Glock 19 vs Walther PPK/S .380

This is a discussion on Glock 19 vs Walther PPK/S .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all! I am experienced with long guns since 1975, but new to concealed carry and handguns (since April 2012). Although I have been exposed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Glock 19 vs Walther PPK/S .380

Glock 19 vs Walther PPK/S .380

Hello all! I am experienced with long guns since 1975, but new to concealed carry and handguns (since April 2012). Although I have been exposed to handguns since childhood, I never felt the need nor desire to get one.

That being said, now I have two and a CHL in Ohio. My first purchase was my G19, to which I have added a CT laser and TruGlo TFO sights. In October I purchased a Walther, which I have wanted since I saw one in Rat Patrol sometime in the late sixties.

I carry the G19 OWB, and the Walther in a Galco pocket holster. I feel more confident with the G19...not due to the 9MM vs .380 argument, but because the G19 carries double the rounds of the Walther or it is more tricked out...or both. BOTH guns are VERY accurate, more so than me, anyway, and I am consistent with each to 45-ft.

I guess I am seeking feedback from LEOs, veterans who have seen combat, and survivors of self-defense situations. Although the G19 carries twice the firepower, I think that if I can not hit my target within the first three rounds, 13-more are not a benefit. I am FULLY aware that I am legally/morally/ethically responsible for every round that I send through the air, and I DO NOT want to endanger innocents downrange, so...I wonder if 16-round capacity is a benefit. One of my majors in college was Psych, and I theoretically know that when fight-or-flight kicks in, fine motor skills evaporate, but is the extra capacity worth the risks to bystanders?

The Walther is MUCH MORE easily concealed than the Glock. I do not really want to carry both, and the Glock is fine when I have a cover garment. I know some will say to carry each depending on the clothes I wear, which I already do (I am a suit, and the Walther gets carried more frequently). As I said, I feel more confident with the Glock.

Can anyone else relate and feel where I am coming from?

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated, and thank you for your time to those who respond.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My Glock 19 is as small as I go for edc. As for handgun round count, multiple accurate center mass hits do not necessarily result in an immediate stop. Better to have extra rounds than to not have enough.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Actually, that is a wise reply, and the first one. Thank you!!

VIP Member
    Well the Glock is too big for pocket carry, but I conceal mine with no problem using nothing more than a t-shirt. Find a good IWB holster and see how you feel about concealing it that way.

I, for one, would offer you the opposite advice when choosing a carry firearm. I'd say stick with one, period. If you are carrying and get into a bad situation, which do you think would be better to deal with: Drawing and operating your weapon with muscle memory and familiarity working for you or having to draw one of two guns, one of which operates differently and has an external safety that you may or may not have engaged?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Well the Glock is too big for pocket carry, but I conceal mine with no problem using nothing more than a t-shirt. Find a good IWB holster and see how you feel about concealing it that way.

I, for one, would offer you the opposite advice when choosing a carry firearm. I'd say stick with one, period. If you are carrying and get into a bad situation, which do you think would be better to deal with: Drawing and operating your weapon with muscle memory and familiarity working for you or having to draw one of two guns, one of which operates differently and has an external safety that you may or may not have engaged?
    Agreed on all points. Whenever I carry two, which is as often as not:
    glocks edc 007.JPG
    zonker1986 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    ...Although the G19 carries twice the firepower, I think that if I can not hit my target within the first three rounds, 13-more are not a benefit.
    Get that thought out of your mind right now. It is flawed thinking.

Understand, if you are ever in a fight for your life, it will never go the way you imagined it will. Second, you will quite possibly be facing more than one, or even two bad guys.

No one has ever survived a gunfight and felt they were carrying too many rounds in their gun. No One!

There are however, plenty of folks taking a dirt nap for not having enough.

