What gun to buy advice....

This is a discussion on What gun to buy advice.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen this topic daily on DC for years. Here is my answer to your question. Don't buy a revolver or a 1911, this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What gun to buy advice....

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array C hawk Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    W. Washington
    Posts
    3,551

    What gun to buy advice....

    I have seen this topic daily on DC for years. Here is my answer to your question. Don't buy a revolver or a 1911, this does not mean I don't own them or love them. It just means that there are better decisions from a stratigic stand point if you don't have all your firearms squared away. Buy a normal capacity semi auto pistol of your choice while you can. If the political issues continue you will thank me, if they never come to pass then you now own a fantastic firearm, and bought yourself a bit of insurance.
    tkruf likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array DannyB1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pahrump Nv 89060
    Posts
    119
    The problem with telling people what they should buy is you assume that you know what they need or want.
    I hope someone doesn't take your advice and then end up getting hurt because they had the wrong gun for them. For some a revolver is the perfect solution.

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array xXxplosive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675
    I agree..................what may be fine for me might not fit another's needs.

  5. #4
    Member Array paynetrain1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    53
    Revolvers have gone bang for a very long time, can't knock something that is so tried and true.

  6. #5
    VIP Member
    Array C hawk Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    W. Washington
    Posts
    3,551
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    The problem with telling people what they should buy is you assume that you know what they need or want.
    I hope someone doesn't take your advice and then end up getting hurt because they had the wrong gun for them. For some a revolver is the perfect solution.
    Read my post........especially the part about being squared away. Just like you are making assumptions I am also making assumptions that someone is physically able to shoot a semi auto. You will always be able to purchase a revolver. Right now you can get pick of the litter with both revolvers and 1911's because people are buying semi autos at about 100 to 1 ratio. I still have a few wheel guns and 1911's to get, but they won't be any time soon because of the politcal climate. Not gonna lie, if my royal blue Colt Python shows up I will buy it on the spot. I am still looking for a 4 inch in mint condition.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array SmokinFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,297
    The best thing someone can do is get a firearm that fits them well and that they shoot well, and they like. Take the opportunity to shoot as many guns as possible before you buy. If you like a 1911 or a revolver...get it! If you decide you like something else...get it! Each person has to decide for him/herself what's the best gun for them.
    DannyB1954 likes this.

  8. #7
    Member Array DannyB1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pahrump Nv 89060
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Read my post........especially the part about being squared away. Just like you are making assumptions I am also making assumptions that someone is physically able to shoot a semi auto. You will always be able to purchase a revolver. Right now you can get pick of the litter with both revolvers and 1911's because people are buying semi autos at about 100 to 1 ratio. I still have a few wheel guns and 1911's to get, but they won't be any time soon because of the politcal climate. Not gonna lie, if my royal blue Colt Python shows up I will buy it on the spot. I am still looking for a 4 inch in mint condition.
    I did read your post. Maybe you should read it as well. " Don't buy a revolver or a 1911" What people choose is really none of your business period. What makes your opinion valuable? nothing. I used to work as a service tech in the trucking refrigeration industry. Ever hear of Oakland or Richmond Ca.? I would get called out in the middle of the night not knowing if I was going into a bad situation. Standing on a ladder with ones head halfway into a machine Isn't the best place to operate a pistol if someone wanted to make trouble. Having a S&W model 36/ 5 shot 38 spl in my coat pocket was perfect for me. No slides to rack, no safeties, no ftf, fte, point and shoot if necessary.
    Last edited by DannyB1954; February 1st, 2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: made additional comment

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    8,549
    Having talked with C Hawk for quite sometime now, and I know he is not trying to tell people what to do. In this political climate, his point is to get a hi cap gun while they are still available and legal. You can always pick up a revolver or 1911 later if you desire. Hell, you can probably sell it for double your money and buy an upper tier factory 1911 instead of settling for Manila junk.

    And, his thread was directed to those hundred a week" what gun should I buy" threads that pollute the system. So apparently for those, they don't know what's the best choice for them to start with.

