Lint collection

This is a discussion on Lint collection within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone noticed their guns collecting lint? Is it anything to be worried about? I carry a S&W M&P40c in a Crossbreed IWB between my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Lint collection

Lint collection

Has anyone noticed their guns collecting lint? Is it anything to be worried about? I carry a S&W M&P40c in a Crossbreed IWB between my undershirt and my dress shirt/polo on the outside. It has been collecting fuzz ever since I put it in that holster/position.

2. Remove Ads

Are you serious?

If you wear cloths lint is a fact of life. From my "big ole" belly button alone, I collect winter fire starter for my wood burning stove and the dead skin cells also ignite very well...

More than one way to skin a 1911
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Administrator
    Yup, its an issue. But it can be minimized by using very little oil- the worst I've seen are always way over lubed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

...carry IWB under a pocket T...lotta sawdust and sheet rock dust...makes for frequent cleaning...even when working "clean" the lint builds up...most of it blows out easily but it's like Sixto said...I use a little Remoil and it doesn't gum up and pack...

Just get you a can of compressed air and blow it off occasionally. That's what I do.

I only wear clothes that produce tactical lint. American made tactical lint.
    KBSR, archer51, Paco23 and 6 others like this.

i carry my lcp in my front pocket daily and it gets covered in lint,really bad..not too much you can do other then wipe it down more frequently..

Yes, I feel you. I noticed lint behind the hammer of my Walther just this week, and I was so embarrassed! I took Hoppes and a Q-Tip to it before I rationalized that this will be a fact of life. I am accustomed to keeping my long guns in pristine condition, but if ya think 'bout it, the pistol/revolver gets carried much more and in clothes no less.

...me thinks that daily cleaning is in order for my situation, anyways...I likes to wear cotton, and that is a lint producer big time. Oy! The travails of natural fabric!

Lint is one of the primary reasons I choose to pocket carry a J Frame revolver instead of a small semi-auto-fewer parts and mechanisms to get gummed up.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    Lint is one of the primary reasons I choose to pocket carry a J Frame revolver instead of a small semi-auto-fewer parts and mechanisms to get gummed up.
    Be careful with that reasoning, its not true. However, a Jframe does make a nice little pocket gun. Anyway, be careful with the compressed air; make sure its a dry air, like whats sold to dust off electronics. Air from an air compressor is very wet, and thats not good to push water vapor and lint into your gun.
    archer51 and CharlesMorri like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Used to be a problem. Not any more. Now I take the lint and make a tactil pillow. I am getting about a pillow per month.
    Yes, lint, dead skin cells, whole body dandruff and all sorts of ucky stuff can and will collect on year firearm and everything else. If it gets to bad it is possible for it to cause function problems. It can also get into parts that you can see to easy.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Try using a lube like EEZOX which dries to a film. It helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem.

When ever I hear about or see doing a 'press check' I always smile to myself, because to me it's a 'lint check'.

I do a de-linting of my carry gun (1911 types) every few days, as doing it every week and a half or two weeks left be afraid the buildup around the hammer could hamper reliability.

I am also careful with my H&K P7 as one time I carried it for a couple weeks and the build up in the striker channel was so bad the gun sounded really off when I dry fired it. a test with a live round proved it still functioned fine, but I am careful to clean it often.
    NRA Life Member

I have no idea why everyone is lying to you. I'm going to be straight with you. It's a huge problem. If you don't follow these instructions it could get very bad for you.

1. Buy a big box
    2. Neatly place ALL firearms in that box
    3. Apply postage
    4. Mail them to me. I will teach them how to de-lint themselves. This could years but it is well worth it
    1MoreGoodGuy and Jackster like this.
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's a sign that the lint filter in your belly button is full and needs to be cleaned out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I switched to a Dri Lube to keep lint and dust to a minimum. I used to send out my double action revolvers that were carried for a yearly cleaning to get the lint out. My semi auto guns are much easier to strip and clean. DR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links