Just something to think about.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Get that thought out of your mind right now. It is flawed thinking.
    Thank you! Yes, I went to college, but I will be the first to say that does not mean I am intelligent...just fond of mental anguish. ...and full of flawed thinking!
    Yes, sir, that IS something to think about. Thanks again! Napping in the dirt does not sound comfortable.

You have to make up your mind. It truly is that simple.

Can you do what must be done to ensure that you and your family are protected? Whether the answer is yes or no, it's on you.

Having said that, a Glock 19 is what I usually grab (shares time with a SIG 229). It is reliable. It is accurate. It is concealable (easily, with a good belt and holster). I often carry a 22 or a 31, full size guns in 40 and 357 SIG. Never had a problem hiding any of them. It is tough to beat the confidence that comes with knowing that you have 16 rounds on board, ready to go. The 19 hides very well.

So far as a 380 goes, I carry one of those as well: a SIG p238. This one rides in a pocket, and is a backup. As easy as one can hide a 19, I see no reason to trust a 380 (6+1 rounds) to do it all. As Bark'n said, nobody ever made it through a firefight wishing they had less ammo, or a less powerful gun.

Carry the Glock. Imagine you and your family getting braced by three punks. If you had only the Walther, you would sell your soul for that 19.

Best of luck.

Thank you for the replies. I felt more confident with the Glock, and thought, perhaps I was weird, like my ex-wife has said. That topic, however, needs to go into a different category to post. I have been advised that it only takes a second or less to change mags, but I figured why include that extra step.

Now if I could only get comfortable with my G19 IWB.

Thanks again everyone!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Thank you for the replies. I felt more confident with the Glock, and thought, perhaps I was weird, like my ex-wife has said. That topic, however, needs to go into a different category to post. I have been advised that it only takes a second or less to change mags, but I figured why include that extra step.

Now if I could only get comfortable with my G19 IWB.

Thanks again everyone!
    On a closely related topic, you should always carry a spare magazine for whichever gun you are carrying. The magazine is the weak link in any semi-auto, and having a replacement for clearing malfunctions is quite important.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Did you read the recent story about the Georgia mom who shot an intruder 5 times in the face and he ran off?

If he had been of the mind to press the attack, he was evidently still quite capable.

What I'm saying is the 3-5 rounds may not be enough for one BG. And then there is the threat of multiples as mentioned above.

All handgun rounds basically weak, but we can't walk around with our shotgun or rifle slung, so we carry them for convenience.
    Bark'n likes this.

Well you just picked two of my favorite guns. I love the Glock 19 and have been though many many guns and this gun has been my favorite as long as i can remember. Now as for the walther ppk 380. I have carried a walther ppk or ppk/s since the early 70's. I own three of them. As a retired LE officer for 30 years I have to tell you as a holster gun on the belt I love my Glocks. As an off duty all the time gun the glock is a pain, it's too big. I carry a walther ppk in an ankle holster and have done so forever. If a gun is big and bulky you are going to leave it home. As for the comfort factor of the 380, fear not the 9mm kurz with make some nasty holes in a human body. Remember it's a defensive gun, in fact both are. Practice with both but the walther will be with you at all time, so practice as much as possible until your confident with the pistol that you can hit where you point it and relax about the caliber issue. Much too much is made about caliber when it placement that really does the damage.

jackster The bersa thunder plus 380 might be a option . Its slightly larger than the ppk/s and lighter empty but with a 15 round double stack mag that should make the loaded weight the same and have the feel and function of your ppk/s that you allready like so well. Just a wider grip. Carries very well tucked IWB too. Old faithfull holster kits are very low cost to try too.
    Thunder Plus

If a gun is big and bulky you are going to leave it home.
    I disagree on the PPK over the 19.

I carry a 19 every day concealed, and if I need smaller the least I go is a Glock 26.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    I disagree on the PPK over the 19.

I carry a 19 every day concealed, and if I need smaller the least I go is a Glock 26.
    Did you keep your tricked-out 26 after you up-sized?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links