9mm Polymer help

9mm Polymer help

This is a discussion on 9mm Polymer help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Itís been a while since Iíve looked for a polymer pistol, and even longer since I looked for one in 9mm (basically never). I need ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 9mm Polymer help

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

9mm Polymer help

Itís been a while since Iíve looked for a polymer pistol, and even longer since I looked for one in 9mm (basically never). I need you guys to help if you can. I have a snubbie that is capable of firing 38 special and several 1911s so no need to suggest these. Iíll break it down into categories that may help.

Pistolís purpose: This one will be a range only pistol for now, primarily for my wife and kids to shoot. This may also be used by those that are not familiar with handguns and simply want to learn how to shoot and safely handle a firearm. I have several friends interested in learning.

Size: I donít want what I consider a full size pistol, nor do I want a micro pistol.

Configuration: I do not want a DA/SA if I can help it. A short, DAO or striker fired pistol is desired. Double or single stack is fine. I want a consistent trigger pull on every shot. A thumb safety is fine, although not preferred.

Models I have been tossing around: Glock 19, M&P 9C, FNS-9, Ruger SR9c, some type of Sig, and any other polymer model you can suggest.

I will admit that I am leaning towards the M&P since I had a 40c and really liked it. However, I have not made up my mind completely. I know the Glock is desired among many, and although I am not a fan of them at all, I am considering it for its purpose. The FNS-9 intrigues me and I think with its larger size (still not a full size) and ergonomics it may be a fine selection.

Iíd prefer the opinions of those that have had/shot at least 2 of these or more for comparison.

Have at it and thanks everyone for your opinions.

Caracal or Walther PPQ, have great triggers and ergonomics.

YMMV

G19 or FNS...you already had an M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
    G19 or FNS...you already had an M&P.
    Yes, but it wasn't a 9mm and it was for me, not for others. I'm not familiar with how the 9mm M&P feels in comparison with others.

VIP Member
    A Glock, M&P, SR9c or FN would all be fine choices. The XD would fit your criteria as well, so I would check those out as well.

The big downside to the FN would be all the FNS models currently released have that nubbbins of a safety, which I personally think is a terrible design, but if you aren't going to carry it for SD, then maybe it's not such a big deal. The SR9c also has an external safety.

I think you should put hands on every one of them because you'll probably find that some 'feel' better than others and while that's no guarantee of anything in terms of use, it might help eliminate a gun or two. One big upside to the Glock is magazine price; you can probably buy two Glock mags for the price of one of all the others, so if you have a thing for lots 'o mags, that might be something to consider.

*** Oh, and I'll add that I've shot the Glock extensively (it's my CC weapon), and I've shot the SR9c quite a bit along with an XD subcompact. I've put rounds through an M&P, although not many; and I've shot an FN, but it was one of the SA/DA models, not the FNS.
    deadguy likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    A Glock, M&P, SR9c or FN would all be fine choices. The XD would fit your criteria as well, so I would check those out as well.

The big downside to the FN would be all the FNS models currently released have that nubbbins of a safety, which I personally think is a terrible design, but if you aren't going to carry it for SD, then maybe it's not such a big deal. The SR9c also has an external safety.

I think you should put hands on every one of them because you'll probably find that some 'feel' better than others and while that's no guarantee of anything in terms of use, it might help eliminate a gun or two. One big upside to the Glock is magazine price; you can probably buy two Glock mags for the price of one of all the others, so if you have a thing for lots 'o mags, that might be something to consider.

*** Oh, and I'll add that I've shot the Glock extensively (it's my CC weapon), and I've shot the SR9c quite a bit along with an XD subcompact. I've put rounds through an M&P, although not many; and I've shot an FN, but it was one of the SA/DA models, not the FNS.
    The mag issue is not a factor for me, which is good because of current climate. It's difficult to get my hands on any of these because they seem to be disappearing rapidly around here.

Re: 9mm Polymer help

I have a PPS 9 and the SR9C. The SR9C has a VERY light recoil which might work well for Wife/kids duty.

FNS is a real sleeper and is IMO one of the best new offerings to come out in a few years. They come standard with Night Sights, three mags.....and an outstanding trigger.
    With mags as rare as hens teeth right now, the three mags would seal the deal for me.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    The mag issue is not a factor for me, which is good because of current climate. It's difficult to get my hands on any of these because they seem to be disappearing rapidly around here.
    Yeah, I'm sure it's going to be tough for a while. You could probably find rental guns if you have any ranges close by that rent them. The Glocks, M&Ps and XDs are all going to be popular enough that finding rentals shouldn't be too much trouble, and if it were me making the choice, I'd opt for one of those three unless you planned to ever carry it, then I'd probably go with the Smith or the Glock.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Walther PPS is perfect for your criteria.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

Glock 19
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

GH
    Glock 19 or M&P 9C. Not overly large but neither are micro. Either will make a good HD pistol as well as good for concealed carry.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Take the wife and kids to the gun shop and ask to see the make/model(s) of the guns you named and see which one(s) they like then narrow it down to the one gun for them to practice/train with.

I have only had experience with the XD 9 and MnP 9. I would suggest the Mnp. The palm swells/grip swell that come with it make it very nice for a variety of shooters. I have admired that about the XDm and Mnp. Hands seem to be much different in shape than guns. I have not picked up a glock that felt comfortable in my hand. That is my only reason for not owning one. The MnP did quite well, was easy to shoot and has all of the desirable characteristics of the bunch you mention. I would not hesitate to buy one, and am strongly considering the compact version for CC.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

...a "fullsized" Kahr polymer frame with a DAO trigger might be what you're after...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links