Lint collection

This is a discussion on Lint collection within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use remington dri lube on all my guns. I started using it in Iraq to minimize cleaning time and keep dust from building up ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Lint collection

I use remington dri lube on all my guns. I started using it in Iraq to minimize cleaning time and keep dust from building up and I love it. Cleanup is a breeze, just hit it with some canned air and go. My sundays are my clean and check days for my carry weapons and it takes 20 min tops. When I go to the range I do put a drop of oil on the slide rails and such, as I prefer oil for extended shooting.
    Jackster likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Gunzilla, when not used in excess, seems to not attract lint and dust like other lubes I've used.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Remington dri lube? Never thought of that.

And this individual spent time in Iraq. Former military, I assume, but perhaps a contractor. This is the type of member I want to learn things from!
    CharlesMorri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gun1 View Post
    Has anyone noticed their guns collecting lint? Is it anything to be worried about? I carry a S&W M&P40c in a Crossbreed IWB between my undershirt and my dress shirt/polo on the outside. It has been collecting fuzz ever since I put it in that holster/position.
    Before cleaning, field-strip gun, use compressed air to blow off lint etc + tweezers. Make sure you point the can so lint blows OFF the gun, not into its innards. Check the firing pin spring "hole" and firing pin and long firing-pin spring that was in the "hole", clean the "hole" with cue-tip and then spray compressed air thru it, check extractor "hook" (it shows in chamber if semi-auto), anyplace else you can think of that get can "catch" lint. The firing pin hole just check on occasion. The rest after each use + the compressed air (but BEFORE cleaning and with gun field stripped).

This should keep the gun relatively free of lint. Also check your clothing. Does it easily give off lint? That can be a problem. Switch to clothing that doesn't.
    Perhaps holster too. If its too minimal it exposes gun to lint all the time you Carry.

If you Carry cocked & locked 1911 REALLY check near hammer, manual safety and grip safety. For that gun, be sure to break it down and get rid of lint. As another poster suggested: easy on oil or use grease, and not a lot. This stuff, TW25b is very good, a very thin film is all you need:

http://www.mil-comm.com/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=65

Is all this a pain? You bet. But you're Carrying a GUN, not a candy bar. And a gun you may have to use in an emergency. You want it to work flawlessly. Pain or not, get rid of junk in it.
    Last edited by detective; February 2nd, 2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Snub44 likes this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Angry badger hit it right on the head .if there's too many to fit in one box, I'll take the overflow and clean them over a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBadger417 View Post
    I have no idea why everyone is lying to you. I'm going to be straight with you. It's a huge problem. If you don't follow these instructions it could get very bad for you.

1. Buy a big box
    2. Neatly place ALL firearms in that box
    3. Apply postage
    4. Mail them to me. I will teach them how to de-lint themselves. This could years but it is well worth it
    DON'T DO IT! Mailing them is illegal if you don't have an FFL. UPS or FEDEX them to me! I'll make sure they are properly instructed in how they can shed their lint accumulations!
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

I use it as an excuse to shoot more often. Don't give the lint time to build up.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...carry IWB under a pocket T...lotta sawdust and sheet rock dust...makes for frequent cleaning...even when working "clean" the lint builds up...most of it blows out easily but it's like Sixto said...I use a little Remoil and it doesn't gum up and pack...
    This is me, I carry IWB in construction work 5 days a week. I don't clean it but once every few weeks. More often than that, I take it to the range, pull it out of my holster, and shoot it over and over again - lint, dust and all. I really have a hard time being worried about a little lint stopping my gun from firing. I even used to carry a little TCP in my pocket, it would get unbelievably dusty but still went bang every time (except when it had feeding problems, but that was the gun itself).

Has anyone here ever had a gun not fire from lint/dust??
    I have more range trips with a dusty gun than I do with a prestine one. Now of course, I wouldn't go like 2-3+ months letting lint/dust build up but I sure don't clean it every week. I have done this with several different guns I've carried, never had one issue.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

If you did not carry that evil gun you would have no problems with lint. In fact , if you did not own a gun all the worlds problems would simply go away. there would be no more sickness, no more poverty, no more crime. All would be right with the world. All evil would cease to exsit. Everyone would be happy. Please send all your guns to me so I can help Obama save the world for our children.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Be careful with that reasoning, its not true. However, a Jframe does make a nice little pocket gun. Anyway, be careful with the compressed air; make sure its a dry air, like whats sold to dust off electronics. Air from an air compressor is very wet, and thats not good to push water vapor and lint into your gun.
    I actually get more lint on my XD when carried IWB than I do on my 642 in my pocket (Nemesis or Mika pocket holster). I like the 642 because the internal hammer eliminates one point of entry for lint. I do hit them with some canned compressed air every couple of days.

Cheers
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

MJK
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yup, its an issue. But it can be minimized by using very little oil- the worst I've seen are always way over lubed.
    ^^^^^ What Sixto said ^^^^^
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Here are a couple pictures of my carry gun taken down this afternoon:

IMG_9486.jpg

IMG_9491.jpg

I think it has been about 3 weeks to a month since I have cleaned it. When I cleaned it today I used a Q-tip to wipe it down with solvent, regular gun cleaning kit for the barrel (patches, brush), and then coated the slide with oil on the Q-tip, as well as the parts inside and the frame rail. I don't have a compressed air can to use. I did inspect the mechanism/spring where the firing pin is and it appeared to be pretty clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Remington dri lube? Never thought of that.

And this individual spent time in Iraq. Former military, I assume, but perhaps a contractor. This is the type of member I want to learn things from!
    Thank you. I spent 6 years active duty Army, serving two tours in Iraq. The Remington Dri lube anwered my soldiers laziness, and the fact the middle east is a dust bowl. CLP seemed to do nothing but collect every dust particle and the dri lube just let it fall off. I spray on, wipe off, and repeat once a week when I clean. Also, another trick I can share. Photographer's ( I am one of those too :) use a rubber squeeze thing to blow air when they clean camera sensors. I use one of those in place of canned air. They cost around 15 bucks and you only buy it once. I use a Giottos rocket. And it has a pointed tip to get into smaller places like trigger assemblies and such.

Yes, it is a problem. I carry an LCP in a pocket holster. You have to see how much lint gets into that gun, but it only takes a few minutes to clean it up and check it out. Well worth the trouble to make sure that everything is working fine.

Be safe!
    detective likes this.
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

I just cleaned my gun after 2 months and it had a fair amount of lint.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links