronting them.

I'll add to the OP that with the inter webs why not do a little research on your own before asking someone else what to buy? I understand that there is a plethora of data and opinion to read through and sometimes it is easier to just ask, but check around a little before asking a question that is all too frequent.

[QUOTE=zamboni;2586769]Some people can’t tell the difference between someone trying to make a constructive helpful suggestion and being told what to do. Those that think they are being told what to do don’t want to listen anyways because they are always right.

and
    It is not a matter of thinking someone is being told what not to do, or it is being"suggested. Read the first post. It says do not buy a revolver or a 1911. The assumption being that if you buy a pistol that later becomes illegal to possess is a better value than what a person might really need to begin with. Maybe what the person needs is exactly a revolver or 1911. How would you know to the contrary? You do not know what anyone needs.
    I don't have all the answers. I do not know what you or anybody else should do ,(other than stop telling others what they should buy or not buy). If double stack pistol with 33 rounds work for you, fine, but don't tell me or anyone else don't buy a revolver, or 1911. You can get somebody killed picking out a weapon for them that is ill suited. You will not find a single post where I told someone what to buy or not buy. It is too personal of a decision. Just because you have figured out what you prefer doesn't mean you can transfer your wish list to someone else.
    So if you are new to guns, first be safe and get some training. Fire as many different guns that you can borrow or rent. figure out what works for you and above all else don't listen to chat room experts that think they can do your shopping for you.

VIP Member
    Looks like we have a merry-go-round post here. Same thing going around and around and around, and getting no where. Personally I'm starting to get dizzy!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I have seen this topic daily on DC for years. Here is my answer to your question. Don't buy a revolver or a 1911, this does not mean I don't own them or love them. It just means that there are better decisions from a stratigic stand point if you don't have all your firearms squared away. Buy a normal capacity semi auto pistol of your choice while you can. If the political issues continue you will thank me, if they never come to pass then you now own a fantastic firearm, and bought yourself a bit of insurance.
    Given that standard capacity glocks, S&W M&Ps, XD's, and many other standard capacity guns that hold more than ten rounds are hard to find and distributors have ridiculous backorder wait time for those guns, I'd say millions of people have already been following the above advice. Plus from news reports discussing the spike in gun sales these past few months it seems there are more and more new gun owners that decided to buy guns because of any possible legislation banning certain firearms. So if new gun owners have finally decided to jump the fence because of the threat of new legislation it is logical to assume they are going to try and purchase guns that may not be available in the next few months due to legislative action.
    Alarm Guy and tkruf like this.

The OP suggests many valid reasons for his recommendations. There is one reason not to follow his advice right now, availability of ammo. I have been able to find either .38 special or .357 mag for my Sp101 revolver, but I haven't seen 9mm anywhere for over a month. A new carry piece with no ammo isn't very helpful. I'm certainly not arguing with the OP, just pointing out something else to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    It just means that there are better decisions from a stratigic stand point if you don't have all your firearms squared away. Buy a normal capacity semi auto pistol of your choice while you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock
    Just like you are making assumptions I am also making assumptions that someone is physically able to shoot a semi auto.
    These 2 parts of C hawk's posts stood out to me...especially the first one. I'm still a newbie here (and to handguns also), but I see the logic in these comments/suggestions. I'm very practical minded in my 'higher dollar' purchases...which to me a firearm is. I would like to buy more handguns as I'm able to. I have a gun list, and a sub-compact semi-auto for my next gun will be my sensible/practical purchase.

