Best gun 4 U

Best gun 4 U

This is a discussion on Best gun 4 U within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently had an experience where an individual was telling new people what to buy, or rather what not to buy. So I thought I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Best gun 4 U

Best gun 4 U

I recently had an experience where an individual was telling new people what to buy, or rather what not to buy. So I thought I might give it a go as well. I have been handling pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns since about 1968. I have had many different types over the years.

The best answer to the question of what you should buy as a person new to firearms, is it really depends on you. It would be like you trying to choose a car for me. You might really like Corvettes, so you say that is the one for me, but maybe I have a wife and 5 kids and 2 dogs. See, that car was not a good choice for me.
    Back to guns. There are some excellent sticky posts here explaining the different trigger styles etc. but experience is really the best teacher. once you get a little better understanding of the different triggers, (single action, double action etc.) it is time to get some hands on experience. What I would suggest to you is to groom yourself with clean clothes, a shower and head on down to your local pistol range. You don't want to look like somebody that would attack someone in a dark alley.

Introduce yourself to others and explain that you are new to the sport and ask if you could trouble them with some questions. Most of us have been where you are, and will be happy to talk to you. Some will say get lost. Don't take it personal, just be polite and move on. With the people that will talk to you, ask them what they shoot and what they like about their gun. Ask what type of trigger it has, what caliber it shoots, and what safety's it has etc. If your real personable they may even let you fire a round or two under their supervision. Some gun ranges also rent different models at a reasonable cost.

Some like revolvers, some semi auto pistols, some like single action, some double, and so on. Once you know what features that you prefer, make a list of guns that have those, and see which of them you shoot the best. Maybe the grip angle or sights on one of them will just work better for you than the others. The first gun you purchase will probably not be the last one you purchase, but if you choose wisely you will always enjoy having it. If you just listen to the "chat room experts" that want to tell you that you should buy the type of gun that they like, you might hate shooting it and always regret buying it.

I am assuming that possibly you are a younger person because most older people already have guns or have no use for them, so the last bit of advice that I have is what I learned from 6 years in the Navy and 30 years working on the west coast waterfront. Not everyone who is of your race wants to be your friend, and not everyone of a different race wants to be your enemy. The bad news is there are butt heads in every race and you can't be quick to trust anybody. The good news is that the vast majority of people in every race are wonderful people. If anything having a gun especially a CCW requires you to be nicer to people than you normally might be. This is because if things do start to go bad, the situation can escalate to a point where it can effect the rest of your life. Ask Mr. Zimmerman. Not saying he was guilty or innocent, just the rest of his life will never be the same.

Another good source of info is youtube. Many to choose from but Hickock45, TheYankeeMarshal and others are great.
    niks, candalos, Jackster and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    If one gun was perfect for everyone, there wouldn't be any need for anything other than a Colt 1911.
    DaveInEdmonds and KBSR like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    I've gotten to shoot most guns that I've wanted to by looking at what others are shooting at the range and starting a conversation with them. The people that go shooting are a great bunch of people from my experience, plus most gun guys love showing off their toys. I usually go for the people that look more experienced.
    mano3 and Jaybm like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Hickock 45 is one hell of a glock enthusiast

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If one gun was perfect for everyone, there wouldn't be any need for anything other than a Colt 1911.
    OK, then which would you suggest I consider?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Best gun 4 U

Good post. I agree, there is no one gun that's perfect for everyone. I like glocks (I own three), but the M&P just fits my hands and grip better. There are tons of great pistols/revolvers, but ultimately you just have to find what fits you best. After all, you are the one carrying it to possibly defend your life someday.

Custom Kydex holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.
    www.armatuscarry.com
    www.Facebook.com/armatuscarry
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

VIP Member
    One of the big issues is that most new shooters typically are not proficient enough to properly choose a firearm. They tend to go with feel or cost when they don't have skills to make a good choice. Asking random folks at a range for advice is not setting yourself up for success. I totally disagree with the OP on that part. I find that the majority of people who shoot at any of the ranges I am a member of or attend, can't shoot and are not very knowledgeable. This has been even more compounded by the recent rash of proposed bans.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I hate it when you see or hear of someone getting a snubnose or pocket gun for their first gun thinking that because it is small that there won't be much recoil and will be easy to shoot.

Glad to see them get a gun to defend themselves but guess that guns like that don't get much range time from newbs.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    OK, then which would you suggest I consider?
    Colt, Kimber, Springfield all make really good 1911's, and I'm thinking you know that.

You can spend three times the money for a custom gun from Wilson, Les Baer, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, or many others, if you have the coin. I personally prefer the Kimber Custom shop guns, as a nice compromise between stock gun and custom gun.

But it takes all kinds of folks to fill up the freeway. LOL
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

The OP in this thread makes some good points but is missing the point that any post here is just someone's opinion. Is there really anybody here who doesn't realize that? When someone asks (as happens pretty much daily) "what gun should I buy?" they are inviting other members to give their opinions. Some people state their opinion very succinctly, while others sometimes beat around the bush. Some people will have opinions that differ from yours. That's OK. Either way, it's still nothing more than some members' opinions. OP, no offense, but in my opinion you're taking this whole thing way too seriously.
    C hawk Glock likes this.

He sure is. So am I, but I love my Kimbers to.

Buy what I have, but I'm not telling!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Smarshe View Post
    He sure is. So am I, but I love my Kimbers to.
    LOL. As do I.

I like ANY gun(s) that start with GLO and end with CK.

...and their simplicity and dependability is the reason that they would be my recommendation.
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This OP knows what he is speaking of! I recently became interested in handguns and CHL, and did exactly what this individual recommends. People with whome I spoke allowed me to try their hearing muffs, and one even allowed me to test fire her GEN3 Glock 19. Okay, she worked at the gun store, but that test shooting prompted me to get the GEN4 Glock 19 one week later.

Good advice. Everyone with whom I spoke at the range was friendly and helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links