9mm Polymer help

This is a discussion on 9mm Polymer help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys and gals I appreciate the help. I ditched work and decided to visit a local shop that I don't visit often due to its ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 9mm Polymer help

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Guys and gals I appreciate the help.

I ditched work and decided to visit a local shop that I don't visit often due to its location. He had a couple 9's that i didn't care for and headed back to work. On the way I stopped at another shop I frequent and he had a Shield, an XDm9 3.8, and a 30 minute old M&P9c. I left with the M&P and a box of ammo.
    TX expat likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Pistol’s purpose: This one will be a range only pistol for now, primarily for my wife and kids to shoot. This may also be used by those that are not familiar with handguns and simply want to learn how to shoot and safely handle a firearm. I have several friends interested in learning.

Size: I don’t want what I consider a full size pistol, nor do I want a micro pistol.

Configuration: I do not want a DA/SA if I can help it. A short, DAO or striker fired pistol is desired. Double or single stack is fine. I want a consistent trigger pull on every shot. A thumb safety is fine, although not preferred.

Models I have been tossing around: Glock 19, M&P 9C, FNS-9, Ruger SR9c, some type of Sig, and any other polymer model you can suggest.

Have at it and thanks everyone for your opinions.

I might be a little off here but, might I suggest a .22. You say this will be a range gun for the wife and kids as well as for friends to learn to shoot. For a range gun you still can find .22 ammo and its cheep to shoot. It is a pleasant gun recoil and noise wise which will be good for new shooters/kids. You already have a mild recoiling 38 as well as a something with more power in the 45. Also if your LGS are anything like around here it might be hard to find what your are looking for in a 9mm.

I don't think any of the nines you listed would be a bad choice. Other options for a nine might include the XD (not XDm) series, H&K, or maybe Beretta PX.
    Mark

You posted while I was typing. Congrats on the M&P!!
    Last edited by Mark_in_wi; February 1st, 2013 at 11:55 PM.

VIP Member
    I'm shocked, Deadguy - I thought you had polymer out of your system, once and for all.

I know you know Glock. In your general category, I have a G19, G26, PF9 and PM9. You're welcome to borrow any of them.

As much as I love the G19, I'll admit that I do have a hankering for the M&P (either 9 or 9c).

{edit} I just saw your post on the M&P. Congrats.
    deadguy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm shocked, Deadguy - I thought you had polymer out of your system, once and for all.

I know you know Glock. In your general category, I have a G19, G26, PF9 and PM9. You're welcome to borrow any of them.

As much as I love the G19, I'll admit that I do have a hankering for the M&P (either 9 or 9c).

{edit} I just saw your post on the M&P. Congrats.
    Well since we keep saying we are going to get together and shoot, we can swap wonder 9's and both see what it's all about.
    WHEC724 likes this.

The SR9c is the first pistol I've owned, and I love the little thing. It's accurate (moreso than I am), has been completely reliable over the 800 rounds tha've been through it so far, and is quite manageable in regards to recoil. It has quite a few safety features, sometimes it seems too many. The loaded chamber indicator bothers me intermittently, but I like the ambidextrous 1911- style safety.
    CC is a breeze, a nice holster makes it disappear, especially with the smaller, 10 round clip in.
    I got mine in the two-tone for 400$ a couple months back, not sure if they've gone up since.

Happy Shopping!

Respectfully,
    Sam
    Take the long way home...

9mm Polymer help

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Redneck View Post
    Caracal or Walther PPQ, have great triggers and ergonomics.

YMMV
    You took the words off right of my fingers. The Caracal C and the Walter PPQ have the finest factory triggers of any polymer frame I've come across (and as far as I know I've come across almost all of them). Also, I you can get past the peculiar grip angle the Steyr M9 has a fine trigger as well and it would fit into the Caracal C/GLOCK 19 size category.

God Bless

I have a Glock 19 with an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit. Great combination for the roles you describe.

The M&P9c with a apex comp kit less the trigger spring makes for a darn good range / match pistol and with the apex trigger return spring added a solid CC handun. Grip size and trigger reach is small enought many smaller hands can handle it too. Not allways so with even gen 4 glocks. I allways liked shooting glocks and never though to much of M&P's but after my wife bought M&P9c I have changed my mind but it does need at least a apex stricker block change at least. Good DOA trigger then.

If you and your family like revolver da trigger then the larger kahrs like a tp series are a great choice too. I changed from CC'n a revolver for many years to kahrs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links