VIP Member
    I worship or reverence no man. My experience during the last 58 years has been that someone who is always broke is more than willing to give you financial advice. A single person with no children can tell you how to raise a child. and a wise man that argues with a fool becomes one. You think that it is good for someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the person they are addressing, to tell them not to buy a revolver or 1911, (even though it might be the best tool for them), is a good idea, well I guess I will not argue with you. Go back to your beer.
    Danny,

I have seen many like you come and go. Stay awhile, turn the ego down a couple notches and enjoy. Believe me when I say that there people here like Glockman, Multistage, Hot Guns, Limatunes, Rocky, JD, OD, tangle etc. that have a ton of knowledge and are willing to help and share. I have shared and learned from each and everyone of these folks. I can't speak highly enough about every single one of them. Though we all have not agreed 100% of the time, I have always respected their opinions and know that they based on working knowledge and experience.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Have to agree with C Hawk Glock. Having lived through the AWB of 1994, his advice is spot on:

1. Buy high cap anything while you can
    2. Don't worry about that little J frame or 1911 for now.
    3. Pay no attention to the small single stack anything right now.

Revolvers, 1911's and low cap guns will not be affected by any pending legislation. You can see that the prices of these type weapons
    has not gone through the roof the same way as pistols such as a Glock 17 with its evil high cap mags.

No one here is telling you what to do.....just speaking from experience on what makes the most sense to spend
    you dollars in the current political climate.

Personally, I wish everyone would change direction and buy revolvers and leave my freaking high cap Glock mags in stock
    for ME to buy.
    C hawk Glock, tkruf and GH like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Me too. I just shelled out 78 bucks for a pair of G22 mags for a gun I just picked up last Wednesday and haven't even shot yet.

Danny, I apologise for my short fuse. Been a rough few weeks for all of us, as I am sure you know. While I have been shooting rifles forever, I have only been serious about handguns for a few years. These guy have pointed me true, and continue to do so.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Have to agree with C Hawk Glock. Having lived through the AWB of 1994, his advice is spot on:1. Buy high cap anything while you can2. Don't worry about that little J frame or 1911 for now.3. Pay no attention to the small single stack anything right now.Revolvers, 1911's and low cap guns will not be affected by any pending legislation. You can see that the prices of these type weaponshas not gone through the roof the same way as pistols such as a Glock 17 with its evil high cap mags. No one here is telling you what to do.....just speaking from experience on what makes the most sense to spendyou dollars in the current political climate.Personally, I wish everyone would change direction and buy revolvers and leave my freaking high cap Glock mags in stockfor ME to buy.
    Man I hear you! I just got a Gen 4 G21 and I am dieing to get more mags! This was one I always wanted and figured I had a life time to acquire. Now I am sorry I did not act sooner!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Oh man!! I am off to buy my High Point right now!!!! Before it is too late!!!! Ha!!! Actually if that is all that you can afford go for it. It amazes me how many egos get in the way on any forum. I agree that no two people handle or shoot any one gun the same and that you should try to get what fits you. I say that all the time. But I agree with CHawk that if you can afford to get a decent normal capacity semi auto with plenty of magazines now may be the time to do it. We are totally naive if we think that some sort of restriction could not come out of the current political battle. We are doing (I hope) all that we can to counter it but there are no guarantees that this thing will not work out totally in our favor. Better to be in the position of being "Grandfathered" if needed than not having at all.

I did read your post. Maybe you should read it as well. " Don't buy a revolver or a 1911" What people choose is really none of your business period. What makes your opinion valuable? nothing. I used to work as a service tech in the trucking refrigeration industry. Ever hear of Oakland or Richmond Ca.? I would get called out in the middle of the night not knowing if I was going into a bad situation. Standing on a ladder with ones head halfway into a machine Isn't the best place to operate a pistol if someone wanted to make trouble. Having a S&W model 36/ 5 shot 38 spl in my coat pocket was perfect for me. No slides to rack, no safeties, no ftf, fte, point and shoot if necessary.
    I'm 100% with you. At my local gun store I was looking at a Sig Scorpion and was told by the man behind the counter "Don't worry about that one its not going to be on the ban list, you can always get one of these 1911's". I said "I don't care what's on the ban list, I don't have the money to run around buying what's on the ban list just because its on the list". When I buy a gun because it fits what I like and it fits my hand.
    It's nice to know there are more out there like me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links