    And I'd say after over 3000 posts and 4 years participation on this forum, he can suggest what he damn well pleases.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array SmokinFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,297
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Having talked with C Hawk for quite sometime now, and I know he is not trying to tell people what to do. In this political climate, his point is to get a hi cap gun while they are still available and legal. You can always pick up a revolver or 1911 later if you desire. Hell, you can probably sell it for double your money and buy an upper tier factory 1911 instead of settling for Flip junk.

    And, his thread was directed to those hundred a week" what gun should I buy" threads that pollute the system. So apparently for those, they don't know what's the best choice for them to start with.

    And I'd say after over 3000 posts and 4 years participation on this forum, he can suggest what he damn well pleases.
    Which goes back to my point that people should try different possibilities before buying. I agree with the premise about buying certain guns now, but if the new buyer prefers a revolver, or 1911, or one of the high-cap guns, or whatever, then that is what they should buy.

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array multistage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    2,345
    C Hawk, as usual, nailed it.

    Having Glockman back him up carves it in granite. Folks would do well to listen to both.

    Good to see you back, Hawk.

  12. #11
    Member Array DannyB1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pahrump Nv 89060
    Posts
    119
    I don't have a problem with suggestions. Someone wishes to say what they like about this or that, no problem. What they don't like about this or that, no problem. I object to self proclaimed experts that have the answer for everyone else, (as in don't buy this or that).
    If you need a high capacity pistol go get it, but if the laws do change and you are caught with it you may be in deep doo doo with the law. Once convicted of a weapons violation good bye CCW permit. Read the post on this site about a decorated veteran arrested for having 30 round magazines in NY. They were legal there at one time. Go to NY and show the nice policeman your double digit magazine pistol. I would rather have a 7 round gun that I can keep and wear, rather than one that I have to keep buried in the back yard, or risk being locked up.

    Nobody really knows anybody else's situation or what they shoot best. Good advice for those who do not know what kind of gun to buy. read Smokinfools post above.
    Last edited by DannyB1954; February 1st, 2013 at 01:28 AM. Reason: chose to rephrase what may be read in the wrong context

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array multistage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    2,345
    Hehe, ok friend. I reckon I will have a beer while you tell C Hawk and Glockman how the wind blows.

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    8,549
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Which goes back to my point that people should try different possibilities before buying. I agree with the premise about buying certain guns now, but if the new buyer prefers a revolver, or 1911, or one of the high-cap guns, or whatever, then that is what they should buy.
    Under the premise the OP layed out, if he knew what he/she wanted, why would they ask for advice?

    You are interjecting an assumption not part of the idea behind the thread.

    So let's break it down; it's not " what platform should I buy"
    It's " what gun should I buy?"
    In that way, it leaves the suggestions wide open.
    I would call it " Preemptive suggestion".
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    8,549
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Hehe, ok friend. I reckon I will have a beer while you tell C Hawk and Glockman how the wind blows.
    Hey friend, drink one for me. The winds seems hot from where I'm sitting:)
    multistage likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

  16. #15
    Member Array DannyB1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pahrump Nv 89060
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Hehe, ok friend. I reckon I will have a beer while you tell C Hawk and Glockman how the wind blows.
    I worship or reverence no man. My experience during the last 58 years has been that someone who is always broke is more than willing to give you financial advice. A single person with no children can tell you how to raise a child. and a wise man that argues with a fool becomes one. You think that it is good for someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the person they are addressing, to tell them not to buy a revolver or 1911, (even though it might be the best tool for them), is a good idea, well I guess I will not argue with you. Go back to your beer.
    Last edited by DannyB1954; February 1st, 2013 at 01:54 AM. Reason: correct spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

anywhere carry 9mm now
,
best gun forums
,
best hand gun to buy
,
best rifle i can get
,

what gun to buy next

,
what is the best revolver to buy
,
what the best pistol to buy
,
whats better to own revolver 38 or 9mm
Click on a term to search for related topics.